Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Well, it definitely riddling time...

The pilot with the Pour le Mérite is (I think) Eduard Ritter von Schleich, who recieved the PlM (and got knighted, hence the von) as an Oberleutnant on 04.12.1917 while commanding Jasta 32. As a WWI Fighter Pilot, von Schleich was known as the "The Black Knight" because of is black painted Albatross D.Va.

Appart from WWI commands like Jastaschule 1 and finally in 1918 Jagdgruppe Nr. 8, he had begun the war as Eduard Schleich in the Bavarian Infanterie-Regiment 11 and saw heavy combat in 1914.

Well now, if I'm right about Eduard Ritter von Schleich and we also have a Luftwaffe Day fighter/Air-to-ground (if I got the operational flying clasp right?) support pilot who wears the RK and the DKiG... Unfortunately I don't recognize the face of the RKT... Yet!

These two pilots would be a clue to Mr. X's WWI unit... Hmmm... I suppose that Mr. X is/was a pilot and maybe made a Luftwaffe career...

I'll be back!

Krollspell 8)
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Ah, good old Krollspell is first to pick up the scent and start the hunt :D

Indeed the first officer is Eduard Ritter von Schleich!

Now find the second officer and I'm sure the connection to Mr. X's WW I unit will be easy to see.

Meanwhile I'll just happily trundle along spreading clues. :wink:

We're in 1919 now and, as many officers of the German army, Mr. X joined a Freikorps. And not just any old Freikorps but the one commanded by this officer:

Also in 1919 our Mr. X got married! To a young lady that one can only hope was more diplomatic than her father as is evident from the start of an article in a US newspaper in 1914:
BERLIN, Jan. 24. -- The unfailing talent of Prussian officers to create serious situations was revealed afresh in Berlin this week by Gen. XXXX, retired, who deeply offended the Bavarian Army.
I was going to put up a copy of the article but, long live the internet, yesterday it was there for all to see and today you have to register on a site to see it :( .
Nevertheless it is a clue!

Keep at it and I'm sure the identity of Mr. X will be revealed.

Regards,

Paul
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

The Bavarian-bashing old Prussian Junker was General von Kracht! :wink:
So he had a daughter...

A Doktor with a mission,

Krollspell :[]
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Von Kracht it is :D Krollspell!

Getting confused? Don't worry, take a look at the next clues to help you along and all will become clear in the end 8)

Moving on, in 1920 Mr. X joined the Reichswehr as a career officer and from that point on until the start of the war his career is like that of so many officers in that period. Gradually ascending through the ranks and getting to command ever larger units. Mr. served with the same service throughout this period but that was going to change in 1940 where he found himself in a new job and, for a short but important period, under command of this man:

Later in that year Mr. X got to work with the two gentlemen below, helping them to keep on speaking terms so to say:

Happy hunting!

Paul
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

My guess: Fridolin von Senger und Etterlin

waleed
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Reasons for guess:

- Born in Waldshut, the region of Baden (image #1)
- Attended Freiburg University
- Inspired by Cecil Rhodes (image#2)
- Rhodes Scholar at St. John's College, Oxford (image #3)
- WW1 - Leutnant der Reserve at first, later Leutnant
- Brother served in KIA WW1 as a pilot
- Married Von Krachts daughter
- Served under Rommel in WW2
- Liaison officer between generals Pintor and Stülpnagel (Heads of Franco-Italian and Franco-German Armistice Commissions)

waleed
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

And right you are Waleed! Though you didn’t catch on to all the clues :wink: .

Picture 1 Baden, as von Senger was indeed born in Waldshut in Baden.
Picture 2 Cecil Rhodes, after his death a fund was instituted from his earnings in South Africa and, of course, Rhodesia. This fund paid for the Rhodes Scholarship that helped von Senger to Oxford.
Picture 3 St. Johns College in Oxford where von Senger studied.
Picture 4 Eduard Ritter von Schleich, the man that would go on to be the first commander of JG 26 ‘Schlageter’.
Picture 5 Franz Götz, the last commander of JG 26 ‘Schlageter’.
Since Götz was too young to have served in WW I the nickname of the JG they both commanded was the connection. Named after Albert Leo Schlageter who was a Freikorps Kämpfer and actively resisted the French troops in the Rhineland. Finally caught and executed for acts of sabotage in 1923 he became a NSDAP martyr. During WW I Schlageter served in the same regiment as von Senger und Etterlin, Badisches Artillerie Regiment 76.
Picture 6 General Maercker. The man that raised the very first Freikorps in 1918 and is regarded as the ‘founding father’ of the Freikorpsen. Von Senger joined his Freikorps in 1919 in Saxony.
Pic/text 7 Father-in-law von Kracht.
Picture 8 Erwin Rommel. After a career with the Kavallerie the brigade that von Senger commanded in 1940 was upgraded to motorised brigade, hence the ‘new job’, and attached to Rommels 7 PzD.
Picture 9 Karl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel, commander of the Franco-German Armistice Commission.
Picture 10 Pietro Pintor, commander of the Franco-Italian Armistice Commission.
Von Senger was the liaison officer between these two.

Next would have been Von Sengers command of 10 PzGr-Brigade, 17 PzD, German troops in Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica through 1943 and finally various acts during his command of XIV PzK in Italy.

Von Senger und Etterlins switches between frontline and ‘diplomatic’ assignments, actions on the Western, Eastern and Mediteranian fronts and the very famous photo’s of him with the abbot of the monastery on Monte Cassino make him stand out from others and are the main reason for chosing him.

Over to you Waleed! :D
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

WALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED....... @{

[catching my breath...] Hrmph... well...

CONGRATULATIONS :!:

You beat me by a few danish hours since I planned to post the answer from home and not for work! :D :up: :D

A good and well executed riddle Paul! :up: :beer:
A very interesting character Fridolin von Senger und Etterlin.

Swedish Regards,

Krollspell 8)
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Thank you Paul for that good riddle.
Sorry Doktor, you did the initial riddling I just finished it!

I will try to make this next riddle just as interesting by starting off
with some Geography!

3 maps which all link up to one person - Mr. Y.
One links to his death, one to the death of his great inspiration
and neighbour and one to his place of birth.

The maps are scaled individually starting from left: Large, Medium, Small.

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Okay....the "inspiration and neighbour" is Admiral Graf Maximilian Von Spee...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

And the answer is Hans Langsdorff, captain of the Graf Spee...born in Bergen on the island of Rugen....but afterwards moved to Dusseldorf where his family were the nextdoor neighbours of the von Spee's.

Not sure of the third map, but the first is Rugen and the second is of course the Falklands where Maximilian von Spee and his command were lost at the Battle of the Falkland Islands on December 8th, 1914.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Wham bam! The Roadking knows his geography!

Yes first map is Rügen followed by the Falklands and last Argentina/Ecuador with the famous La Plata, final resting place of the Graf Spee.

Kapitän zur See Hans Wilhelm Langsdorff, last commander of of the Graf Spee is correct.
http://www.grafspee.com/

Very well done Philo. Over to you

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

H'okay....

What connects the medal recipient in this picture...

...with this person?

ONE word connects them....so I'm looking for that word and WHY it connects them! The winner will have BOTH in his answer, the word and the explanation...
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

And THIS is the link...DISREGARD the subtitles, they have no relevance to the answer.

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Time for another clue....or clues...

THREE generations of the same guys...