AK-47, AK-74 Best Assault Rifles?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

AK-47, AK-74 Best Assault Rifles?

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Well, they've been around, but no one seems able to better them. You can find them in just about every conflict. Is there any finer family of assault rifles available today?
The AK-47 seems sort of like the Colt 45 in the Old West--The Equalizer!!
Same with the RPG-7, which still packs an awesome punch. And how many anti-tank weapons do you know of can be used for their shrapnel effect against troops?
Cheers, D
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

AK's and RPG's = cheap and widely available.

That is the main reason for such widespread use, although neither are badly made either.

I would say that several series of weapons - M14, G36, Aug - are at least as fine as the good 'ol AK.
Guillermo
Contributor

controversy

Post by Guillermo »

Was the AK-47 based on the Sturmgewehr 44? They are so similar.

I'd like to read your opinions. Thanks.

Guillermo
gorbag
Supporter

Post by gorbag »

Based on possibly...inspired by, definately.

And the AK series is pretty good at it's designed purpose- hosing down the landscape when the Motor Rifles dismount and make an assault, while keeping working despite poor maintenance and climate extremes. In Somalia, we found some original AK-47s (not AKMs, as they had the machined receiver blocks) that seemed to keep working happily, though the barrels were shot just about smooth and they looked like they hadn't seen a cleaning brush or lube bottle since they left Soviet hands.

It is kind of telling, though, that the new Russian AN-94 went for all the "western" style doodads in the redesign.
In the battle between good and evil, evil usually has more fun.
Freiwilligen

Post by Freiwilligen »

Colt .45? In the Old West?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

He means THIS "Colt .45" The Peacemaker LOL

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

While in the Army back in the early 80's we went to the range for qualifing with our M16A1's, there also happened to be an M.I. company firing AK47's and after we were done with qualification, for whatever reason, we were allowed to fire a few rounds from their AK's. I hit targets just as well with the AK as I did my own M16. I remember the one I fired rattled like mad, don't know if there were just that worn out or just built that way or a combination of both. Anyway I left with a favorable impression of the weapon.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

well, that usually boils down to a very opinionated response, it somewhat depends on what you would like in a rifle, as none are perfect.
Based on possibly...inspired by, definately.
the old debate... it never ends...
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

basically, the AK is internally more alike to the M1 Garand than the StG44.

IMHO the best AK child is the Finnish (who else?) RK 95 TP, AK reliability with 1 MOA accuracy, a folding stock, a not so loud fire selector and other stuff. and the Israelis bought the machines that they made their Galils with from the Finns...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rk_95

and IIRC, the RPG-7 isn't effective against tanks anymore. mind you, they kept that in mind when they designed the tanks.
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
MOGUERA
Supporter

YAY!

Post by MOGUERA »

AK47. it can defeat cover better than AK74. My WASR10 will be customized this weekend with the following mods:
A. TAPCO Galil-style handguard, no top cover(Better ventilation).
B. Retaining plate to replace wire.
C. Stainless Steel handguard liner.
D. Krens ladder ghost ring sight as a replacement for regular sight.
E. Kitten-simple EOTech: center front post painted with Testor Flourescent
Green paint.

And my gunsmith pal is charging only 20 rounds of .12 gauge buckshot for said mods(I furnished the rifle and mod parts) :D
Jesus Christ-don't enter eternity without HIM!
Got Bill of Rights?
Got .45 acp?
Got AK47?
Got 4 wheeler?
Got Doberman Pinscher?