Pershing vs Panzers

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Imad
Contributor

Pershing vs Panzers

Post by Imad »

There has been much talk in history books, particularly American ones, regarding the Pershing tank with its 90mm gun. I have heard it said that it was probably the most powerful tank in the war, that it compared very favorably with even the King Tiger, etc. Is there a final verdict on this? I personally think that by the time the Pershing was introduced to the E.T.O the quality of the Panzerwaffe had undergone a noticeable decline while that of Allied tank crews had definitely improved, hence I don't think relative casualty figures are anything to go by when comparing the Pershing with the Panzers.
Imad
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Ron Klages
In Memorium †

Too Much too Late

Post by Ron Klages »

Hard to call this one since very few T26E3 Pershings saw combat in Europe.

310 T26E3 Pershings were delivered to Europe and only 200 had been issued to units by the end of hostilities.

The first 20 arrived n Europe in January 1945 with 10 going to the 3.AD and 10 to the 9.AD. The 3.AD went into combat first on 25 February during the fighting for the Roer River. On 26 February a Tiger I took out the first Pershing killing two crewmen but it was repaired and back into action in a few days. On 27 February a Pershing from Co. E, 33.ArmRgt. destroyed a Tiger I and two Panzer IVs near Elsdorf. The Tiger I was hit from a range of about 900 yards while the Panzer IVs were hit from a range of 1200 yards.

The Pershings of the 9.AD also went into action in late February for the first time and on 1 March one was disabled by two rounds from 15cm FH. This pershing was soon repaired and back into action. On 7 March T26E3s were involved in the taking of the Remagen Bridge and a round from a Pershing destroyed the locomotive of a German troop train on the otherside of the Rhine.

Another famous battle was the destruction of a Panther in front of the Cologne Cathedral on 6 March by a Co. E. 32 ArmRgt., 3AD On this same day other Pershings destroyed a Tiger I and a Panzer IV near Cologne.

The only T26E3 destroyed completely in the European Theater was lost near Cologne when it was struck by a round from a Nashorn at a range of 500 meters. This was the first week of March.

In mid March another Pershing arrived from the US. This was a "super Pershing" with a longer 90mm gun. The 3AD also added additional armor plate. On 4 April this Pershing was involved in it's only combat engagement when it destroyed either a Tiger or a Panther from a range of 1500 yards along thr Weser River.

In late March an additional 40 Pershings arrived and 22 went to the 2.AD and 18 to the 5.AD. In April 30 more arrived and they were alocated to the 11.PD of Patton's 3.Army.

These 91 T26E3s did see combat but only the first 20 saw much combat. If you look at the raw numbers then the advantage goes to the Pershings since only one was lost. However, the fighting at this point in the war makes it difficult to determine the better of the tanks.

I believe that the only fact that can be stated is that the 90mm gun was definitely a better gun than the 75mm or 76mm guns in the Shermans and in terms of armor, the Pershing was an equal to Panthers and Panzer IVs. A better tank, not enought history to determine that.

Best regards,

Ron Klages
Ron Klages
Lynnwood, Washington USA
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Thank you Ron. 8)
Imad
greenhorn
Contributor

USSR strikes back

Post by greenhorn »

I'm surprised at our Roosian brothers not flying the flag for the JSs... with their 122mm gun.
Banzai!
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

I have heard that the Pershing was sometimes mistaken as German because of the muzzle brake. Is this true?

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Schachbrett

Post by Schachbrett »

well i´ve read that pershings fared pretty well in corean war against the russian armor used by the north coreans. you might find more material about pershing there. unfortunately i´ve read just a small article about it so i can´t give you any usefull guidelines :(
One who dies like a man, lives forever
krise madsen

Post by krise madsen »

In a book I once read about US WW2 tanks (can't remember title or author, sorry), there was a comparison of the Pershing vs. Panther and Tiger I made sometime in 1945. It stated that the Pershing was overall superior to the Tiger I (i.e. a combination of armour, mobility and firepower), but that it did not quite match the sloped armour and high velocity 75mm gun of the Panther.

There was also a story about Pershing crews training before their first action not being satisfied with the accuracy of the 90mm gun. The US Army officer in charge then set up a series of steel helmets and personally hit each and every one of them smack on from a fair distance, immediately ending any further discussion of the accuracy of the 90mm.
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

It is interesting you say that, Krise. Kenneth Mackesey's book "Tank vs Tank" stated quite specifically that the Pershing's 90mm was a disappointment. I read the book a while back so I don't remember what evidence the author offers for backing up the statement.
Cheers Imad
von_noobie
Associate

pershing vs panther or tiger

Post by von_noobie »

the m26 pershing was a really good tank with equal terms with the panther or tiger but it had one major draw back

the pershing was 41900kg in weight but mounted only a ford 18.00 litre V8 engine

thus making it a verey under powered tank
von_noobie
Associate

m26 pershing vs panther or tiger

Post by von_noobie »

hello back again

i am not sure if my info is correct but according to my info the pershoing had only 76mm of armour at the front 76mm at the front side and 51mm at the rear side with a poor 19mm at the rear

if this is true or not could some 1 tell me