Uniform verification

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Spankeem

Uniform verification

Post by Spankeem »

Hi,

I recently purchased what was purported to be a Latvian SS tunic. It has a sleeve eagle and Latvian flag on its left hand arm, although the Latvian badge does not have the country name - although I have read that this is not uncommon.

Above the left hand breast pocket is an award bar - just one, perhaps an iron cross.

The left hand pocket has runes on it (I read somewhere that Police units had this).

The tabs (dont even know what they are - eeeek) on the shoulder have been removed.

The collar tabs are the double swastika which I have read is that assigned to concentration camps.

The jacket appears the have a liner which has been removed, and I can find no manufacture markings either in the jacket or around the edges.

Given all this - can anyone point me in the right direction as to ascertaining the type of jacket, and possible year of manufacture (could be pissing in the wind but hey).

I will gladly post pics if you ask me what would be points of interest on the jacket if anyone would be interested in providing their thoughts.

Many thanks

Sean
Rikster
Supporter

Post by Rikster »

I think some pics would be a great advantage.
cheers, Rik
Spankeem

Post by Spankeem »

Here is the desciption posted on the sale:

This is a Latvia German ww2 WWII HomeFront used russian uniform or tunic has enlisted waffen collar patches collar tabs and a XX elite member patch on the center left pocket along with a Iron cross 2ed class ribbon.. it has a 1st issue pattern enlisted waffen eagle left center sleve and the Latvia sheild below it.. sheild appears to be a homefront item which was normal for the late war use of this unit. The collar patch was worn between 1944 and 1945 by members of the so called "Auxiliary XX", who were non-XX members conscripted to perform such duties as Concentration Camp service and administrative support.This man must have been a member since he has the ruins on the breast pocket. This was bought in Prague CZ. Republic right after it was opened up to the west. there are no buttons or shoulder broads. But a nice real German ww2 homefront military tunic some small repairs but all period repairs..I have done nothing to this it was a Vet buy..
Rikster
Supporter

Post by Rikster »

From the sound of the description I would leave it alone! It sounds like the normal bullshit story that people in eastern europe give out to sucker people in.
However it is imposiible to say without pics
Cheers, Rik
Rikster
Supporter

Post by Rikster »

I'm guessing its on ebay too!
Cheers, Rik
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Re: Uniform verification

Post by Simon Orchard »

Spankeem wrote:Hi,

I recently purchased what was purported to be a Latvian SS tunic. It has a sleeve eagle and Latvian flag on its left hand arm, although the Latvian badge does not have the country name - although I have read that this is not uncommon.
You bought this without knowing what you were buying or what to look for?

I hope for your sake that you have full return rights and didn't pay too much for it.

:shock:
Spankeem

Post by Spankeem »

Um yes I did.... I know norty. But Im sure we all have made a purchase we all potentially regretted.

I will try to post the pics tonight - silly me I didnt know that this site didnt allow for pics to be uploaded. Alternately if you are interested in helping - or laughing (and I wouldnt blame you) message me your email address and Ill email them to you.

Can anyone suggest some good books for uniforms and cloth badges/insignia of SS for a NOOB like me :)