Czech units

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

TheFerret
Supporter

Czech units

Post by TheFerret »

Were there any Czech units fighting on the German side.

I have heard that the 31st SS Division was designated as the Bohemian-Moravian division, but its membership was primarily Ethnic Germans from Hungary and Serbia.

I tried to find info in Google but drew blanks.
pretorian666

Re: Czech units

Post by pretorian666 »

Hello TheFerret,
Czechs did not fight in German units as treulos. But all citizens living in former Czechoslovkia who declared themselves after German occupation as citicens of Reich (German Empire) including Sudet Germans (Bohmen Germans) they fought in Wehrmacht and only individuals in SS units.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Ferret,

The Protectorate was allowed to keep 12 Czech infantry battalions as its token army, to maintain the facade of legitimacy for German actions. However, they were allowed no artillery of any sort, including mortars. Total establishment strength was about 7,000.

During 1941-43 President Hacha reportedly three times offered a Czech Legion for service on the Eastern Front because he felt this would help establish a distinctive Czech contribution to the Axis and perhaps prevent the country's dissolution by Germany after the war. However, Hitler rejected the idea. (See "Hitler's Table Talk" for mid 1942).

In early 1944 the Germans sent eleven of the twelve Czech battalions to Italy to work as pioneer units because they were increasingly worried about the possibility of a Czech revolt, with disasterous consequences to Czech arms production for the Reich. They dug defence lines, repaired railways and bridges, and guarded various installations behind the lines and were never intended for combat.

However, hundreds of men deserted to the Italian partisans, so in late 1944 all their rifles were taken away by the Germans, leaving them unarmed except for the officers' pistols.

During the winter of 1944-45 hundreds more Czechs escaped to Switzerland, from where many managed to make their way to France and were absorbed into the Czechoslovak Brigade besieging Dunkirk. (When Dunkirk surrendered at the end of the war the Czechoslovaks captured at least one U-boat - possibly the most useless war booty ever for a landlocked country!)

In 1945, along with the the Slovak construction brigade also in Italy, the Czech labour battalions were designated 1st Czechoslovak Division in Italy by the Czechoslovak Government in London, with whom they had opened communications. As a result, when they returned to Czechoslovakia at the end of the war they did so as Allied troops.

The 1st Battalion had remained as the ceremonial guard of President Hacha in Prague. It took part in the uprising against the Germans in May 1945 and so also passed into Allied ranks.

Cheers,

Sid.
TheFerret
Supporter

Post by TheFerret »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Ferret,

The Protectorate was allowed to keep 12 Czech infantry battalions as its token army, to maintain the facade of legitimacy for German actions. However, they were allowed no artillery of any sort, including mortars. Total establishment strength was about 7,000.

During 1941-43 President Hacha reportedly three times offered a Czech Legion for service on the Eastern Front because he felt this would help establish a distinctive Czech contribution to the Axis and perhaps prevent the country's dissolution by Germany after the war. However, Hitler rejected the idea. (See "Hitler's Table Talk" for mid 1942).

In early 1944 the Germans sent eleven of the twelve Czech battalions to Italy to work as pioneer units because they were increasingly worried about the possibility of a Czech revolt, with disasterous consequences to Czech arms production for the Reich. They dug defence lines, repaired railways and bridges, and guarded various installations behind the lines and were never intended for combat.

However, hundreds of men deserted to the Italian partisans, so in late 1944 all their rifles were taken away by the Germans, leaving them unarmed except for the officers' pistols.

During the winter of 1944-45 hundreds more Czechs escaped to Switzerland, from where many managed to make their way to France and were absorbed into the Czechoslovak Brigade besieging Dunkirk. (When Dunkirk surrendered at the end of the war the Czechoslovaks captured at least one U-boat - possibly the most useless war booty ever for a landlocked country!)

In 1945, along with the the Slovak construction brigade also in Italy, the Czech labour battalions were designated 1st Czechoslovak Division in Italy by the Czechoslovak Government in London, with whom they had opened communications. As a result, when they returned to Czechoslovakia at the end of the war they did so as Allied troops.

The 1st Battalion had remained as the ceremonial guard of President Hacha in Prague. It took part in the uprising against the Germans in May 1945 and so also passed into Allied ranks.

Cheers,

Sid.
Thanks

My wife's grandfather did serve in an Czech allied unit though she is unsure where. The story of many of these soldiers is rather sad. After the war the Communists had disgraced the units and sent many vetrans to prison.
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

Were there any Czech units fighting on the German side.
Several weeks ago I was involved in a discussion about Czechs in Wehrmacht on the AxisForum, where I have written a few biths about Czechs in the German Armed Forces in World War 2 and Czech Government Troops in Italy 1944-45. To access the discussion click here:

URL: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 56&start=0
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Ferret and Klemen,

I seem to remember that Czechs and Poles of inconclusive German ethnicity were often sent to the 700-series security divisions. A place to look might therefore be in 708, 704, 713, 707 and 717 Security Divisions, whose home wehrkreise all (I think) expanded to include former Czech territory.

Czechoslovak citizens were certainly amongst the prisoners held by the Yugoslavs after the end of the war, but this probably includes Sudeten Germans.

Some 600,000+ Czechs lived in the territory Germany annexed at Munich. This would give about 100,000 Czech men of military age available within Reich territory.

Cheers,

Sid.
pretorian666

question?

Post by pretorian666 »

Hello Sid,

what were those 700-series security divisions? Where they served?

Thanx.
TheFerret
Supporter

Post by TheFerret »

Glynwed wrote:Hallo....the mens from Sudetenland became the Volksteutsche (owners of Volkliste) and they was normaly absorbed to Wehrmacht. They belongs to borders German Wehrkreis. I know some people, and their great-grandfathers serwed in Wehrmacht units - specific in 73.ID and 5.PzD. Nobody without Volkliste (with Czech nationality) serwed in Wehrmacht or SS units. Some Czechs served as confident for SD, Gestapo or Polizei organizations, but there were prohibited to Czechs to served in German combat units (there were fear abouth making new Czech legions like in WW I). The Protectorate have their own military troops - Vládní vojsko (Goverment Army) equipped with infantry arms, but it served in Protectorate and later (1943/44) it was placed to Italy, where they build fortifications (many of them deserted and take a part in partisans fight). So, there weren´t some specific "Czech" formation inside the Wehrmacht or SS.

Cheers...
Thank you Glynwed.

Thank you too KlemenL
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pretorian,

The 700-series were security divisions formed from low grade manpower in mid 1941.

Those from the four wehrkreise that absorbed parts of the Sudetenland were:

WK/Division/Theatre
IV/704/Yugoslavia
VIII/708/S-W France
XIII/713/Crete
XVII/717/Yugoslavia.

Cheers,

Sid.
Jasan

Czech collaboration

Post by Jasan »

In 1945(don´t know exact date) so called Wenceslaus Kompanie was raised up to fight Red army.Aprox.120 volunteers were gathered and underwent training with small arms(rifels,mg...).It is said they wore standart wehrmacht uniform.This unit did not undergo any frontfights and was destroyed during czech uprising. I will try to find out more information.
Brother of my grandmother served in WH after his father has signed Volksliste.He fought in France,Russia and Italy, where he defected to Tommies.
pretorian666

Post by pretorian666 »

XXXI bis -Volunteer Grenadier Division Böhmen-Mahren
http://www.portal-ns.com/thecensure/waffen.htm

pretorian666

St. Wenceslas company

Post by pretorian666 »

Info from Ausky book's "Volunteers": that in March 1945 was organized first military organization called "Svatovaclvaská rota" (St. Wenceslas company), which gathered about 100 young Czech volunteers, future core for Czech SS unit. Most of them did not got through basic military training (in all probability cos of time).
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Praetorian,

As far as I am aware, the division Bohmen-Mahren was thrown together from German depots in the Protectorate and individual local ethnic Germans, not from ethnic Czechs.

Cheers,

Sid.
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

Don't have anything new to add but I would just like to congratulate Michal on setting up a wonderful website about Czechoslovakian Units in USSR 1942-45. I'm looking forward to new updates. I didn't know that Czech MoD has finally made a website about Czech War Archives (VUA). :wink: How large is in fact the fond about Czechoslovakian units in USSR during WW2? Do they also have any fond about 1st Czechoslovakian Light Division (Gen. Rudolf Viest) during France Campaign 1940?

While we are already speaking about this theatre of operations can anyone of you recommend a good Soviet, Czech, Slovakian or German book about the battles in Eastern Slovakia around the town of Michalovce during January - March 1945?

This thread has always been one of my favourite. :wink:
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
jarek
Supporter

Czech units

Post by jarek »

Böhmen und Mähren was not Division but Kampfgruppe, control link: http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5623

Bestreg.
Jarek
Heilsberg / Ostpreussen