Jokes

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Gentlemen, I just spent way too much time deleting posts that did not belong on this thread.

First of all, in a joke thread, someone is going to poke fun at someone, somewhere along the line. Most jokes revolve around someone's misfortune, be it real or fictional. Usually, then are not meant to be offensive, but offense can be taken. If something is offensive to you, notify a MODERATOR.

When addressing another forum member, derogatory names are not acceptable. We all have 'screen names,' and many of us use our real names. While I will sometimes accept being called "Yank" by some people, I can see where "Frenchie" might have been offensive, especially when Daniel's name was right there.

And, finally, I'm getting tired of reminding people that unless you are a MODERATOR, it is not your place to act like one. If you see something that requires a MODERATOR's attention, notify one of us. There is no place for vigilantism here, so knock it off!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi Tom,
Tom wrote:I can see where "Frenchie" might have been offensive, especially when Daniel's name was right there
Many thanks but don't worry, I have a thick skin.
By the way, considering my latest joke above about the Phalange, may I conclude that I have the privilege to be the sole one here authorized to post jokes about the Frenchies? :D
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

Semper Fi!!!!!
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

From my school textbook on NS Germany:
It is in early 1933. One stormtrooper whispers to another, 'Have you heard the latest? The Reichstag is aflame!' The other stormtrooper hisses, 'Shhh! Not before tomorrow!'
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

osama's new plan

one of my favorite videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpLc93oed_k
Semper Fi!!!!!
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

And I thought, this thread is about "jokes" conc. to the Third Reich...

:roll:

Michael
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Not necessarily, Michael. Jokes about the DR might be more appropriate, but I know I'll personally take humor wherever I can find it!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Tom, most of these "jokes" are in german language, there were thousands of them before 1945.

The majority of these "jokes" are hard to translate to english language, like the one about Ernst Roehm/1934
(The contemporary "humor" of that time is hard to catch for non german reading/speaking users here at Feldgrau...)

Not only a handful of germans went into the KLs, for telling these "jokes" undercover, some even were executed for such humor before 1945, and hundreds punished, mistreated, tortured, Werner Finck for example.

"Der Führer ist ein armes Schwein, denn er hat keinen Führerschein!"

Regards

Michael

P.S. What I heard today in a TV discussion, three things are impossible; a cookbook from Denmark, a love-story from Russia, and a joke from Germany! :wink:
Last edited by Nordwest on Thu May 18, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Nordwest wrote:Tom, most of these "jokes" are in german language, there were thousands of them before 1945.

The majority of these "jokes" are hard to translate to english language, like the one about Ernst Roehm/1934

Not only a handful of germans went into the KLs, for telling these "jokes" undercover, some even were executed for such humor before 1945, and hundreds punished, mistreated, tortured, Werner Finck for example.

"Der Führer ist ein armes Schwein, denn er hat keinen Führerschein!"

Regards

Michael

P.S. What I heard today in a TV discussion, three things are impossible; a cookbook from Denmark, a love-story from Russia, and a joke from Germany! :wink:
Michael, what you wrote about the difficulties of translating those jokes into English without losing the humor is probably true. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for the Germans to educate the other European, and especially American members here.

Perhaps you could translate some of the jokes as best you can, and explain the humor? We've all heard stories (mostly apocryphal, I'm afraid) of people going to the KL for telling jokes about der Führer. Maybe now we could understand some of the jokes.

Of course, I understood fully the SA one above! :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

(mostly apocryphal, I'm afraid)
Tom, you are not serious with this sentence, are you really?

You know, what happened to innocent people, like gays, lesbians, roma/sinti, so called "asoziale", and other victims of that time, dont you?

Not to mention the jews either...

Authors, painters, musicians, poets, scientists, cabaret artists, they all were executed, no, not "executed", they were brutish murdered, totgeschlagen, aufgehängt, erwürgt, verhungert, whatever one human being can never imagine.

"Humor" was killed before 1945, without any grace at all.

If you need sources, Tom, let me know,please...

Michael
Last edited by Nordwest on Thu May 18, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Carl von Ossietzky: http://www.dhm.de/lemo/html/biografien/ ... index.html

Our university: http://www.uni-oldenburg.de/

And we are proud about the name Carl von Ossietzky Universität

I am a free thinking mind, neither right or left, but I know, what is important, and what is more important to remember...

Michael
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Nordwest wrote:
(mostly apocryphal, I'm afraid)
Tom, you are not serious with this sentence, are you really?
I was serious, but you may have missed my intent. I've heard of it happening, but the references have always been rather general, "gays, lesbians, roma/sinti," etc. I know that it happened, but it's always been very general. No offense or slight was intended, I assure you.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Landser
Contributor

Post by Landser »

Nordwest wrote:
Now you are giving us another fairy tale story about Werner Finck.
He had problems with the authorities in 34 and spent a couple of weeks in Endlager Esterwegen.Then he was banned for one year which was lifted after he was aquitted. He joined the Wehrmacht in the war and spent most of it as an troops entertainer (Truppenbetreuung) with the force.
That's what he gave in an interview with German TV in the sixties.He never mentioned about being tortured or beaten.
Here is a P/C correct write up in english about him:

Portrait of the actor Werner Finck by Thomas Staedeli

http://www.cyranos.ch/smfinc-e.htm

BTW I faintly remember him being on radio during the war years in caberet sketches.
War does not determine who is right,war determens who is left.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

please, this is going off topic.... but were these jokes tolerated, etc in the Wehrmacht, and if not, was the maximum punishment a punishment battalion?
Landser
Contributor

Post by Landser »

Helmut:

In general YES,as long you did not use them to agitate and undermine the regimes agenda.
The most populars were the ones about the "Dicke",but mostly good natured ones. Churchill and Roosevelt jokes were going just as strong.

It was no different as of today the"Tuennes und Scheel' or "Antek und Frantek" and "Graf Bobby" jokes had its share.Usually the politicly colored jokes came from the Frontsoldiers and spread when they came home for visits.
War does not determine who is right,war determens who is left.