Info on Operation 'Panama' Wanted

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Robert Hurst
Supporter

Info on Operation 'Panama' Wanted

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi

I would be most grateful if anyone can give any information on the above operation.

The only information that I have come across is as follows; two Kriegsfischkutter KFK202 and KFK203 were allocated to the Kleinkampfverband and sent out on Operation 'Panama', a saboteur frogman operation to the Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean. They sailed from Norway in January 1945 and were last heard of off West Africa.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can let me have any information.

Regards

Bob
Peter K.
Contributor

KFK202 / Kfk204

Post by Peter K. »

Hi BOB !

According to Herwig Danner, Kriegsfischkutter, KFK202 was damaged as UJ2314 on 09051944 near Sewastopol, Black Sea, by artillery fire. Despite that KFK202 reached Konstanza, but is missing since this time!

Also according to the source mentioned above, KFK203 and KFK204 were under the command of the KdK in 1944, but unfortunately no details were given. KFK204 was finally sold to Marokko in august 1963.

I know a person, who is perhaps knowing a little bit more about that and I´ll try to contact him!

Greetings from Austria

Peter K.
Robert Hurst
Supporter

KfK 202/204

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi Peter K

Thanks for replying to my post. I look forward to hearing what your friend has to say.

Regards

Bob
Peter K.
Contributor

KFK

Post by Peter K. »

Hi BOB !

Unfortunately I have no answer from my contact until now, but I´ll keep on with my efforts!

Greetings from Austria

Peter K.
Peter K.
Contributor

KFK203 and KFK 204

Post by Peter K. »

Hi BOB !

Now I have some additional information:

Christian Nissen, a well knowned German sailor, was commanding two secret operations with small sailing boats to Ireland in 1940 (fishing boat without an operational engine SOIZIC and sailing yacht ANNI BRAZ BIHEM).

In 1941 Nissen made another long range journey, this time to Southafrica. with the sailing yacht KYLOE.

From 1942 to 1944 three more operations were made unter the command of Heinrich Garbers with the sailing boat PASSIM to Angola, Southeastafrica, Brasil and Argentina.

In the meantime Nissen became part of the "Küstenjäger" and on 22.03.43 the SKL was informed about a planned operation REISERNTE to Luanda/Angola.
Until May 1943 nine sailing boat were found by the SKL, but none was accepted by Nissen. Instead he chose two KFK´s on 23.05.43, which building was started shorty before at Burmester, Swinemünde. Both vessels were heavily rebuilt at Eckmann, Hamburg, as sailing vessels (263 m² of sails, deplacement 125 t). A sketch is available!
Ships and crews were ready in september 1943, but the massive engagement of the "Küstenjäger" in the Mediterranian stopped the operation REISERNTE and some more against harbors at Icland and Gibraltar.
Instead KFK203 and KFK 204 took part at operation GREIF in the autumn of 1943 - a secret operation to observe the Swedish water at the Kattegat against Allied freighters, which tried to break through.
After that, both vessels keep aktive, but no details were found. In 1944 they were defintetly attached to the "Kommando der Kleinkampfverbände", but perhaps only for camouflage reasons.
On 17.12.1944 KFK204 was beached at Helgoland, but could be rescued the next day.
At the end of 1944 both vessels (one under the command of Nissen) started their operation REISERNTE, sailing from Flensburg. Their first target was Harstad, Norway. That´s the last certain information about KFK 203.
After the war KFK 204 was handled to C. Laß, Kiel, and was rebuild as a fishing vessel. Later it was owned by H. Rehbein, Kiel-Stade and named SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN (mark STRA5, SO12 and SK57). In august 1953 (?) is was sold to Karin Husseini, Casablanca/Marokko.

Sometimes it is claimed, that both vessel were sunk on 01.02.45 southwest of Harstad by bombs - that´s definitely wrong!

BTW, the heavy rebuild of these vessels into sailing boat seems to be very sucessful - after the war, more than 20 KFK were rebuilt in this manner.

I hope, this new information is of some help for you!

Greetings from Austria
Peter K.