M42 Field Cap, M42 Camouflaged Field Cap and M43 Field Cap

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Wolfkin
Associate

M42 Field Cap, M42 Camouflaged Field Cap and M43 Field Cap

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

I am wondering about these field caps and wonder if someone can explain them to me. Apparently, there might be some conflicting information in the sources that I have. From what I understand, or what I believe I understand is this:

-The M42 Camouflaged Field Cap was adopted by the Waffen SS in June of 1942, and was modified in December 1942 with insignia. It was similar, in a way, to the cap worn by the Gebirgsjager in that it had the peak but it lacked the double-lined flaps.

-The M42 field cap was adopted in July 1942 but by the Heer and not the Waffen SS. This cap was similar to the Gebirgsjager field cap, in that it had the double-lined flaps, but it did not have the peak.

-The M43 field cap was the same cap worn by the Gebirgsjager that was adopted for the Heer and Waffen SS as the Einheitsfeldmutze. It had both the double-lined flaps and the peak. It was made in both black and feldgrau versions.

-I think that there is a possibility that some sources mix the M42 camouflaged cap up with the M43 and call the M42 a "camouflaged M43" but this would be incorrect.

Am I correct with what I write here? Would anyone have any corrections to the above? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Now where are all those uniform and headgear experts?
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/

Click on: UNIFORMS/Headdress: NCO's and men

Hope this helps you :wink:
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

Thank you LexLothar! That helps out a great deal! They don't mention the Waffen SS Camouflaged Field Cap though. Am I correct in saying that the Waffen SS Camouflaged Cap came out in June of 1942 and that the Einheitsfeldmutze M43 came out in June of 1943?

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

Wolf:

One thing you must remember is that M43/M38/M42 are all terms used by collectors to distinguish and catalog items. Soldiers care about not being shot not about what type of hat they have on lol. As far as I know about Waffen SS caps (which is limited since my area is the Heer) they produced the M42 cap which has no flaps or buttons in 5 varients all reversible: Palm, Oak A and B, Plane tree and Blurred Edge. As was unit regulations there was also no insignia on the hats such as the totenkopf and eagle as the M43 had. Also for dates when they came out....the M43 came out in late 42 but saw mass issue in 43. As for the M42 model I will have to ask my friend who specializes in it......ill try to find out as much as possible for you :wink:
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello LexLothar!

Thank you for your reply! I hope that you can find from your friend, the information that you mentioned.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

Were the M40/42 caps produced in Reed Green light weight HBT for WH use?
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

The M40 cap was the SS version of the Heer's M38 Oversea cap:

The Waffen SS M40:

The Heer M38:

The M42 cap was identical to the M43 except it does not have a bill:

Here is the classic M43 cap that Hollywood loves so much:

The only cap im aware of made out of reed green HBT was the Afrika Korp M40 hat (this is identical to the wool M43 but was issued to the Afrika Korp and mediterranean units):

PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

Lex , seen any in reed green HBT? (basically the WSS M42 or DAK M40)
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

HBT was all over the place lol The Heer had a special splinter camo hat made out of HBT. They were definatly out there let me see what I can dig up :wink:
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

Lex email me at [email protected]
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

k :wink:
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

thought most DAK stuff was not Reed green HBT? But light Olive cotton?
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

hmmm.....im going to say its feasible that there were both.....ill get back to u on that lol :wink:
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

thought most DAK stuff was not Reed green HBT? But light Olive cotton
?

Yes, a lot of stuff was made with captured French fabric in that configuration.

regards

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero