German Cavalry group anti-partisan campaign Feb-Sept 1941

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

onaway

German Cavalry group anti-partisan campaign Feb-Sept 1941

Post by onaway »

I am in contact with a German vet of the Cavalry of WWII. He says he was involved in the anti-partisan fighting. He claims he cannot remember the unit he was attached to. He has given me a day by day account of the location he was in for Feb 21 1941-Spet 30 1941 and a map. It is parts of Poland and Russia as far as I can tell.

He starts in Siedlce-Warschau-neustettin area, July 7 in Gabachiele-Taujenai-Yasparosczki etc.; Aug 24 Ssoloqjewa, shislinia, Ssnesha, etc; and Sept 30 in Kirilowa, Daschtschari, Alechnowa as an example. I wonder if many of the place names are different now, cannot really find a map that shows all places. It appears to be NE Germany Poland, Latvia-Lithuania etc. Does it go into Russia, I dont know.

I can supply all names and dates if there is any way to trace the unit he was in via OOB books or whatever. It will take some time however so I will await advice before I sit down to type it all in. I can also faxt the list to someone.

He definately is German and I have photos of him in uniform. He was wounded, I have his badge. I cannot explain why he does not know the unit he was in, perhaps he just doesnt want to remember any more.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Should I post my request on another forum??

THANKS!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I'll check my references re: cavalry units and see if I can come up with anything in that area for you!
C.G.
Supporter

Post by C.G. »

Could it have been the SS-Kavallerie-Brigade (2 Rgts) under Fegelein, which made a large antipartisan sweep in the Pripjet Marshes of Bielorussia in august 1941 with thousands of killed civilians, mostly of them jews?
C.G.
MAXIS
Supporter

Post by MAXIS »

I confirm C.G.

Late 1940 Fegelein's unit was organized as follows (*)

FIRST-HALF REGIMENT, located in Warsaw
- I Abteilung in Warsaw
1 sqd in Warsaw
2 sqd in Garwolin
3 sqd in Warsaw
4 sqd in Jablon
5 sqd in Lapiguz
- II Abteilung in Warsaw
6 sqd in Warsaw
7 sqd in Krakau
8 sqd in Warsaw
9 sqd in warsaw

SECOND-HALF REGIMENT, located in Lublin
- III Abteilung, in Krakau
1 sqd in Krakau
2 sqd in Kielce
3 sqd in tarnow
4 sqd in Chelm
5 sqd in Zamosc
- IV abteilung, in Lublin
6 sqd in Lublin
7 sqd in Lublin
8 sqd in Lublin
9 sqd in Lublin

Till to 6/41 squadrons remained in Poland; on March 41 the Halb-Regimenter were re-organized into SS-Kavallerie-Regimenter 1 e 2
On 7/41 they were sent to Russia under Kommandostab "Reichsfuhrer-SS" Heeregruppe Mitte. On Agust two regiments formed SS-Kavallerie-Brigade.
On late August they were used on Pripjat-masches agains partisans, then, brigade was sent to front area, near Rshev: around Rshew there're town & cities with those names: Sswekino, Ssolomino, Sschka and more, very similar to those quoted by Onaway

I'll appreciate complete list of names and dates and a copy of picture to compare the uniform.
If You wont you can mail me at [email protected].

Best - Max
(quoted fm the book "Riding East", by Mark Yerger/Schiffer Military History
Hope this will be useful.
onaway

partisan unit clarification

Post by onaway »

As best I can tell from his photo he was in the Army. I will have to borrow another photo from him to confirm.

Were army units attached to SS operations?

Thanks for the interesting reply.