Command Tanks

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

wiltaz
Contributor

Command Tanks

Post by wiltaz »

The Germans used command tanks (Pz Bef Wg) in their Panzer HQs. This was because most panzer types only had room for receiving sets and had to communicate with signal flags. The commanders got tanks modified with either fake armament or reduced ammo loads in order to carry more radios.

I've looked into Allied tanks and although their organizational structure usually lists tanks in the HQ element I don't see specific command tank versions of their tanks. Was this because their tank models could be equipted with the proper radios without modification or did they not use "Command Tanks" the way the germans did and relied on other radio vehicles???
nigelfe
Enthusiast

Post by nigelfe »

As far as UK was concerned C&C tanks at sqn and higher level had at least a second radio (both No 19). Remember the No 19 set was actually 2 wireless in one, the standard version comprised a HF set for longer ranges and a UHF for intra troop/sqn (and the vehicle harness provided iintercom for the crew). OP tanks were basically C&C tanks but with even more radios. In some cases this meant they used dummy guns. I'd guess the standard C&C tanks carried slightly less ammo.
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

I think it would depend on the time frame.
wiltaz
Contributor

Post by wiltaz »

Thanks for the info given.

Does anyone else have more specifics on Command Tanks in the Allied use. I've found info on OP tanks that the British used which had no guns and from what I've read they were given to artillery officers and senior officers. The US I've read made command tanks by removing the turrets and gave them to senior officers only. The example I've read was a divisional commander. I'm more looking for the tanks assigned down at company and battalion level in their HQs. Trying to find out if they were issued just regular tanks like the rest of the unit had or if they were modified with more radios and less ammo. The Soviets had command tanks of most of their versions from what I've seen, but their command tanks didn't have extra radios in most versions, the command tanks were the only ones with radios. So in a sense their command tanks seem equaled to most other major nations normal tanks. Their average tank had no radios at all early on.