Are you stereotyped?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Paulus

Are you stereotyped?

Post by Paulus »

Hello

I just wanted to know, is there anyone else out there who is stereotyped as a "Nazi" because they have an interest in the Wehrmacht. Granted, it may be a taboo subject around some people, but even after I explain how they are diffrent from th SS, ignorance persists. :x I have no anti-semetic views at all, and still dubbed a Nazi for my interests. So is that just me or is the same for you? :?:
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Hi Paulus,

I do totally know what you mean *sigh*. I´ve been totally interested in the subject since I was something like 6 years old and everyone doomed me a Nazi - though I ain´t one... :(
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I seem to recall hearing something like that once or twice!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Paulus,

You are not responsible for the ignorance of others.

And, no, nobody has yet suggested I am a Nazi-sympathiser.

Cheers,

Sid.
Peter H.

Self-censoring

Post by Peter H. »

I find myself automatically self-censoring whenever the topic of the Wehrmacht comes up. I don't generally raise the topic unless I'm absolutely sure of how the person I'm talking to will react. Even then I cut remarks short.

That's why it's good to have this and other sites where one can speak freely without fear of censure.
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

An old problem, and one I've encountered in a related form in another hobby: medieval reenactment. I've got the question "don't you ever think you really are a medieval knight, and get stuck in the role, confusing the past and the present?" To some people (who must be a pretty unimaginative bunch), a marked interest in something is automatically proof that the person in question will sooner or later become so absorbed by his/her interest, that he/she will lose his/her grip on reality. So, if your interest lies in German forces during WW2, that must make you a Nazi, right? Yeah, right... sheesh... :x
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

I'm not alone! There are more people out there who are stereotyped and even more people to stereotype them. I noticed some of you guys live in Germany. Just out of curiosity, is it frowned upon to have such interests or is it ok as it is your countrys history :?: I imagine there should be nothing wrong with it, but we don't live in a perfect world so you always get someone acusing you of being a Nazi. I'm from Ireland, so people usually jump to the wrong conclusion when they realise I have such interests. :( :x
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Hi Paulus!

Wow, it´s big time here in Germany if you´re interested in anything concerning WW2 - execept if you´re trying to find out just how bad and guilty and evil those damn Germans in the 1930´s and 40´s were....*sigh*
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Hi Gebirgsjaeger

I had the wrong impression about Germany completely! From what people who had been there were telling me anything to do with WW2 was buried away completely. Then again, these were the same people who can't seem to separate the whole war aspect from the holocaust :x.
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

well, i've never been called a nazi. maybe im just good in figuring out to whom i can talk about the subject and to whom not. i'm pretty sure if some people would take a look at my room, they'd think im a nazi, because i've lots of luftwaffe stuff and even some german plastic soldiers and tank models around here. another factor im not accused of being a nazi might be my "left winged look", and because there are more people who know i listen to punkrock, than people who know im interested in ww2 and the wehrmacht.
but most likely its not you, but the other people that are the reason, that you are called "nazi".
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

I have had some people call me a Nazi, but I think they meant it jokingly.
Banned

Post by 1871 »

I would doubt anyone on this particular thread could remotely be regarded as pro-German Army - never mind 'Nazi'.

Beppo Schmidt wrote:I have had some people call me a Nazi, but I think they meant it jokingly.
Interesting, and somewhat inverted, since you have used that epithet as a term of abuse towards others.

The search for truth is of more importance than childish indulgence and ignorance.

Ask English authors that live off German history and Adolf Hitler, and spend a great deal of time in their libraries; thinking mostly of their dinner party conversations and what not.

Are they considered English 'Nazis' or merely 'professional' writers indulging in 'work or fantasy'? They collect a great deal of financial reward at others expense. And they do not question the prevailing view. They simply repeat it. Mutton dressed up as lamb.

Quite laughable in fact. And it means little.

Regards

-
Banned

Post by 1871 »

sid guttridge wrote:
You are not responsible for the ignorance of others.

Sid.
A statement you should consider very carefully.

Regards

-
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Any English authors out there?

1871 seems to have found a stereotype for you to conform to.

Cheers,

Sid.
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

1871 wrote:I would doubt anyone on this particular thread could remotely be regarded as pro-German Army - never mind 'Nazi'.
Depends on what you mean with "pro". It is quite obvious that the people frequenting this forum are interested in the German army, but few are Nazis. To be bunched together with neo-Nazi war glorifiers is therefore something less desirable - it's the Nazi involvement in the WW2 hobby that puts it in a bad light.