Looking for sites with good detailed maps

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
canadien
Supporter

Looking for sites with good detailed maps

Post by canadien »

Are there any sites with good detailed maps from world war two specifically poland,belarus and russia up to moscow, where all the cities and towns of the area are on the map.

thanks again for any and all info :D :[]
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Send a PM to TOM (Moderator) as he has a WWII Map business. If he can't help you, he will be better suited to tell you where to find what you are looking for.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Dan, thanks for the vote of confidence, but unless I have something good in an atlas or reference book, I generally just troll the web!

Granted, I've come across a bunch of good sites. Perhaps I need to sit down and start making a serious list of sites, and what they offer. Task number 874 on the list. I think I'm at number 27 now... :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

Trolling the web is the best way to find what you are looking for.
Personally I mostly use this site as a starting point:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/
Most maps here are large scale and modern but they help narrow down the regions and places I am interested in and often are the kickstart to more refined Google-searches.

cheers,

Paul
canadien
Supporter

Thank you very much all

Post by canadien »

Thanks everyone your info came in quite handy , i also found another one i like http://multimap.com/

cheers to all :beer: :up: :[]
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Be careful with multimap. I've used it, but don't take it as accurately as a military topo. I've been warned by some of them European types that multimap's European maps can be a wee bit off. How much, I don't know. Take them as good guides, but don't go planning any fire missions off of them!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
canadien
Supporter

Ahh kk thanks

Post by canadien »

Okay thank you tom, much obliged :up:
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Fire Mission 4 Mortars.....
"Bombs in the Air.....where do you want them? :shock:
Last edited by sniper1shot on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
brian_05

Re: Looking for sites with good detailed maps

Post by brian_05 »

canadien wrote:Are there any sites with good detailed maps from world war two specifically poland,belarus and russia up to moscow, where all the cities and towns of the area are on the map.

thanks again for any and all info :D :[]
I tried to do the same, finding some good maps to accompany some reading I was doing. There were not all that many maps that were workable from the internet so I ended up going to my largest nearby library and made copies from pages of the best atlases they had. Some atlases left much to be desired.

Good luck,

Brian
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Looking for sites with good detailed maps

Post by Tom Houlihan »

brian_05 wrote:I tried to do the same, finding some good maps to accompany some reading I was doing. There were not all that many maps that were workable from the internet so I ended up going to my largest nearby library and made copies from pages of the best atlases they had. Some atlases left much to be desired.
And that, Brian, is why I started freelancing from my work for Aberjona Press. I wish more authors (or more importantly, publishers!) would recognize the need for decent maps to accompany these otherwise fantastic books being marketed! Come to think of it, that's what I say on my website! Thanks for understanding! :up:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
brian_05

Post by brian_05 »

Paulus II wrote:Hi all,

Trolling the web is the best way to find what you are looking for.
Personally I mostly use this site as a starting point:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/
Most maps here are large scale and modern but they help narrow down the regions and places I am interested in and often are the kickstart to more refined Google-searches.

cheers,

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for that map link. Best I have seen yet.

Brian
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Thank you Brian,

I'm using some of those maps as a basis for my own maps. It is a very laborious business to change them to how the terrain would have looked during the war but it's well worth wile. Photoshopping them with dozens of new layers takes ages and I haven't finished even one yet but one day I will! (hopefully within this year :wink: )
I'm working on two maps. One is a large scale map of Russia. The map itself is finished but what I want to do is draw in the frontlines for every month of the war. Each month on a different copy of the map so that they can be seen as single entities and viewed one after the other in a slideshow. The map is large enough to have room to comfortably fit in all units from Army Group to Korps. Maybe I'll take it as far as the Division level.
The other is more detailed and is composed of the maps of Holland and Belgium fit together to make one map. When it's finished it will show the progress of Fall Gelb in great detail.
Though it's a job best suited to Medieval monks I enjoy working on them a lot. Well an hour a week or so :D
The most difficult bit is finding the right period reference maps to properly paint in the roads and railways of the time. If you think modern modern atlases are crap, check out those from the 1930's :shock:

Cheers,

Paul