"The Third Reich in Colour" Documentary

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Matt L
Contributor

"The Third Reich in Colour" Documentary

Post by Matt L »

Being nearly the 60th anniversary of Operation Overlord, there are a lot of WWII documentaries and movies on TV, one of which is the rather interesting "Third Reich in Color". The original pre-and wartime color films are quite impressive. Unfortunately, as usual, the narration writing is typically subjective and silly. One would hope, although somewhat in vain, that documentary film makers given such impressive material would try to leave the usual 60-year-old propaganda and 'bad old Nazis' commentary and simply describe the scenes. What's worse is that at least two mistakes in part one (1937-1940) make it rather difficult to trust that what they describe is actually what is being shown.

The first mistake is a piece of film showing Heer officers in a riding display and, presumably, competition. The narrative describes this as such but places it in the spring of 1939, and yet at least two of the officers shown wear the EK2 ribbon through the second buttonhole of their tunics. To my knowledge, no one was awarded the EK2 until 1.9.1939 :? . Second was a supposed training flight by JG54 (Grünherz) in preparation for Unternehmen Gelb. Indeed the Bf109s shown were from JG54, but they were Bf109Fs- not fielded until the end of 1940. What's worse, the film very specifically shows one of the 109s tail with 7 vicotory bars!

Doesn't really inspire much confidence, does it?
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate- "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily'' William of Ockham
Rev. Mike

Post by Rev. Mike »

I noticed several errors myself and also have to say that the narration was not too good. However, just having the original color films available makes it worthwhile.
Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
Peter H.

Mike, you're right

Post by Peter H. »

Yes, Mike, just making those colour films available is a great benefit. But the narration was disappointing. I certainly haven't got Matt's eye for detail, but the documentary struck me as superficial and predictable. I didn't come away with any new insights, and no phrases from the narration have stayed in my mind.

Moreover, the film clips were frustratingly short: a few seconds of this, a few seconds of that. It left you wanting more. And the way the clips were strung together was bizarre. There didn't seem to be any natural flow or lead-in from one scene to the next.

All in all, a disappointment. I'd love to see the whole version of each of those clips. And seeing the images in colour made the whole period seem much more recent.