Bad Hollywood Idea

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Bittrich
Contributor

Bad Hollywood Idea

Post by Bittrich »

I do believe that Hollywood is trying too hard especially the Sci Fi channel. Last night I watched SS Doomtrooper. It sort of was a mix of the Wolfenstein games and the Dirty Dozen movie, but ended up being quite lame. The plot was about an evil German scientist (original.... not) using radiation to create a Frankenstein like monster in a secret lab in France. A special force type mission is planned to take out the lab. From there the movie sucked. A T-34 was used as a Panter tank. The tank fired point blank at the monster with no effect, he was blown up in a depot and finally electricuted.

Please feel free to comment or add any other bad movies with a WWII theme that started off with promise, but half way through it you realized that you wasted an hour of your life or worse yet two hours of you life.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

What junk! :shock:

another is the movie "What eagles dare", where a few Allied commandos under Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton drop into some mysterious Bavarian castle held by "elite" :roll: Alpenkorps and SS troops. Real unrealistic, how they gun down so much German troops, which according to probably Alpenkorps and SS standards, would have been trained well. Also, the bit about the Allies general being held in the castle is quite unrealistic, considering is this sort of thing happened it would all be in the history books.

I'm sure that there are many other smaller movies like this.... :evil: @{

Kevin
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

There are many, especially the older ones!

Allied forces fighting german forces, a machine gun mowes down hundreds of germans, a grenade is thrown and hundreds of germans die,
if the germans toss a grenade only a few allied soldiers die , or the grenade is thrown back and yet again a hundred germans die!....
TimoWr
Enthusiast

Post by TimoWr »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:Also, the bit about the Allies general being held in the castle is quite unrealistic, considering is this sort of thing happened it would all be in the history books.
I just watched the teletubbies. Very unrealistic. If such creatures actually existed it would be in all the newspapers. In other words: don't bash plain fiction amusement for historical inaccuracy. Or do you also watch "Allo, Allo" that way?
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi, Timo.

The teletubby classic child program could hardly be compared to a war movie. And that war movie is diffrent, as it gives the wrong impression to people of German soldiers, who they think are just "things" mown down, like the portrayal in the movie, and not as human beings. Some inaccurate entertainment is ok, but not to the point where the innaccuracy changes how real people fought and died. The negative effects of Hollywood, you see.

Kevin
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Danke, Bittrich! I had seen it on the schedule, and wanted to watch it out of (morbid?) curiosity. I ended up catching a few parts of it. Lame works. I woulda used 'weak.'

It did look like the costume department made a decent effort, though, but I wasn't able to pay as much attention as I wanted.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

But NONE of them surpass THAT episode of the original Star Trek series LMAO

(Lost in Spcae, the Time Tunnel etc. ALL did the same - if there was a movie being shot on a nearby lot or soundstage, the costumes were grabbed for a few days! The old British UFO series was far better, they actually PLACED it in a film studio! Aliens getting chased round the set of every British sitcom or Hammer movie you ever recognised!)

phylo
TimoWr
Enthusiast

Post by TimoWr »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:And that war movie is diffrent, as it gives the wrong impression to people of German soldiers, who they think are just "things" mown down, like the portrayal in the movie, and not as human beings.
Does it matter? That's Hollywood for you. Get used to it.
Helmut Von Moltke wrote:Some inaccurate entertainment is ok, but not to the point where the innaccuracy changes how real people fought and died. The negative effects of Hollywood, you see.
Are you just as sensitive about the Russians killed in Rambo III? I would not compare any of the soldiers in such movies with real people. They are simple "the bad guys", regardless of the uniform they are wearing. What's next, objections against the way the German pilot is killed in a tunnel in Indiana Jones' Last Crusade? German pilots were not really that stupid you know :wink:
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

which reminds, me, the way they treat those security guards in star trek, pfff!

Crap war films: Sven Hassel's Wheels of Terror and the 'sequel' to Cross of Iron both spring to mind, although I'm sure many worse were made in Cinecitta during the 1970s. Frauleins in uniform anyone??
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

saod the decurity guys - theres not a single crapper on the whole bloody ship!

FIVE years???

phylo
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

they'd lay down newspaper in the transporters then beam it down to the nearest convenient planet!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

"Ventilate, Mister Scott...."

phylo
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

heh, Dirty Dozen was cool, pretty stupid but cool and funny.
Semper Fi!!!!!
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I find Dirty Dozen humorous as well though I am pretty sure it wasn't intended to be that way. I could never figure out why the fat guy snapped and went crazy.

Now about the evils of Star Trek...of course this is coming from a Trekkie. :wink:

I mean Honestly didn't Captain Kirk remind you of Stalin? He played the pretty boy and let all his red shirts get slaughtered. I mean come on like it was really a coincidence that Kirk went the right way? Lies! Kirk sending those poor boys into a human wave charge so they would distract and he could hog the glory. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

I have a friend who finds the idea interesting. I feel better in the present thank you.
Semper Fi!!!!!