Saving Private Ryan: Waffen-SS Uniform Help

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

MG-Schutze

Saving Private Ryan: Waffen-SS Uniform Help

Post by MG-Schutze »

Hello fellow members, it's my first time posting here, nice to meet you all :D Can you please tell me guys, what is the specs of the uniforms worn by the Waffen-SS soldiers at the last part of the movie ? Like can you please tell me:

1. Which SS branch are they from ?
2. What's the type of uniform they are wearing ? (M38 Oak, etc.)
3. Can you guys please tell me where online I can purchase the whole uniform & trousers set worn by the SS soldiers in SPR ?

Thank you so much for reading ! Looking forward for your reply ! :D
MikeWindheuser
Supporter

Post by MikeWindheuser »

Hi

Sorry I have not seen Saving private Ryan in a long time so I do not know the unit or uniform although I would suggest that, since it is in 1944, the chaps would be wearing a mixture of plane tree and oakleave pattern camo and any tunic from the M1936-M1944. This is a good site for ordering german uniforms: http://www.richardaunderwood.com/ . I hope you find what you are looking for, I want to buy a uniform but since I am only 15 I do not have the money.

Mike.
Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.
Herr Doktor
Contributor

Post by Herr Doktor »

Hello,

Much of the wardrobe uniform items for the movie itself were obtained from At The Front. Their website can be found here:

http://www.atthefront.com/

After SPR was made, At The Front sold off lots of interesting uniform pieces used in the SPR movie, I'm sure they have all been sold by now but identical items can still be had from them.

Another place to check out is SM Wholesale, SS especially for camo items:

http://www.smwholesale.com/

I have not seen SPR for a long time, either. But I remember a divisional insignia being on the tiger tanks in the village, it was either the 12th SS HJ or 1st LSSAH - I don't recall which. But if you watch the movie again and check the divisional insignia that you see against the ones found on this website, that will give your answer about which SS unit it was.

Best,

HD
Jones

Post by Jones »

here is the man from the bunker. (wehrmacht)
http://www.freewebs.com/team-pwnage/ger ... amboat.jpg

and here is the soldier from the house (ss)
http://www.freewebs.com/team-pwnage/ger ... fen-ss.jpg

You should be able to see the difference :wink:
Steppenwolf

Post by Steppenwolf »

I would not trust the uniforms in saving private ryan at all.

For instance, the Americans identify them as 1st SS panzer, thus they'd be with the LAH. Also, they would have to be Liebstandarte as of the two SS units in the area they were the only one with a Spz.Abt- thus the tiger tanks.

However, if one were to analyze the uniforms, one would notice that the tank drivers in particular are wearing Allgermeine (sp?) uniforms, and the smock being used by the majority of the infantrymen were much more prevalent with the 12th SS Hitlerjugend.
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

I thought were were told they were from Das Reich in the movie?
Paul
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

PaulW wrote:I thought were were told they were from Das Reich in the movie?
the book said that they were from Das Reich. But anyway, the book and movie needed way more historic research. :D

helmut
max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl

Post by max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl »

this was the first time a major film production didnt bother with "enemy extras" it got a reenactment group to do it for them. the british second battle group (SBG ) they came and were equiped with uniforms and isignia of "das reich" for the film but usually "Grenadiers of the 1.SS.Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler"
i wont bore you... visit their site!

http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/frameset.htm
***woosh****
"what was that????"
that was your life mate
"do i get another???"
no, thats your lot...
Helmut Von Moltke

max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl wrote:this was the first time a major film production didnt bother with "enemy extras" it got a reenactment group to do it for them. the british second battle group (SBG ) they came and were equiped with uniforms and isignia of "das reich" for the film but usually "Grenadiers of the 1.SS.Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler"
i wont bore you... visit their site!

http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/frameset.htm
oh yea, in the Tiger tank scene in the movie where a SS Panzer commander in black uniform points around and gives commands, he has cuff title. I don't really remember what the cufftitle was.... was it Das Reich? And also I reas somewhere, that Tigers had insignia of 1. SS Panzer Korps, really all messed up. And Das Reich division was not in Normany at the time this fake battle was supposed to take place in, so this movie is really... inaccurate. Just my 2 cents.... :D

helmut
max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl

Post by max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl »

i think if you read the account of the filming from the reenacters they say the same thing... also were very upset about all having to have cropped hair and not a more realistic "period" style cut and being used as a bias political statement rather than historical fact... apparently!
***woosh****
"what was that????"
that was your life mate
"do i get another???"
no, thats your lot...
Helmut Von Moltke

max wiedl 3./SS Pz.Pi.Btl wrote:i think if you read the account of the filming from the reenacters they say the same thing... also were very upset about all having to have cropped hair and not a more realistic "period" style cut and being used as a bias political statement rather than historical fact... apparently!
yea lol, the skinhead haircut thing :oops:

helmut
Langemark

Post by Langemark »

I think the uniforms of the american soldiers are exact, but they dont care much about the detail of the enemy uniforms. There aren't so much people who know details about the german uniforms ... they must just look like germans - greenish color and that charismatic helmet. In "Brothers in Arms" the detail (and authenticy) is a lot better, i think.
Helmut Von Moltke

Langemark wrote:I think the uniforms of the american soldiers are exact, but they dont care much about the detail of the enemy uniforms. There aren't so much people who know details about the german uniforms ... they must just look like germans - greenish color and that charismatic helmet. In "Brothers in Arms" the detail (and authenticy) is a lot better, i think.
is "brothers in arms" a movie or a game? :?
Alteweier

Post by Alteweier »

Its a game about a squad from the 101st airborne.
Tyler
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

After looking at screenshots from Saving Private Ryan, I would agree that they are Das Reich soldiers who have the amazing power to teleport.

Also, I am sure this has been pointed out before, but I noticed something. That Tiger is not a tiger at all! It is a disguised T-34! Look at the bogie wheel configuration!

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.