there will always be an England, part 2

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Recently saw the Top Gear edition where they race from West to East London in a car, a bike, a boat and the tube.

Bike was quickest :!: , car the slowest by far. The car was driven by Captain Slow though 8) .

It did show that cycling in London is quite a dangerous business. Bit strange when it's also the quickest, cleanest and least congesting means of transport.

If only the lycra worn by English cyclists could be left at home. Ghastly sight that is.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

The article is being recycled in todays Sun:

and I doubt this bit will go down well with his supporters

Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

What's the difference, Clarkson?

In one case, someone was deprived of their civil liberties, in the other, people were practicing theirs.

Tosser. He does occasionally make some sense, on the whole though, he is a blowhard who discusses the 'crises de jour', makes cheap, hackneyed jokes about everyone, and loves the sound of his own voice.

Stick to Top Gear, Jezza, until the two talented ones kick you off.
Jock
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Paulus, when I were a lad....there used to be an "advertising gimmick" challenge laid on each year. An Olde Worlde mail stagecoach would leave I think it was Leeds....and travel with a bag of mail and passengers in period Dickensien costume to London to deliver it. Simultaneously to its departure from "Oop Narf", duplicate mail would be posted via Britain's "vaunted" postal system to London.

Ahem.....invariably the horse-drawn mailcoach travelling the length of England...WON!

I don't think they do it any more :D :D :D Nowadays even a small boy with a forked stick would carry the mail faster....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

phylo_roadking wrote: I don't think they do it any more. Nowadays even a small boy with a forked stick would carry the mail faster....
Did they try it for a letter from from Portsmouth to Inverness?
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Yup, some countries are grinding to a halt due to traffic. Public transport generally isn't the best alternative (not when travelling outside urban areas at least).
To get to work, only a few years ago, the car was much faster for me but nowadays going by bike saves me some 40 minutes a day in travelling time. And provides a little fresh-air-excercise while cycling through fields and parks (mostly) instead of just sitting in a car sniffing up a ton of pollution.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Did they try it for a letter from from Portsmouth to Inverness?
What - "international"??? :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

I’ve seen it all now. Feldgrau never ceases to amaze me. Jeremy Clarkson being touted as some new political guru, with all the answers to Britain’s ills. :wink: :D

I don’t actually mind Clarkson, and find his TV’s shows mildly entertaining. Somebody bought me his book “The World According to Clarkson” last Christmas and I have read snippets of it. It’s actually quite amusing and he does have value as a comedic writer.

But he’s in danger of believing his own hype and self-importance and when he crosses the border into genuine serious political issues, his opinions and the way they are expressed are often toe-curling in their embarrassment (which I think actually is his main intention).

He should stick to what he does best: dishing out valuable information to the British motorist, such as which Lamborghini corners best at 107mph, and his witty and acerbic writings on the mundane.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Cott Tiger wrote:I’ve seen it all now. Feldgrau never ceases to amaze me. Jeremy Clarkson being touted as some new political guru, with all the answers to Britain’s ills. :wink: :D

I don’t actually mind Clarkson, and find his TV’s shows mildly entertaining. Somebody bought me his book “The World According to Clarkson” last Christmas and I have read snippets of it. It’s actually quite amusing and he does have value as a comedic writer.

But he’s in danger of believing his own hype and self-importance and when he crosses the border into genuine serious political issues, his opinions and the way they are expressed are often toe-curling in their embarrassment (which I think actually is his main intention).

He should stick to what he does best: dishing out valuable information to the British motorist, such as which Lamborghini corners best at 107mph, and his witty and acerbic writings on the mundane.

Regards,

Andre
so you disagree with his contention and analysis in the articel?
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:
so you disagree with his contention and analysis in the articel?
Hi Erik,

Some of it. Some of it not.

In essence, England does indeed have issues about its identity. However I don’t think it’s because we can no longer make “greasy” Frenchmen jump to attention or because we can’t beat “swarthy” Croatians at football.

The issues are far more complex and whilst some of his observations are funny, sometimes they are just obnoxious (sometimes they are both), I find Mr. Clarkson devoid of any real political or social invention or inspiration.

His car program is pretty good though.

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

In essence, England does indeed have issues about its identity
what do you think these "complex" issues are?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi pzrmeyer,

The essential issue is the overlap with Britishness. About 80% of Britons live in England, yet the vast majority also have some demonstrable non-English ancestry, most of it Scots, Irish, Welsh or Cornish. More people with Scottish, Irish and Welsh surnames live in England than in any of those countries. As a result, English identity has been more completely subsumed in Britishness than the Scots, Irish or Welsh.

(It is also conveniently overlooked by some nationalist leaders trying to become big fish in small ponds that that high proportions of their own populations have some demonstrable English ancestry. For example, most Lowland Scots are actually of very longstanding English ancestry.)

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

For example, most Lowland Scots are actually of very longstanding English ancestry
...but I would suggest you stand firmly in England and shout that over the border...
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi pzrmeyer,

The essential issue is the overlap with Britishness. About 80% of Britons live in England, yet the vast majority also have some demonstrable non-English ancestry, most of it Scots, Irish, Welsh or Cornish. More people with Scottish, Irish and Welsh surnames live in England than in any of those countries. As a result, English identity has been more completely subsumed in Britishness than the Scots, Irish or Welsh.

(It is also conveniently overlooked by some nationalist leaders trying to become big fish in small ponds that that high proportions of their own populations have some demonstrable English ancestry. For example, most Lowland Scots are actually of very longstanding English ancestry.)

Cheers,

Sid.

I really dont think the cause of England 's (or Britain's if you prefer) problems stems from the mix percentage of Scots, Irish, Cornish, Welsh, etc.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...and don't let's forget the Afro-Carribeans, Lithuanians, Latvians, Poles, Indians, Pakistanis, Nigerians etc. .....by current legislation we're actually not allowed to leave them OUT of any such list of the responsible LMAO THAT would be racist....