Best division in the Waffen SS??

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

Those shirts are easy as yer printer, and as to the question i would say as well the 5th (not beacause i am under an indictment).

Schultz
JASGripen

Post by JASGripen »

exarchos wrote:Also because Wiking was made of foreigners, played a significant role I think. Maybe more convinced of anticommunist opinions?!

Interesting question would be, what id Wiking was ordered to Normandy or Ardennes. Would they fought the same then?
Some of them got contract for figthing on the Eastern front only, so that pretty much answers your Q.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Post by 2nd SS Panzer Das Reich »

On Axis history I took the advice of Christoph and did some resreach on the battle of Kharkov the 1st SS Panzer Korps (LSSAH and Das Reich) held off the 8th Guards Army.

http://www.geocities.com/talonsoftsfron ... Peiper.htm
Wehrmacht: men of courage
Emil
Supporter

Post by Emil »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:On Axis history I took the advice of Christoph and did some resreach on the battle of Kharkov the 1st SS Panzer Korps (LSSAH and Das Reich) held off the 8th Guards Army.

http://www.geocities.com/talonsoftsfron ... Peiper.htm
I don't think Peiper equals the complete Panzercorps and you forgot Totenkopf as part of the 1st SS Panzercorps. Besides that, what does an incomplete summary on a wargamers website have to do with "research"?
Sven Hassel

Post by Sven Hassel »

IMHO it has to be the Britisches Freikorps...nice uniforms, German girlfriends and no fighting...perfect!!
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Sven Hassel wrote:IMHO it has to be the Britisches Freikorps...nice uniforms, German girlfriends and no fighting...perfect!!
Less than 30 men does not a division make, Sven. :wink:

Yours,
Paul
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Paul, when it comes to the ladies that isn't really a problem isn't it? :wink:

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Touche', Nibelung!

Yours,
Paul
Heinrich Springer

Post by Heinrich Springer »

LAH - no question !
Guripa

Re: Not Waffen-SS, but Spanish Blue Division best foreign un

Post by Guripa »

Nebelwerfer wrote:I have had friends more knowledgeable than I sustain that the Spanische Freiwilliger Division (250th Infantry) or Blue Division may have been, pound for pound, the best foreign division in the Heer or the Waffen-SS. Wiking was certainly much better equipped; that is why I say pound for pound (or per capita).

The Blue Division was perhaps the most experienced unit in the Heer or Waffen-SS, since most of its personnel (hand picked from many tens of thousands of volunteers that came forward) were professional soldiers that already had 3 years of intense warfare under their belts by the time they showed up in Russia.

I do not have the statistics at hand, but I understand that their kill ratio versus the Russians, their casualty rate, number of armored vehicles destroyed per capita, their level of experience, and the hatred of the Soviet enemy for them (rooted in the Spaniards' ferocity) are important indicators.

Comments?

In fact, the Blau Division was the best foreign unit and much better than many german units. Battles like Volchov, Krasny bor, Ilmen for exemple gave us an idea of the many spanish heroes. It was the most awarded unit during the time it was fighting.
Ridgeback
Supporter

Best Divisions

Post by Ridgeback »

Personal opinion, but I have to agree with most of the replies posted so far its got to be the "Premier" divisions. In my case in the following order: Leibstandarte, Wiking, Das Reich, Hitlerjugend and Totenkopf as I say just a personal opinion, anyone agree/disagree with my view?
Ridgeback
Supporter

Post by Ridgeback »

Paul_9686 wrote:
Sven Hassel wrote:IMHO it has to be the Britisches Freikorps...nice uniforms, German girlfriends and no fighting...perfect!!
Less than 30 men does not a division make, Sven. :wink:

Yours,
Paul
Good point well put!!!!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Selective recruiting of volunteers will almost inevitably produce better divisions than others raised from mass recruited conscripts from the same manpower pool. All the W-SS, FJ and Spanish Blue Divisions have this in common.

The miracle of the performance of the German forces in WWII does not lie in the superior performance of these selectively recruiting formations, but in the high standard attained by the mass of the German Army.

Cheers,

Sid.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

sid guttridge wrote:Selective recruiting of volunteers will almost inevitably produce better divisions than others raised from mass recruited conscripts from the same manpower pool. All the W-SS, FJ and Spanish Blue Divisions have this in common........
Sid, are you serious when you say you think that the W-SS was mainly consisting of volunteers??

\Christoph
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Christoph,

Good point. I missed out the words "mentioned above".

It is, of course, clear that the majority of later W-SS (and even FJ divisions) were not composed of volunteers. However, all those advanced as contenders for best W-SS division in earlier posts overwhelmingly were.

Cheers,

Sid.