Pointe Du Hoc Battery

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

JeffF,
Supporter

Pointe Du Hoc Battery

Post by JeffF, »

Accounts about the actual artillery of this position are conflicting. Some say the guns were never mounted others say they were removed due to Allied bombing and were later destroyed by a Ranger patrol.

What number and size/caliber of artillery was intended to be here? Were the guns destroyed by a Ranger patrol in a wooded area nearby actually from the Pointe du Hoc position? What number pf guns and caliber were those destroyed by the Ranger patrol?

What size/type artillery did Allied INTEL report as being there?

thanks,
Jeff
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

I think the guns were of 150mm cailber and there were six guns in the battery. They were moved a little over a mile behind the beach in a orchard. Intel reported they were 155mm but I dont think the Germans had a 155mm gun.
cheers
Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

In 1942, there were 6 former french guns of 155mm ( 155 GPF) designed by the germans as 15.5cm K418 (f). The guns were in holes ( sorry I can't find the english word for "encuvellement" but look at the picture below).
At the beginnig of 1944, the germans started the constructions of bunkers to shelter the guns. But during a bombing, the 15th april 1944, one gun was destroyed. At this time, all the guns were still in their "holes". By safety reasons, the germans removed the last five guns several hundred meters away. The 6th june 1944, the guns still waited their bunkers.
hope it can help.

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

Thanks for the correction Dackel.
cheers
Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Dackel Staffel wrote:The guns were in holes ( sorry I can't find the english word for "encuvellement" but look at the picture below).
Hi Dackel!

I think you could just say "gun emplacements"...that fits fairly well.

Doc
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

101stDoc wrote:
Dackel Staffel wrote:The guns were in holes ( sorry I can't find the english word for "encuvellement" but look at the picture below).
Hi Dackel!

I think you could just say "gun emplacements"...that fits fairly well.

Doc
IIRC encuvellement simply implies a "protected" mount. Technically they were field carriages mounted "en barbette" (also a traditional artillery term borrowed from the French). That is, they were a standard field artillery piece mounted in a permanent open emplacement with 360 degree traverse capability. But the French is much more elegant. :D

Thanks Dackel.
JeffF,
Supporter

Guns later destroyed

Post by JeffF, »

Dackel,

From you r post I surmise that the guns that were destroyed by the Ranger patrol WERE the guns withdrawn from Pointe du Hoc, is that right?

Jeff
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Jeff,

I don't know the fate of the guns after the 6th june 1944 but I think you are right. Surely destroyed by the rangers.
For the others, thanks to all. I speak english like the Merovingian in Matrix :wink:

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket