help on badges

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

michael welch

help on badges

Post by michael welch »

Hello I am new to this forum having just found it. I am trying to find some info on a sculpture I am working on http://www.michaelwelchsculptures.com .I have lots of books on the waffen ss but need some help on the following .In the book by RZMs Platz-der Leibstandarte in the colour plates of Fritz Whitt and Michael Wunsche it shows them with badges which look a bit like the War Merit badge
which i know they aren’t can some one help me
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

Hello! Both Witt and Wünsche held the Bulgarian Order of Bravery, 4th Class (1st Grade) – the decoration you are referring to. It was a red enamel cross featuring a golden lion rampant on a red background within a green circlet upon white; in Cyrillic is Za Chrabrost (For Bravery) with the date 1941 (date Bulgaria entered World War II) at the base and gilt crossed swords placed between the arms of the cross. It was worn as a pin-back decoration on the left breast.

Best regards,
Shawn
michael welch

Post by michael welch »

Thanks for that . Why do you think the Bulgarian Army which I know were allies to the germans would be awarding bravery awards to the german armed forces. Also I have seen a picture of Kurt Meyer wearing the same badge so it must have been one of the campaigns where the Leibstandarte fought. Do you know what the awards were given for? Michaell
Shawn
Supporter

Post by Shawn »

Michael,

I presume they were awarded the Bulgarian decorations for their role in the campaigns in Yugoslavia and Greece (the LSSAH staged its attack from Bulgaria). Based on clear photographic evidence, a number of LSSAH officers were awarded the Order of Bravery, 4th Class (1st Grade). Undoubtedly many more received it, but the below list reflects only those I’ve seen wearing it in period photographs.

Arnold Jürgensen
Hugo Kraas
Hubert Meyer
Kurt Meyer
Wilhelm Mohnke
Rudolf Sandig
Georg Schönberger
Fritz Schröder
Walter Staudinger – Order of Bravery, 3rd Class (1st Grade)
Fritz Witt
Max Wünsche

Major Wilhelm Schmalz of the Army (later a Luftwaffe Generalleutnant and Commanding General of the Fallschirm-Panzer-Korps “Hermann Göring”) was also a recipient of the Bulgarian Order of Bravery, 4th Class (1st Grade).

Best regards,
Shawn
michael welch

Post by michael welch »

Thanks again for the info you obviously know your stuff!! Michael