THE EASTERN-PRUSSIAN OPERATION, 1945

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Oleg; Point well made, and taken. However -
As counter example you might recall German figure for the number of POW captured at Kiev in 1941 – it handsomely surpassed the number of personal that SWF had at the pick of its power
Here Krivosheev is not on solid ground. The figure he provides for the Kiev operation is just the forces present at the beginning of the operation, in mid-July. For example, the strength of 21st Army is not inlcuded in the strength figure. Thus, there is nothing particularly impossible in the notion that the POW count may have exceeded the strength figure he provides. Indeed, he himself quotes several operations where total losses exceed the strength figure given. It is of course also a possibility that the German POW figures are wrong, or that they reflect a wider inclusiveness than the Soviet MIA figures.

IgorN:
"Medical Services: The Soviets applied to shattered human beings the same basic principle which they applied to broken vehicles, that is, they gave their first priority to the units which could be put together with little delay and returned to the front line. In the case of the solders the category of such 'lightly wounded' covered about 40 per cent of all casualties. Medium cases made up 37 per cent, and the severely wounded about 23 per cent. Army by army, the casualties in the tank formations did not differ greatly from one campaign to another:
Undoubtedly. But Krivosheev's casualty figures explicitly include only soldiers evacuated to military hospitals (as opposed to units' medical services), and these, as far as combat injuries are concerned, spent an average of 76 days in hospital before returning to duty. Lightly wounded cases who were not evacuated, whether they were sick or combat wounded, simply are not included in the casualty figures. They were treated with local means, returned to their units and in the mean time were carried on strength. Both armies employed the criterion of evacuation for inclusion in casualty figures.
"... On 11 November 1944 STAVKA put all the facilities for mechanical repair under unified command, a measure which increased their productivity by 50 per cent. A significant role was played by the recovery tractors and workshops of the damaged vehicle assembly points(SPAMS), which attended to running repairs. The more difficult cases were left for repair at the army, corps or Front level. The results were quite remarkable. In the first six days of the Vistula-Order Operation, The Eight Guards Army had a total of 159 tanks and assault guns disabled, but only 71 of them permanently inoperable. In January 1945 as a whole the 1-st Belorussian Front carried out 3,786 successful repairs of tanks and assault guns, and the 1st Ukrainian Front 4,267. This means that many of the vehicles were patched up more than once..."
Yes of course, but again, lightly damaged vehicles that were repaired with local means do not turn up in the statistics as losses. Both sides carried out such repairs, and for both sides the number of vehicles thus repaired were much higher than the loss figures. As far as I understand, Soviet loss figures reflect vehicles written off or suffficiently heavily damaged to require long term repair. The German figures generally reflect just written off vehicles which introduces a certain problem of comparability in the figures, though evidently the number of tanks evacuated and repaired outside the operational zone was pretty limited. Just have a look at Table 95 in Krivosheev and see how losses, deliveries and total stock interact on a year-to-year basis, and you will get the picture.

cheers
oleg
Enthusiast

Post by oleg »

Here Krivosheev is not on solid ground. The figure he provides for the Kiev operation is just the forces present at the beginning of the operation, in mid-July. For example, the strength of 21st Army is not inlcuded in the strength figure. Thus, there is nothing particularly impossible in the notion that the POW count may have exceeded the strength figure he provides. Indeed, he himself quotes several operations where total losses exceed the strength figure given. It is of course also a possibility that the German POW figures are wrong, or that they reflect a wider inclusiveness than the Soviet MIA figures.
True Qvist. But the number he uses for ICs is 616304 –this one of course includes significant number of dead. On the other hand according to the Soviet documents roughly 150000 made it out of encirclement eventually –even though it took for some of them months to get to their liens (which begs the question if Krivosheev actually subtracted these from his figures) . So 600000 figure is sill very problematic to achieve.
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Typical Krivosheev, eh? Eerything's nice and tidy until you start pondering what the figures really include. :)

Bu in this case, I do not think he can have included soldiers who escaped in the losses – otherwise it becomes difficult to see how he could have arrived at a figure that is lower than the strength at the start of the operation. Also, it is important to bear in mind that he has a very long definition of the battle, so long that it includes well above a month of heavy fighting before the encirclement battle as such started. Here’s another poser – he adds a large number of estimated casualties in 1941 to compensate for absent or inadequate reporting – but does he do so for each individual operation, or just for the total figures?

The problem of course is that this ultimately depends on the number of soldiers who were present in these formations in the period in question, which he does not tell us. And on top of that, in view of what he himself writes concerning the basic insecurity of all reporting during this period, the margin of error for any figure given must be considered as large.

cheers
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

True Qvist. But the number he uses for ICs is 616304 –this one of course includes significant number of dead. On the other hand according to the Soviet documents roughly 150000 made it out of encirclement eventually –even though it took for some of them months to get to their liens (which begs the question if Krivosheev actually subtracted these from his figures) . So 600000 figure is sill very problematic to achieve.
Many of these soldiers who later escaped were most probably included in the German PoW count. It was an often mentioned problem that many Soviet prisoners escaped from captivity as guarding services were wholly insufficient in strength, something which triggered also the mass shootings of prisoners and so on.

Just a sidenote:
The German figures generally reflect just written off vehicles which introduces a certain problem of comparability in the figures, though evidently the number of tanks evacuated and repaired outside the operational zone was pretty limited.
In some cases write-off numbers include light tanks that were reworked (normally to Marders), though certainly not during the period in question.
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Hi Michate
Many of these soldiers who later escaped were most probably included in the German PoW count. It was an often mentioned problem that many Soviet prisoners escaped from captivity as guarding services were wholly insufficient in strength, something which triggered also the mass shootings of prisoners and so on.
I didn't consider that, but was assuming that Oleg was referring to troops who broke out of the encirclement without being first captured. This adds an additional twist to the issue of course.
In some cases write-off numbers include light tanks that were reworked (normally to Marders), though certainly not during the period in question.
Didnt know that - very interesting.

cheers
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Qvist wrote: Here Krivosheev is not on solid ground...IgorN: Undoubtedly. But Krivosheev's casualty figures explicitly include only soldiers evacuated to military hospitals (as opposed to units' medical services), and these, as far as combat injuries are concerned, spent an average of 76 days in hospital before returning to duty. Lightly wounded cases who were not evacuated, whether they were sick or combat wounded, simply are not included in the casualty figures. They were treated with local means, returned to their units and in the mean time were carried on strength. Both armies employed the criterion of evacuation for inclusion in casualty figures. cheers
Qvist, don't smoke again. Have you read any other book except Krivosheev, whom you quote selectively as convenient to you? If his confusing figures support your theories then Krivosheev is a good source of information if his figures are not in line with your theories than "this is typical Krivosheev"...

Question: I would like to see where and how Krivosheev arrived to the figure that "as far as combat injuries are concerned, spent an average of 76 days in hospital before returning to duty". Where are these myphical archival documents and hospital records. Present me at least one archival document confirming this bullshit.

Question: I would like to see documentary proof with the reference to archives that "lightly wounded" who according to Duffy represented over 40% of all wounded were not included in Krivosheev statistics.

When you say that Krivosheev is qualified source only for Soviet losses and not qualified sources for the Nazi Germany losses and losses of German allied sources I have a question.

What about Soviet archival documents concerning German, Hungarian, Romanian, Italian etc. POW in Soviet captivity and their distribution in different camps in 1943-1953? Is Krivosheev is a trusted source about number of German, Austrian and other POW in Soviet captivity? Why one should believe Krivosheev only in part of Soviet losses with references to Russian sources but not to believe to figures about German POW and death figures in Soviet captivity from the same sources?

Question: What about archival documents about German casualties which are not reflected in Krivosheev statistics like, for example, over 600,000 of the defeated Grouping of Nazi General Schoerner in Checkoslovakia?
Qvist wrote: Yes of course, but again, lightly damaged vehicles that were repaired with local means do not turn up in the statistics as losses. As far as I understand, Soviet loss figures reflect vehicles written off or suffficiently heavily damaged to require long term repair.
Don't smoke and confuse other Feldgrau visitors with your sick theories.

Question: Show to me with the references to the archival sources that Soviet loss figures reflect only written off or "sufficiently" heavily damaged vehicles. And by the way what do you mean by "sufficiently" heavily damaged vehicles?

Prove to me that none of the vehicles shown in Krivosheev book as "lost" were not returned to service. I refer you to the excellent Duffy's book in this regard.

I congratulate all Feldgrau visitors on the Day of the Soviet/Russian Army which is celebrated in Russia today!

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

I see absolutely no reason to waste time responding to this drivel, especially as I should think this is perfectly clear to everyone apart from you. Now, I could sit down and patiently write out the average time spent in hospital according to the different categories of injury or illness, and what commentary Kriovesheev provides for this table. I could go in detail into his figures for wounded and how these match the records of military hospitals, comparing it with similar practices in the German reporting system and what is known about the difference between recorded casualties and locally treated minor injuries. I could sit down and write out the yearly figures for stocks, losses and deliveries of tanks, carefully explaining such things as how stocks would not equal deliveries minus losses if losses included lightly damaged vehicles that were returned to service within a short time and deliveries didn't, and how the delivery figures are just slightly higher than the annual production figures, indicating that only a very limited number of deliveries consisted of repaired tanks, which would not be the case if deliveries included vehicles that were lightly damaged and then repaired. I could echo what Michate already has pointed out, namely that the repairs figures you yourself quoted are much higher than the loss figures for the same period, consequently it seems a trifle difficult to see how these repaired machines can have been included in those loss figures. I could quote to you figures for German tanks repaired with local means, and the relation of these to the number of tanks repaired back in Germany and the German tank losses. I could explain to you the difference between a good source and a source that is beyond any reproach, and I could try to get you to fathom the concept of an intelligently critical attitude to sources. I could remark on the difference between figures for captured POWs and figures for own MIA, as Oleg already has, and I could give you a detailed critique of Krivosheev's rather pedestrian analysis of German losses. I could even, conceivably, simply ignore the several slurs who are all as transparently idiotic are they are baseless.

But it would be a waste of time because you will simply ignore it anyway. When you run out of arguments, which you have long since done, you will turn to blockheaded pseudo-arguments. When you can't even come up with any of those, you will simply do the equivalent of "no it isn't", and when that is exhausted you will demand to see the original documents, as if I had the Soviet state archives sitting in my living room. All the while, you'll trumpet any bullshit you chance across on the internet, while simply refusing to countenance information emerging from valid sources. When you don't know @#% about what you're talking about, such as the picture concerning losses, deliveries and stock development of tanks, no matter, you just turn up the stubbornness level another notch. It would be rather comical really, if I was more inclined to suffer idiots than I am.
matthall
Contributor

Post by matthall »

Nice one Qvist, but don't smoke again! Smoking is bad for you, you know. :D

I think we all know what igorns agenda is by now. It is trying to convince everybody here that the german forces were at least as good in the spring of 1945 as they were in 1941 or 1943. Why? Because he wants to prove that the red army wasn't the stupid steamroller that some people in the west thinks. I'm sure that most visitors here at feldgrau do know that already, but I also think that what igorns is doing is actually degrading to the sacrifice paid by the common red army soldier. Namely that it was the soviet technician or tactic who won the war, not the heroic soldier.

regards

Matt
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Nice one Qvist, but don't smoke again! Smoking is bad for you, you know.
Actually, I've just stopped smoking after 18 years of almost a pack a day, and I can tell you I'M IN NO MOOD TO JOKE ABOUT IT!!!!

No, just kidding, but seriously, it's pretty tough actually.

cheers
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Qvist wrote:I see absolutely no reason to waste time responding to this drivel, especially as I should think this is perfectly clear to everyone apart from you. Now, I could sit down and patiently write out the average time spent in hospital according to the different categories of injury or illness, and what commentary Kriovesheev provides for this table. I could go in detail into his figures for wounded and how these match the records of military hospitals, comparing it with similar practices in the German reporting system and what is known about the difference between recorded casualties and locally treated minor injuries. I could sit down and write out the yearly figures for stocks, losses and deliveries of tanks, carefully explaining such things as how stocks would not equal deliveries minus losses if losses included lightly damaged vehicles that were returned to service within a short time and deliveries didn't, and how the delivery figures are just slightly higher than the annual production figures, indicating that only a very limited number of deliveries consisted of repaired tanks, which would not be the case if deliveries included vehicles that were lightly damaged and then repaired. I could echo what Michate already has pointed out, namely that the repairs figures you yourself quoted are much higher than the loss figures for the same period, consequently it seems a trifle difficult to see how these repaired machines can have been included in those loss figures. I could quote to you figures for German tanks repaired with local means, and the relation of these to the number of tanks repaired back in Germany and the German tank losses. I could explain to you the difference between a good source and a source that is beyond any reproach, and I could try to get you to fathom the concept of an intelligently critical attitude to sources. I could remark on the difference between figures for captured POWs and figures for own MIA, as Oleg already has, and I could give you a detailed critique of Krivosheev's rather pedestrian analysis of German losses. I could even, conceivably, simply ignore the several slurs who are all as transparently idiotic are they are baseless.
Qvist,

Next time before talking nonsense use your brains and try to support your claims with at least some facts and don't jump around with Krivosheev's book like a monkey. You can go with Krivosheev's book to the toilet.

So far your didn't answer any of questions I raised. I understand that you don't have any facts and documents to support your sick theories but then don't try to play here a role of the knowlegeable expert. Study the matter first and then make your claims.

Igor
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

Delete DP
Last edited by Michate on Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

Question: Show to me with the references to the archival sources that Soviet loss figures reflect only written off or "sufficiently" heavily damaged vehicles. And by the way what do you mean by "sufficiently" heavily damaged vehicles?

Prove to me that none of the vehicles shown in Krivosheev book as "lost" were not returned to service. I refer you to the excellent Duffy's book in this regard.
Question: Do you think that Krivosheev include the number of more than 8,000 repaired AFVs given by Duffy as a subset of his number of 1267 lost AFV during the Vistula-Oder operation?
So far your didn't answer any of questions I raised. I understand that you don't have any facts and documents to support your sick theories but then don't try to play here a role of the knowlegeable expert. Study the matter first and then make your claims.
Well, he who is without guilt ...
Last edited by Michate on Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

I have answered your questions, in several cases more than once, and have supported my arguments with facts throughout. After that last post of yours it appears wholly superfluous to make any further explanations as to why there's little point in continuing to try to address you as a rational human being. I can only take some satisfaction in the certainty that an obvious prick like yourself is certain to be the victim of the occasional punch in the face by various people who have the misfortune to cross your path, and that you are sure to be regarded generally with that special loathing and contempt reserved for people who chooses an Agitprop mentality as a matter of preference.
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Qvist wrote:I have answered your questions, in several cases more than once, and have supported my arguments with facts throughout.
Relax my friend. Where you have answered the following questions I raised with the reference to facts and archival documents:

Question: I would like to see where and how Krivosheev arrived to the figure that "as far as combat injuries are concerned, spent an average of 76 days in hospital before returning to duty". Where are these myphical archival documents and hospital records. Present me at least one archival document confirming this bullshit.

Question: I would like to see documentary proof with the reference to archives that "lightly wounded" who according to Duffy represented over 40% of all wounded were not included in Krivosheev statistics.

When you say that Krivosheev is qualified source only for Soviet losses and not qualified sources for the Nazi Germany losses and losses of German allied sources I have a question.

What about Soviet archival documents concerning German, Hungarian, Romanian, Italian etc. POW in Soviet captivity and their distribution in different camps in 1943-1953? Is Krivosheev is a trusted source about number of German, Austrian and other POW in Soviet captivity? Why one should believe Krivosheev only in part of Soviet losses with references to Russian sources but not to believe to figures about German POW and death figures in Soviet captivity from the same sources?

Question:
What about archival documents about German casualties which are not reflected in Krivosheev statistics like, for example, over 600,000 of the defeated Grouping of Nazi General Schoerner in Checkoslovakia?

Prove to me that none of the vehicles shown in Krivosheev book as "lost" were not returned to service.

As far as your offensive statements are concerned they just show the level of your intellect and prove that you have no documents and facts to support your crazy theories.

Igor
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Drop the pretense boy, coming over all polite doesn't fool anyone, especially as the substantive points made are still as ridiculuous as ever.
Relax my friend. Where you have answered the following questions I raised with the reference to facts and archival documents:
I am not your friend, nor do you consider me your friend, and you have never the seen so much as a whiff of an archival document, so drop the crap. If you want to find the answers to your questions, all you have to do is go back in this thread. If you want to see the documents Krivosheev has used, by all means visit the archives. If you want to know about the tank losses and figures, get Krivosheev, or Zaloga, or any other work dealing with the subject and read for yourself.