What does a Spiess book look like ?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

bartf

What does a Spiess book look like ?

Post by bartf »

Hi All,

Can any one tell, or even better show, me what the book and leather cover of a Spiess would look like ?

MfG,
Bart
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Y'know, I think Bart has a good question here. I've never seen a close-up of a German company sergeant-major's report book, either.

Yours,
Paul
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: What does a Spiess book look like ?

Post by Christoph Awender »

bartf wrote:Hi All,

Can any one tell, or even better show, me what the book and leather cover of a Spiess would look like ?

MfG,
Bart
Not sure what kind of book you mean. A company which was administrated by the Hauptfeldwebel had several books and these I saw all looked different on the outside.
If you want to see how the pages inside looked I can scan you some from a Hauptfeldwebel manual.

\Christoph
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

A visible sign of the Hauptfeldwebel's office was the Meldetasche (Reporting Pouch); a black leather case that was carried in the tunic front. In it he carried papers, rosters and other information he needed to fulfil his duties. The pouch had no straps or method of attachment to the uniform; the second button on the tunic was left undone and the pouch simply thrust in. This pouch was also worn with the armoured fighting vehicle uniforms (both black and field grey).
Taken from Landser:
http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/ranks/h ... dwebel.htm

Also has a few photographs which give you glimpses of the Meldetasche.
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Christoph Awender
Patron

Hello Leo!

The depicted book is an manual written by a Hauptfeldwebel for other Hauptfeldwebel. I don´t think that he means this book... I rather think that he means the books he had to use for administration of the company like the book for weapons, leave, ill, training, payment etc....

\Christoph
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Hi Chris,
I do not mean the paperback manual (Hilfsbuch für den Feldwebel by Hans Rodel) depicted there.

I mean the several photographs of Hautfeldwebel with this little book (Meldetasche "Reporting Pouch" [sic]) peeking out between the buttons of their tunics.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Christoph Awender
Patron

Leo Niehorster wrote:Hi Chris,
I do not mean the paperback manual (Hilfsbuch für den Feldwebel by Hans Rodel) depicted there.

I mean the several photographs of Hautfeldwebel with this little book (Meldetasche "Reporting Pouch" [sic]) peeking out between the buttons of their tunics.

Cheers
Leo
Ah I understand Leo..... let´s see what he really means.

regards
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Christoph, the web-page Leo gave us was exactly what I was looking for. What I was referring to was the report book or pouch which a company sergeant major (Spiess) normally carried tucked into his tunic front--something like the figure illustrated in plate B1 of Osprey Men-at-Arms #24, The Panzer Divisions.

Thanks, Leo!

Yours,
Paul
Christoph Awender
Patron

Paul_9686 wrote:Christoph, the web-page Leo gave us was exactly what I was looking for. What I was referring to was the report book or pouch which a company sergeant major (Spiess) normally carried tucked into his tunic front--something like the figure illustrated in plate B1 of Osprey Men-at-Arms #24, The Panzer Divisions.

Thanks, Leo!

Yours,
Paul
Very good. I thought you wanted to know what the inside contained and what the report sheets looked like.

\Christoph
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

That would be nice, too, Christoph, but for the time being, that webpage--and its associated site--will do.

Yours,
Paul
bartf

Re: What does a Spiess book look like ?

Post by bartf »

Christoph Awender wrote:... If you want to see how the pages inside looked I can scan you some from a Hauptfeldwebel manual
Hi Christoph,

That would be very welcome indeed ! Also I would like to know what the Meldetasche looked like, as I have only seen part of it in period pictures.

BTW does anyone know a Spiess tunic of the Wehrmacht Gebirgsjäger ? Still looking for one :wink:

MfG,
Bart