cutting down trees

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

cutting down trees

Post by Sebastian Pye »

To me it seems that the most effective method against partisans must have been to cut or burn down trees so they couldnt hide. Especially near camps, guardhouses, railroads, bridges etc. Did the germans think of that?
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Cutting down trees as I recall was a tax resistance policy used by Jews and Arabs in the Holy Land against the Ottoman Empire which taxed based upon the number of olive trees. No wonder the place looks
like a desert - I live on two acres of woods but were I taxed accordingly I'd chop down every darned one! :D

As to partisans - look at geographical maps and it becomes apparent that chopping down enough trees would take more than the German war effort had to give.

cheers
Reb
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

And please keep in mind that not even the American efforts in Vietnam with their different defoliant (?) agents were successful.
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Reb,

what did you do in Rhodesia? Did you chop down trees (if there were any) and forrests to protect yourself from surprise attacks?

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Fixed positions weren't in my play book - the few times I encountered them others had constructed them. But the firebases and little forts that I did see naturally had fields of fire cleared.

In Rhodesia the bush was not typically all that dense, small AFrican type foliage rather than big American or European forests. Good enough to creep around in though.

cheers
Reb
Locke
Supporter

Post by Locke »

Nibelung, do you remember a photograph in our history schoolbook for 8th class - I remember there was a photo, taken in Dolenjska: a road and trees which were cut on both sides - and the caption said this was a method which Italians used against partisans. But I reckon this hasn't been used on a large scale. I'll try to find the photo somewhere.
Tod sekla bridka bodo jekla in ti mi bos krvava tekla,
kri nasa te pojila bo, sovrazna te kalila bo!
Simon Gregorcic: Soci
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

I remember that photo very well since I watched the phostos all year round, because I didn't even bother to listen to the teacher, since all she said were bollo*ks :D

I agree, that that kind of measures were not used much in Slovenia...

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
Locke
Supporter

Post by Locke »

Nibelung wrote:I remember that photo very well since I watched the phostos all year round, because I didn't even bother to listen to the teacher, since all she said were bollo*ks :D

I agree, that that kind of measures were not used much in Slovenia...

best,
Nibelung
Hehehe..then we were doing the same things during classes. You had Mrs Guzelj?

Regards,
Polona
Tod sekla bridka bodo jekla in ti mi bos krvava tekla,
kri nasa te pojila bo, sovrazna te kalila bo!
Simon Gregorcic: Soci
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

I don't remember her name anymore...she was small and had a voice like a 100 year old radio. I think you know who i'm talking about :wink:
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

That might have had something to do with cordoroying the roads (sp?).
You cut down trees - put the wood on the road to spare your vehicles the mud and get a field of fire thrown in as a bonus.

Been used since Roman times at least.

cheers
Reb
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

http://www.feldgrau.com/reararea.html
To increase the safety of German rail lines, German construction requirements stated that in forested/wooded areas, a clear swatch of land of at least 300 yards in width was to be cut on both sides of the rail line. This was to help ensure that partisans could not sneak up on a train undetected
That 300m being small arms effective range. Not really possible off main routes of course. I remember reading the US did the same on the MSRs in vietnam in order to make fields of fire for units protecting convoys.

An interesting thing spotted repeatedly while trawling the net : those old german anti-partisan experiences (specifically that postwar historical DA PAM) are being dusted off in relation to current Iraq.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

An interesting thing spotted repeatedly while trawling the net : those old german anti-partisan experiences (specifically that postwar historical DA PAM) are being dusted off in relation to current Iraq.
Isn't that a surprise... :? Seem's everything usefull comes from Wehrmacht's experience.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

They did the same thing in VN - the US military paid a lot of attention to Whermact experience in Russia. Plus everyone was reading Street Without Joy (Bernard Fall - re Indochinese War and excellent) but the key was they just didn't pay it any mind! The tactical guys were hip but the big shots were lame - to put it in the vernacular. 8)

I remember as a kid watching a TV show they used to have about the army which showed French troops (whom I now know to be German Legionaires) teaching US troops have to have close combat against Russian tanks. The show was called The Big Picture and I never missed it!

cheers
Reb
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

I remember as a kid watching a TV show they used to have about the army which showed French troops (whom I now know to be German Legionaires) teaching US troops have to have close combat against Russian tanks. The show was called The Big Picture and I never missed it!
When did they show this show? :D 19?? 60's? I would be great to get a hold of them...which tanks were they destroying?

best,
Nibelung
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Well - I must admit it was the late fifties early sixties.

There were some other cool things as well - The Grey Ghost about Confederate raider John S Mosby and Mckenzie's Raiders about Ranald Mckenzie who took his cavalry over the Mexican border chasing injuns.

My favorite all time show was alcoa presents - they did one called "The Glorius Fourth" about the 4th Virginia (Stonewall Brigade) and another about the Crater at Petersburg with Richard Boone. Oh well - they're doing some good stuff now too - ever see Gods and Generals?

Reb