Schalkhaar politie

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Heijink

Schalkhaar politie

Post by Heijink »

I'm looking for informtion on the Schalkhaar politie in the Netherlands during WWII.

I suspect a family memebr was involved with this group.

Any info or a push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Lorenz
Patron

Re: Schalkhaar politie

Post by Lorenz »

Heijink wrote:I'm looking for informtion on the Schalkhaar politie in the Netherlands during WWII.
There isn't very much in English on it:
Shortly after the beginning of the occupation, the SS organized a new body, the Communal Police, replacing the multifarious municipal forces in the larger cities (each of which had, prior to this, its own distinctive uniform). The SS designed the Communal Police uniform which they modeled on their own. (Black, but without an open neck and tie). The occupation authorities decided that the Dutch police required to be “stiffened” with an infusion of politically more reliable members. As a first move in this direction, some 3,000 soldiers from the demobilized Dutch army were selected for special training under SS direction. For this purpose the Police School at Schalkhaar (near Apeldoorn) was used. The new officers of the law were consequently referred to by the Dutch public as the Schalkhaar Politie – a force which quickly acquired an ugly reputation. Some police units wore cuff titles in the manner of the SS, and any policeman who was also a member of the Dutch (Germanic) SS could wear the SS runes on the left breast pocket of his tunic.
[Source: Littlejohn, David. Foreign Legions of the Third Reich. Volume 2: Belgium, Great Britain, Holland, Italy and Spain. San Jose (CA): R. James Bender Publishing, 1981. pp.214-16].

That's all I could find. You can probably find a lot more in the Dutch language. Have you tried a "Google" search?

--Lorenz
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

There are two good threads on the Schalkhaar Politie on Axis History Forum. Both provide quite a bit of information plus links to Dutch sites that have even more information:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... c7dde2367a

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0338c4903a

--Lorenz
haen2
WWII Vet

Re: Schalkhaar politie

Post by haen2 »

Heijink wrote:I'm looking for informtion on the Schalkhaar politie in the Netherlands during WWII.

Hello Heijink.
did you try "Waffen-SS.NL ?
I presume you know dutch, so there are a lot of fellows there that might be able to help you.
Groeten
HN

ps note correction to website
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Heijink

Post by Heijink »

Thanks folks.

My Opa was a police officer before the war and my aunts tell me my Oma always called him a Nazi, with real venom in her voice so it wasn't such a stretch for me to conclude he may have joined this group.

I was able to find a picture of the uniform with your help. I'm going to run it by some family members to see if they recognize it. They were young at the time and probably didn’t understand the climate but the uniform might ring some bells.

Thanks again.
haen2
WWII Vet

Foto

Post by haen2 »

I'll be looking forward to the picture; from that I probably can tell you at least some about it.

I still have the notion that you are related to my fosterparents of 7 years 8) :D
Jan Willem, and Cornelia. with a daughter Jansje Gerarda.

There are not that many Heijinks as far as i know.

"Oom Heyink" and his family were VERY anti-German., by the way.

HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Heijink

Re: Foto

Post by Heijink »

haen2 wrote:I'll be looking forward to the picture; from that I probably can tell you at least some about it.

I still have the notion that you are related to my fosterparents of 7 years 8) :D
Jan Willem, and Cornelia. with a daughter Jansje Gerarda.

There are not that many Heijinks as far as i know.

"Oom Heyink" and his family were VERY anti-German., by the way.

HN
His name was Wilhelm (William) from a small villgae just outside the Hague. My Oma's name is Wilma. They had five daughters and a son who was stillborn.

I'll run those names by my mother. I certainly hope you're right.

George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

That same photo can be found on page 207 of Jan Vincx's Landstorm book.
Heijink

Post by Heijink »

This is a photograph of my oma where what I'm 99.9 % sure is he the uniform of the Schalkhaar politie. My tells me it my Opa's uniform and she put it on for the picture. My mother has a wedding picture in which he is wearing the same uniform. She's going to get it scanned for me as I am in Manila.

Any thoughts?

Image Image
Ernst-H
Supporter

Post by Ernst-H »

That image of your oma sure looks like Schalkhaar.

Just checked my info on the new uniform that was introduced for the "normal" police accross the country in 1941 and they did not wear the "flaming granade" on their caps.

So it looks like your Opa might have belonged to the Schalkhaar Police.

You might want to investigate this further at NIOD in Amsterdam (Nederlands Instituut voor Oorlogsdocumentatie)

They should have a record of him.

BTW. it wasn't uncommon for wives to put on their husbands uniform. I have many many examples of such practice in my collection. Often such pictures are mis-identified as female personell