Axis History Forum problems?

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I, for one, have never thought that change, for the sheer sake of change, is a valid strategy. But, then too, I don't think Marcus has ever lost eight in a row! Could be wrong, of course.

Point is that this new AHF format is supremely ugly, even if you believe that Marcus will someday become President of the U.S.A. :wink:

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

Just a quick note, for those who didn't see Marcus' message yesterday: One of the hard drives on the server is currently being replaced by the host company. All the information is safe, as the error was caught before the hard drive failed.

This is not related to the software upgrade, but the timing is of course less than perfect.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

The whole day to change a harddisk? I think there are still more problems with the database, this morning I have enough times "error" flashing when I tried to enter a thread :wink:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

If the hard drive has to be replaced by someone else, be configured appropriately and have all the data transferred, then yet, a day isn't that far off.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Now that phpBB3 has been released, there will be no security updates for phpBB2.
This is actually untrue, fyi.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

You are right, it looks like they just released a new security update, however:
Wikipedia wrote:Although the phpBB teams are now focusing on phpBB3, they continue to offer support for phpBB2 installations, and will issue a further release of phpBB2 if bugs or security fixes warrant it. It is unknown how long this will continue, however, particularly given that the PHP Group recently announced that they will be dropping all support for PHP 4 on August 8, 2008. Thus far, the teams have not commented on whether or not support for phpBB2 will be dropped in the near future.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Christian, if you're about - that's over ten hours now. Any word from Marcus?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Not at this point. I'll write something here if I have more info.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Christian, do you happen to know if the http://www.axishistory.com front end of the site is on the same disk? I see it's down too, even tho' it was available all thru the weekend's work.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Hello
I tried logging in to AHF twice today. No success.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

I would assume that both sites are on the same server.

Have patience. Marcus have a job and a family too, and you can't expect anyone to drop everything to get a forum back up and running.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Long time operation....hope, the Patient will survive :wink:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The AHF outage is coming up on thirty hours plus now, which is extreme for a hard disk replacement in a server cabinet and subsequent database reinstallation. Christian, have you any more word from Marcus as yet?
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

From what I can see, the new hard drive has been installed, and has been configured. My guess is that all that remains is for the data to be transferred. Considering that the post database alone has more than 1 100 000 entries, it is reasonable to assume it will take some time to transfer completely.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

A quick update: There has been a failure in communications, resulting in the upgrade being significantly delayed. There're people working on it now, and it should hopefully be resolved in a couple of hours.