Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hehehe...

Then it must be the Italian submarine R.Smg. "Barbarigo" and the (in)famous commander Enzo Grossi. Grossi was one of a handful of Italian officers who recieved the Ritterkreuz. This was awarded for the alledged (and false) sinking of a major US Battleship of the "California" or the "Maryland" class. Apparently, Grossi did launch torpedoes against a US cruiser but missed. Then he added some weight in his report back the Italian Navy command...

I guess that Naval officer no. 1 might be Giulio Ghiglieri??? A former Skipper on the "Barbarigo". A good and informative (english) link on the "Barbarigo" and on Enzo Grossi is:

http://www.regiamarina.net/subs/submari ... igo_us.htm

Naval regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Nope....it is not the Barbarigo.

It is Enzo Grossi. The Ritterkreuz made him an easy find for you I guess :wink:

So the submarine has something to do with Grossi, was commanded at some time by another officer and was damaged.

The foto of the submarine in good shape was taken after the foto where it is listing.

Now try to combine all that with a group of men that would have looked very much like this group:

Looking forward to further answers 8)

Best regards,

Paul
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Paul!

The Italian submarine is the R.S.mg. "Luigi Torelli" that was badly damaged in an air attack and barely managed to limp back to the spanish coast and deliberately hit the bottom, thus grounded. This was in early June 1942 and the Captain at the time was a T.V. Augusto Migliorini (the pictured officer?)

After some repairs the "Torelli" left Avilas in Spain for the port of Bordeaux. After more repairs was she put to the sea again in February 1943, goal the Brazilian coast. She met up and was refueled by the "Barbarigo" but due to further attacks and damage, the "Torelli was forced to return to Bordeaux.

It was later in 1943 that Enzo Grossi came up with the idea of trading seven Italian subs, on of them the "Torelli" to the Germans since the Italians subs wasn't deemed to be combat/patrol worthy anymore. But due to their size and bulk they would make excellent transport submarines, something the germans needed.
The Italians were to recieve seven german Class VII-c U-boats. They were to be manned by italian crews but commanded by german officers.

The "Torelli" fought alongside the Germans up till the end in 1945 and was the transefferd to the Japanese Navy with the designation of I-504 and continued to fight, with a mixed crew (!) until Japan surrendered in september 1945. She was scuttled by the americans in the port of Kobe.

Surely a remarkable wartime "career" for one submarine... :shock:

Source (and a very good website):

http://www.regiamarina.net/subs/submari ... lli_us.htm

Now then?

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Here's another interesting photograph of Enzo Grossi. chatting with Karl Dönitz and sporting his Ritterkreuz!

http://presentations.uib.no/pls/portal/ ... _PART.show

The Ritterkreuz made him an easy find for you I guess
Paul, somewhere in the previous 167 pages of this Mother of all Threads, there was a riddle on Enzo Grossi and the "Barbarigo" from yours truly! :wink:

That's why I was able to spot him immediately! :D

As always,

Krollspell
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

UHHHH DOKTOR! So close and yet wrong first time...

And... TOO QUICK second time around as I was actually posting an answer as I saw it was already posted by you.

Well done

:up:

All I can add is: the Italian commander is C.F. Primo Longobardo (Pauls second image).

waleed
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

UHHHH DOKTOR!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

It has happened to me too, writing an answer just to find that a fellow riddler had posted just minutes before... :shock: It' all in the Game! :wink:

If Paul decides that my answer is a more or less correct one to the questions he posted, I'm happy to give my riddle opportunity to the fastest Riddler on Feldgrau! :up:

My life is as hectic as it is surreal for the moment so you can say that I'm "between riddles" for now...

But have no fear, I'll be back with a riddling vengeance in the near future!

With the best...

Krollspell 8)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Excellent work Herr Doktor :D

The Torelli it is!
Sailing to the Far East with German officers and an Italian crew, arriving there just before the surrender of Italy on 8 september 1943.
At first the Italians were interned but some opted to keep on fighting and were allowed to do so together with Germans aboard the Torelli. The boat was commissioned by the Kriegsmarine as UIT-25.
On 10 may 1945, after Germany capitulated, she was taken over by the Imperial Japanese Navy as I-504. Some time later Japanese crewmen joined the crew making it an Italian/German/Japanese crew.
Finally she was scuttled by the Americans in Kobe.

Some websites claim that she shot down an American B-25 towards the end of August 1945. Others deny that but if it is true the Torelli would have won the last victory by the Regia Marina, the Kriegsmarine and the IJN :!:

Waleed.....just too late :( . It is indeed Longobardo and other Italians would have followed. Though they wouldn't have helped much in solving the riddle :evil: 8)

So Grossi really had made an appearance before in the riddles. I thought so but wasn't sure....oh well, it's still a job well done Krollspell, over to you!

submerged regards,

Paul
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Thanks Paul!

A good and interesting riddle on a very fascinating object, the "Torelli" U-boat! Real life is always more interesting than fiction, don't you agree? I would really love to find/see a photograph of a german-italian-japanese mixed U-boat crew in 1945...

To Waleed and all other Riddlers... May the fastest Riddle poster win! @{

I do am between riddles... :?

Regards,

Krollspell
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Congratulation Doktor

The crew... Si! Jawohl! Hai! Would have liked to see that too.
Wonder which language they spoke onboard... English perhaps :D

- or a very silent sub with sign language 8)

waleed
kanzel
Supporter

Riddle

Post by kanzel »

I finally found out where my problem in posting images was. It was my service provider, AOL, that was blocking me. So, I will try posting and will do it with a very simple riddle. We are looking for the name of the person in this photo, the one on the left, no points for naming the one on the right. We also want to know what his claim to fame was that involved the man on the right.

Image[/img

Ullstein Photo credit
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Sorry Kanzel

The credit made it an easy one:

Hitlers 46. Geburtstag - Obermusikmeister Fürst gratuliert dem Führer
Obermusikmeister Georg Fürst (left), der Komponist des Badenweiler Marsches, gratuliert Adolf Hitler - 20.04.1935

Image number: 00041085
ullstein bild - ullstein bild
Date: 20.04.1935
Image size: 2789x3654 Pixel

An excellent site with millions of pictures and well worth visit
http://www.ullsteinbild.de

waleed
kanzel
Supporter

The solution.

Post by kanzel »

Correct you are, and it was meant to be easy, I wanted to simply see if I could finally post an image.

It's all yours again, so take it away.
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Thank you Kanzel.

Glad to see you got the image-posting sorted out and hope
to see many more riddles from you in the future.

Next one should be easy. A "Who is he?" first...
- and also what was his contribution to WWII.
What is so famous about this man to be included
in our great feldgrauian game of riddling?

Find his name and you'll find his fame or vice versa :wink:

Hint: The most famous contribution has two versions 8)

waleed
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Todays image and clue...

Below is his favourite tool as you may already have guessed.

German design, technology and an icon in photography.
I even think it was standard equipment for PK men, not sure though.

I might have given some misleading SIGNALs here so watch out! :D

waleed