skanderbeg fate

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

nino
Supporter

skanderbeg fate

Post by nino »

Hi,

Is there anybody who could help me to know infos about the fate of Albanian 'Skanderbeg' Division (or regiment after they were attached to Prinz Eugen') after the German surrender?
How many members of the unit (both Albanians and Germans) who were persecuted as war criminals (except their's commanders)?

Best Regards

Bless the people who like to help others.
J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

Re: skanderbeg fate

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

nino wrote:Hi,

Is there anybody who could help me to know infos about the fate of Albanian 'Skanderbeg' Division (or regiment after they were attached to Prinz Eugen') after the German surrender?
How many members of the unit (both Albanians and Germans) who were persecuted as war criminals (except their's commanders)?

Best Regards

Bless the people who like to help others.
I believe this unit was deactivated before the end of the war. Not many Albanians were left in it. It never really did anything of major significance.

Worst Division, EVER!
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Some can be found here: http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1927

B
Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

Wasn´t this Division disarmed short before the end of the war, by regular Wehrmacht troops which needed their ammunitions, weapons and vehicles? Think I remember something like this...
Pedites pugnas decernent
Politruk
Supporter

Skanderbeg division after Kosovo

Post by Politruk »

Greetings!

The Skanderbeg Battle Group along with the Prinz Eugen Division retreated to the to the Brcko region of Bosnia-Herzegovina by mid-january 1945. At this time the remaining Skanderbeg personnel were incorporated into the 14th SS Volonteer Mountain Infantry Regiment of the 7th SS division Prinz Eugen. The remnants of the Skanderbeg Division fought in this formation until the end of the war, retreating to Austria in May, 1945.

It seems as if the Albanian elements of the division simplu dissipated into the countryside when the division left Kosovo, and I have not been able to find any evidence of court cases against members of this unit. Some Serbian web sites are still calling out for prosecution of members of this division following atrocities committed against Serbs in Kosovo, It does seem, though, that members of this unit pillaged rather indescriminately from both Albanians and Serbs living in Kosovo. More info can be found in a rather good book called Albania at war by Bernd J. Fischer.

Sincerely,

Politruk
Mishar
Supporter

Post by Mishar »

You have here some info on them(in English)and lots of photos:

http://www.pogledi.co.yu/galerija/skenderbeg/index.php

I know about their perhaps biggest crime.In the villages of Velika,Gornja,Rzanica and Murina near Andrijevica in Montenegro on 28.07.1944 they exterminated over 500 inocent people,mostly women and children.I can give you names of the people and the way they killed them.I know about this crimes because my roots are from that area.
J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

Mishar wrote:You have here some info on them(in English)and lots of photos:

http://www.pogledi.co.yu/galerija/skenderbeg/index.php

I know about their perhaps biggest crime.In the villages of Velika,Gornja,Rzanica and Murina near Andrijevica in Montenegro on 28.07.1944 they exterminated over 500 inocent people,mostly women and children.I can give you names of the people and the way they killed them.I know about this crimes because my roots are from that area.
Both Albanians and Ustashi were more proxies of the Italians than the Germans.
Mishar
Supporter

Post by Mishar »

I agree.