AWARDDING BADGE TO RE-ENACTORS

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

LESTER

AWARDDING BADGE TO RE-ENACTORS

Post by LESTER »

I belong to a WWII German re-enactment group. We host a private tactical, historical event. As a unit, we would like to award our commanders with the Iron Cross. I am told that there is an award for outstanding leadership. but I cannot find what i need. Can someone help me? Tell me exactly what I need? I have the history, but it is not quite detailed enough for me. Where do I go?, How do i go?, Definite description. Thankd hoops!!!
Lustmolch
Supporter

Post by Lustmolch »

There is a medal called the War Merit Cross, it looks like a Maltese cross with a swastika in the centre and these could be awarded for outstanding service to the war effort (I think the grade of Iron Cross were specifically medals for valour).

There were various grades of this medal, a google search should provide the information you need. Replicas are available I think, try Nicholas Morigi's site if you are based in the UK.
Terje
Supporter

Re: AWARDDING BADGE TO RE-ENACTORS

Post by Terje »

LESTER wrote:I belong to a WWII German re-enactment group. We host a private tactical, historical event. As a unit, we would like to award our commanders with the Iron Cross. I am told that there is an award for outstanding leadership. but I cannot find what i need. Can someone help me? Tell me exactly what I need? I have the history, but it is not quite detailed enough for me. Where do I go?, How do i go?, Definite description. Thankd hoops!!!

I do reenacting myself, but am against reenactors donning medals. I consider it disrespectful toward the soldiers who did earn those medals through risking their lives.
If however the medals are used by actors on a stage I don't see any problems because nobody expects any respect or even knowledge from these 'soldiers'. I simply expect more from dedicated reenactors - yes, even if it IS a private ceremony. It's not what others see, it is what you see.
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

Medals and re-enactments aren't such a problem with UK or US forces since their troops didn't tend to wear decorations or ribbons in the field. Germans and Russians - well it's a moot point isn't it? I mean if you want accuracy then it's not very realistic to have a German combat unit without anything on their uniforms. A 1944 infantry squad impression must realistically have at least a few EKII or EKI, Eastern Front ribbon, wound badges or assault badges. Unless you're all brand new replacements, that is!
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
PaulR
Supporter

Post by PaulR »

There were many a Hauptmann who did not have an Iron Cross Second Class(much less a first class), just as there were many Generals who did not have the Knight's Cross.
Always looking for Luftwaffe Administrative uniforms
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The Iron Cross was awarded without regard to social class or military rank. Contrary to the apparent belief of some, it was not given out with the daily rations. The EK2 was very much an earned award. In fact, the majority of German awards had to be earned the hard way.

PK