Private US small arms and side arms...

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

greenhorn
Contributor

Private US small arms and side arms...

Post by greenhorn »

Someone mentioned to me that the Brits "begged" for the above to be donated by private US citizens...

These weapons weren't used or destroyed rather than been returned to their owners?

Can anyone shed light on this?
Banzai!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Greenhorn,

I don't understand the context of your question.

Are you referring to a supposed request from the British in the early years of WWII for American citizens to donate privately owned weapons for Britain's defence?

Or are you referring to the tightening up of Britain's gun laws a few years ago, when tens (hundreds?) of thousands of fire arms were ruled illegal and handed in? These latter were destroyed.

Or are you referring to a third subject?

Cheers,

Sid.
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

No 1 hits the nail on the head.

I am assuming that a request for US citizens to donate (for the duration) small arms. I believe this would have been pre-Pearl Harbour? but post Dunkirk. I think the government would have advertised in the US press.

It seems odd, as you would get a wide array of weapons, requiring disparate ammunition etc.

The last point was made to me forceful, that these arms were destroyed rather than returned.....

This info was passed to me (in a discussion) by an ex 1st Cav chappie, who said he was with the RLI or Selous Scouts afterwards....
Banzai!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Greenhorn,

I understand. Unfortunately I know nothing about this. Sorry.

Cheers,

Sid.
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

Prior to America's entrance into World War II, the National Rifle Association called on its members to donate arms for the defense of Britain. The call was directed at the US WWI veteran who brought home a pistol or Springfield or Enfield rifle.

A small number of arms was collected and sent over. They were never used and were eventually destroyed by the British government.
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

Cheers WT....

I may chase this thread up.
Banzai!