Jacob Ingemar Somberg, freiwillig SS.Div Wiking

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
GoranWC51

Jacob Ingemar Somberg, freiwillig SS.Div Wiking

Post by GoranWC51 »

Need info on this Swede who served with SS Div Wiking or Div Nordland. He fought on Russian front, and in Berlin protecting Der Reichtag.

I am asking on behalf of his widow, a good friend of mine.

Does anyone have more exact info, rank, unit, etc. and pictures, if any.
Thks

Göran Norén, Stockholm Sweden

Bodalsvägen22
18136 Lidingö
+46-8-667 32 81
+46-70-772 18 00
Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson »

Somberg never fought in Berlin, he deserted in 1944 from Estonia to Sweden together with Sven Alm and Marcus Ledin. One suggestion, don't waste your time with this.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Månsson on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

SS-Unterscharführer Ingemar Somberg (aka Johansson) was born 1925 in Kisa. He was very interested in weapons technology and he started as a apprentice in the Skoda-plant in Böhmen (formerly Czechoslovakia) to get an education and to get out of Sweden.

He joined the Waffen-SS 1940 (or was enrolled by his uncle according to himself) and is believed to have been the only Swede to take part in Operation Barbarossa.

He first served in SS Panzer Division Wiking and later in SS Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier Division Nordland.

During the retreat from Estonia Sep 1944 he and his two friends Sven Alm and Markus Ledin was trapped behind enemy lines when their SPW broke down. They managed to repair the vehicle and travelled for three night through enemy territory towards the coast. They reached a the small Estonian fishing village of Noarootsi (near Haapsalu) were they attacked and killed a small unit of soviet soldiers. They and some Estonians travelled to Finland in a fishingboat. They were arrested by Finnish soldiers (Finland was at this point no longer in war with the Soviet Union) but they were released when Alm and Ledin showed their finnish medals from the Russo-Finnish War. The three soldiers now continued their journey home to Sweden.

After the war he worked as a technician.
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
Brian67
Banned

Post by Brian67 »

Ritter wrote:SS-Unterscharführer Ingemar Somberg (aka Johansson) was born 1925 in Kisa. He was very interested in weapons technology and he started as a apprentice in the Skoda-plant in Böhmen (formerly Czechoslovakia) to get an education and to get out of Sweden.

He joined the Waffen-SS 1940 (or was enrolled by his uncle according to himself) and is believed to have been the only Swede to take part in Operation Barbarossa.

He first served in SS Panzer Division Wiking and later in SS Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier Division Nordland.

During the retreat from Estonia Sep 1944 he and his two friends Sven Alm and Markus Ledin was trapped behind enemy lines when their SPW broke down. They managed to repair the vehicle and travelled for three night through enemy territory towards the coast. They reached a the small Estonian fishing village of Noarootsi (near Haapsalu) were they attacked and killed a small unit of soviet soldiers. They and some Estonians travelled to Finland in a fishingboat. They were arrested by Finnish soldiers (Finland was at this point no longer in war with the Soviet Union) but they were released when Alm and Ledin showed their finnish medals from the Russo-Finnish War. The three soldiers now continued their journey home to Sweden.

After the war he worked as a technician.
Thank's. It's an interesting story.
But for me it's a little bit strange. His widow should know about this.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
Marcus Wendel
Supporter

Post by Marcus Wendel »

Ritter,

When copying information, the least you can do is to mention the source, in this case my site.

Thanks.

/Marcus
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Didn't know lexicon-der-wehrmacht had a copyright.

Sorry 'bout that

Regards,

Ritter
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
Marcus Wendel
Supporter

Post by Marcus Wendel »

Ritter wrote:Didn't know lexicon-der-wehrmacht had a copyright.
Sorry 'bout that
You didn't copy it from that site, but rather from http://www.axishistory.com

Still, no hard feelings, I just get tired of seeing material copied from my site without any credit being given.

/Marcus
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Marcus,

I did not mean any harm by it. :(
I indeed copied it from your (great) site axishistory.
Maybe you should consider a copyright or something.

What puzzels me is the rather odd story Goran is telling.
I should think his widow knew how Somberg got of the hook.

Kind regards,

Ritter
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Ritter wrote:Marcus,

I did not mean any harm by it. :(
What do you mean by that? Is it morally less wrong to not give credit for someone's work just because it doesn't say copyright below the text?

Best regards/ Daniel
Marcus Wendel
Supporter

Post by Marcus Wendel »

Ritter wrote:I did not mean any harm by it. :(
Every page on the site has "© Marcus Wendel" on them, that is more than enough, don't you agree?

/Marcus
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

This discussion is leading no where.
I said I did not mean any harm by it and please....don't make more out of this then copying text of the free internet.

But if it pleases you, what i can imagine, I will mention only the link to your site Marcus.
Don't want to get in a "moral" conflict with some people here nor myself....

Regards,

Ritter
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson »

As I said, don't waste your time..............

Martin