Masterlist KC-Holders HJ-Division

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Masterlist KC-Holders HJ-Division

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Work started , infos here :

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic.php?t=3388

Jan-Hendrik
Bittrich
Contributor

KC winners

Post by Bittrich »

Jan-Hendrik,

Nice list. I especially enjoy the photos accompaning each one.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Panzerass
Supporter

Post by Panzerass »

Thanks for the nice comment. I made that first thread on HJ-Ritterkreuzträger at panzer-archiv. :D

Indeed a useful and good idea by Jan-Hendrik to make such lists.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Which unit will be next ? PanzerLehr ?? :D

NORDLAND update follows tomorrow ...

Jan-Hendrik
knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

WOW!!! :D

Nice Forum... :wink:

Good Luck!

Michael
Bittrich
Contributor

List

Post by Bittrich »

Panzerass,

What can I say? Keep up the good work.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

First let me say that I really appreciated the Hitlerjugend KC-list. Especially as it had some (for me) new photos of these Officers and NCO's. But now a thought that struck me when I regarded this particular list. Several of the Knight's Cross holders had won their awards prior to their service with the HJ Division. For example Beck and Kraas. When a similar KC-list on the LSSAH is put together, these two officers have their rightful place there. Or is it common practice when these kind of unit/award lists are compiled by historians and writers to mention all KC holders serving in the unit in question, no matter when in their careers (in other units) the awards came?

With best regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Panzerass
Supporter

Post by Panzerass »

When I made the HJ-KC holders list, I put all men, who served in that Division toghether, no matter if they got it prior to their service with that unit or not.
I guess that is the same way with the Nordland list.
What I don't know is, if it is common practise or not.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Dear Krollspell ,

These list show those decorated men as an example for the many unknown men who served in these divisions . Prior to this it is not so important if the gained their Ritterkreuz during service in other units before .

Jan-Hendrik
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Panzerass and Jan-Hendrik!

Thanks for replying to my question. The reason why I asked this is mainly because I'm a "list"-fellow myself, who like to keep track of award winners in the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS. I've looked through some books since my last posting and apparently there is no coherent system of listing Ritterkreuzträger...
Some books lists all RKT serving in the subjected unit in the same way as your listings. Craig Luther's "Blood and Honor - The History of the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitler Youth, 1943-1945" (1987) is one example. Naturally giving the award dates and previous units for the RKT in question.

Another Bender book, "Hermann Göring: from Regiment to Fallschirmjägerkorps" by Roger James Bender and George A Petersen (1975) has a more detailed structure on the RKT listings with labels as "HG members, "Former members of RGG" and "Those transferred to HG formations after being awarded the KC for previous gallantry" etc.

Looking through some Munin Verlag books, for example "Wie ein Fels im Meer - 3. SS-Panzerdivision Totenkopf im Bild" by Karl Ullrich (1984), it only lists RKT who recieved the award while belonging to the Totenkopf. Then again, that particular Division maybe didn't get any reinforcements of personel already being Rittetkreuzträger?

I will stop here. My first post wasn't really ment as a question, nor a statement but just simply a thought... And Jan-Hendrik...
These list show those decorated men as an example for the many unknown men who served in these divisions .
I fully agree with you! That's naturally the most important aspect in real life...
Panzerass and Jan-Hendrik, keep up the good work and compile more lists :D

With best regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)