Volkswagens

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tim
Supporter

Volkswagens

Post by Tim »

Hi everyone......
Does anyone have any photos information that can assist me in regard to the use of the beetle by German armed forces during WW2?, very hard to find decent photos on the web, I think I found one!

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tim
Supporter

Post by Tim »

Fantastic, loads there, thank you Nordwest... Regards
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Tim wrote:Fantastic, loads there, thank you Nordwest... Regards
Hello Tim!

Are You trying to build a Replica of the "Kommandeurwagen"...?

I know several Replicas here in Germany, made from VWs produced in the early 1950s, some of them come very close to the original "Kommandeurwagen".

The Problem is, to find the correct Parts for a Replica, some of these Parts are to find in Poland or Tschechien(Reproductions), expensive Stuff.
(Also Parts for "Kettenkrad" and "Kübelwagen" are reproduced there, in very fine Quality...)

I will look for Photos conc. the Replicas, btw, interesting Topic! :D

Gruß

Michael
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

this guy sells parts to convert newer beetles to Kommandeurwagen: http://www.kooblekar.com
best regards
Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer
Last edited by xavier on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

xavier wrote:this guy sells parts tro convert betles to Kommandeurwagen: http://www.kooblekar.com
best regards
Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer
Thanks to Xavier, but the Link is well known...

BTW, why does this Person name the Car "KoobleKar", the correct Term is "Kübelwagen", or Kfz. 1, VW Typ 82, nothing else.

Michael
Koen[B]

Post by Koen[B] »

BTW, why does this Person name the Car "KoobleKar", the correct Term is "Kübelwagen", or Kfz. 1, VW Typ 82, nothing else.
because it's a replica?

Koen 8)
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

dont know why you would pay those prices when for a little bit of looking around you can find a fully restored one for $20-$25,000.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

von_noobie wrote:dont know why you would pay those prices when for a little bit of looking around you can find a fully restored one for $20-$25,000.
Because there's a big difference between driving around a reenactment battle in a kooblecar, and a real one! :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

yeah and i would rather go and spend $25,000 on a real kubelwagon
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Thread was started, asking for the Beetle "Kommandeurwagen", the Type VW 87, not the "Kübelwagen".

Give me just one Link, to a original pre 1945 "Kommandeurwagen" for the Price around 25.000,- Euro?
(In any Condition...)

You will not find a single one, worlwide, even for the double Price, ...when it comes to the so called "tropenfest" Version of the VW 87, the Price would rise skyhigh, the few leftover Cars are in Collections and Museums.

The rare "Schwimmwagen" is to find, sometimes offered, but not a "Kommandeurwagen", not a single Time in the last 10(?) Years...?

Dont mix Things up... :wink:

Michael
Koen[B]

Post by Koen[B] »

click on the thumbnails, Hessisch-Oldendorf 2005

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Koen
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tim, Classic Military Vehicle magazine here in the UK did an article in January confirming what I'd always been told - that the first uniformed army users of the Beetle, was.....the British Army! When the poroduction line was restarted in 1945 the British Zone military monitors were issued with them

phylo
odjennings

Post by odjennings »

phylo_roadking wrote:Tim, Classic Military Vehicle magazine here in the UK did an article in January confirming what I'd always been told - that the first uniformed army users of the Beetle, was.....the British Army! When the poroduction line was restarted in 1945 the British Zone military monitors were issued with them

phylo
The first "order" (since the British controlled the factory they just did it on their own) was for kubelwagens. About 550 were produced for the British Army in 1945 before the Russians cut off delivery of the Kubelwagen bodies (the Budd plant produced the complete bodies which were then mounted on the chassis at Wolfsburg, and the Budd Plant was in the Russian Zone). Since the Beetle stampings were there at Wolfsburg, production of the Beetle took off after that since that was the only option available to use as a vehicle body.

It is interesting to speculate on whether or not there would have been a Beetle as we know it if the Russians had continued to allow the delivery of the kubel bodies for, say, another 6 months.