SS Totenkopf Ers Batl III - Research on my late father

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf Ers Batl III - Research on my late father

Post by Maurus Klein »

1. In my late father's Soldbuch the hospital doctor used the abreviation "BVZ" or "BVT" when he was released on the 1st July 1942.
What does this abreviation mean?
2 The basic 3 month training in Brunn, what was the programme?
3. How was the Ersatz posted and organized.
4. My father received an award while with Kmfg Baum in June 1942. If this was Otto Baum has he published anything? ( My father was posted to Regiment3 while Otto Baum was in charge of Regiment 1?)
5. How was the Demjansk Shield awarded. Why would my father not have qualified as he seemed to have met the conditions of award?
6 To whom did the Pz Gren u Ersatz Batl3 based in Warsaw in Dec 1943 report to? What were teir functions?
7 Where can I obtain details of the recruitment program of Volksdeutsche in Croatia in 1941? :?:
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Kmfg means Kampfgruppe (Combat group) Baum and it is indeed Otto Baum who commanded it.

The Demjansk shield was a campaign shield give to soldiers who had participated in the battles around Demjansk during the early spring of 1942.

A good start for reading about the 3. SS-Division would be Wie Ein Fels Im Meer (Like A Rock In the Sea) by Karl Ullrich. It's available in both English and German and there's also a seperate photo book with the same name in English/German.

Best regards/ Daniel
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf Erstz Batl III - My late father

Post by Maurus Klein »

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply. If my father served in Regiment 3 would it be possible that he was posted to Regiment 1 that Otto Baum commanded?

I have the book as well as Vopersal, and Syndor.

Did every soldier qualify for the shield and would it have been entered into the Soldbuch?
Best Regards
Maurus
BDietz

Post by BDietz »

typically
BVZ
bevorzugt=favored
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf Ersatz Batl III my late father

Post by Maurus Klein »

B Dietz
Thanks for your help. I presume this means my father was able to return to active duty and take part in operation Citadel?
Best regards
Maurus Klein :D
BDietz

Post by BDietz »

I thought it over some more, and found an actual military acronym for the form in Caps.
Behelfs Verwaltung Zug
Auxiliary Administration Unit
I'd have to see the full entry to help more.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Maurus,

Otto Baum was also a member of the SS-Tot.Inf.Rgt.3. In 1941 when he was transferred to the division he became the commander of III./T.I.R.3 and lead the battalion in Operation Barbarossa and then in the Demjansk pocket. In summer 1942 he was delegated with the temporary leadership of T.I.R.1 and in November 1942 he again became a battalion commander though this time of I./T.I.R.1 - this was the division's SPW battalion he remained in this position till March 1943 when he replaced Simon as Rgt.Kdr. T.I.R.1.

Regarding the Demjansk shield, the requirements were 60 days of actions or an injury (also frostbite) suffered while encircled in the Demjansk pocket in period from 8 February till 21 April 1942.

cheers
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf Ersatz Batl III My late father

Post by Maurus Klein »

Hi B Dietz,
The entries in my father's Soldbuch are entered in the Kriegs lazarett Pages 21, under the heading 'Bemerkung in :D Bezug auf die Entlassung aus dem Lazarett". The letters are capital "B. V. Z." Th "Z" is written as a German 7 with a small loop to the right at the bottom of the "7". The Krankheit was noted as -31- and the Lazarett was the 'SS Korps-Sanitats-Abt 2. SS Lazarett (mot). The other times that he was wounded the entries z. Tr or K.v and z Truppe was used.
I know that Totenkopf fought in the battle of Kursk early July '43 and I am attemting to determine the probality of this return to his regiment3/6 Batl I comp 2 in time for this battle.
Thanks for your help
Maurus Klein :D
Maurus Klein

SS Totekopf My - late Father

Post by Maurus Klein »

Hi Marko,
Thanks for your reply.
My father was awarded the Inf. Sturmabz. Bronze Kpfgr. Baum on the 25 Jun 1942. But his Feldpost Nr and Notes place him in Regt3 Batl I company 2. The first Batl in Regiment3 did not appear to report to Otto Baum, hence my question of the possibility of my father being transfered to Regiment1. Otto Baum was also awarded the same medal but I have no details of the time date or place. My father may have been in the same battles under his command. Hence my enquiry of the possibilty that Otto Baum may have written/published about these battles. I know that Otto Baum wrote to the author Charles Syndor.

My father arrived at the front in Sept 1941 and was flown out wounded in August 1942. He therefore appears to have qualified for the Demjansk shield yet I can find no trace of it.
BDietz

Re: SS Totenkopf Ersatz Batl III My late father

Post by BDietz »

Maurus Klein wrote: The entries in my father's Soldbuch are entered in the Kriegs lazarett Pages 21, under the heading 'Bemerkung in :D Bezug auf die Entlassung aus dem Lazarett". The letters are capital "B. V. Z." Th "Z" is written as a German 7 with a small loop to the right at the bottom of the "7".
Go with my second response.
The Krankheit was noted as -31
This means a plain injury 31a would be bullet 31b grenade

I know that Totenkopf fought in the battle of Kursk early July '43 and I am attemting to determine the probality of this return to his regiment3/6 Batl I comp 2 in time for this battle.
What are the entries for page 4 unit assignments?
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Ahha, well Baum did command various KGs in the Demjansk pocket so it really wouldn't have been that surprising if your grandfather somehow came under his command.

P.S. There is another book on the Demjansk pocket by Vopersal, don't remember the title, but maybe it would help you to find out more details regarding your grandfather. Maybe you could also ask a forum member (Brian67) who also had a relative in the Totekopf for additional info.

cheers
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf My late Father

Post by Maurus Klein »

B Dietz,
Thanks for your reply.
Page 4 Section C "Feldtruppenteil"
a. SS T J R.3. Kompanie 2 Nr der Kriegsstammrolle 369
b. SS T Pz Gren. Rgt. "Theodor Eicke" Kompanie 2
c. Waffen SS Geb. Div. SS Handjar Rgt St Kp Nr Kriegsstammrolle 101/a

What source did you please use to determine the meaning of BVZ ? :D
Maurus Klein

SS Totenkopf My late father

Post by Maurus Klein »

Marko,
I have the Vopersal books IIb and IIIa " Soldaten Kampfer Kameraden"

How do I contact Brian 67? :D
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I have the Vopersal books IIb and IIIa " Soldaten Kampfer Kameraden"

Yes and both are great books, but unfortunately not as detailed as the info you're looking for :( , so maybe this Demjansk book has more info on Baum and his KGs - otherwise, no Baum never wrote any books.

as for Brian try :D :
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/profile. ... ile&u=2698
BDietz

Re: SS Totenkopf My late Father

Post by BDietz »

Maurus Klein wrote:B Dietz,
Thanks for your reply.
What source did you please use to determine the meaning of BVZ ? :D
http://www.ostbataillon.fromru.com/ek-b.htm

Was this the last entry? or is there another?

My interpretation (based on the info) would be he went to the BVZ after release for some interim time to recouperate. I have no idea when he was sent back to the main unit.
What was the entrance and release date? into the Lazarett?

The injuries were received in battle from enemy action as it is a 3X
Typically you will see an entry in the column in question stating "verlegt" transfered or the name of the next Lazarett, or weiter Laz. Behandlung (further Field Hospital treatment).
Unfortunately SB's are not always as complete as people imagine