forgetten battles

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

mea

forgetten battles

Post by mea »

Hi
I’m looking for informations about Silesia campaign in 1945.
Now i have the book GOTTERDAMMERUNG,Last laurels and red storm in the reich, but need some other fact over that there and above all detailed informations about tank battle of bobr river( in february 1945
That river is situated beetwen the oder and the niesse river north of lauban; involved are nehring xxiv pz korpe (16 th and 17th pz div) von sauchen gd pz korpe (brandenburg and herman goering pz div) against 4th russian tank armee) and couterattacks around Lauban and Streinau
‘m looking also about detailed historie about battles of AGC in white russia from august 1943 till operaion bagration in june 1944
Unfourtunztely i don’t know german language
Hope that someone help me

Thanks and happy holidays
Giancarlo
Italy
D'adduzio giancarlo
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi Giancarlo
I lived in Sagan / Bobr river, so it's my duty to answer you. River Bobr goes from Sudeten mountains to Oder river. Main cities near bobr are:
Hirshberg (Jelenia Gora)
Bunzlau (Boleslawiec)
Lauban (Luban)
Sagan (Zagan)
this battle you have mention are rather two separate operations. When Russians launched winter offensive in 15 january, wehrmacht was almost destroyed. In February 1945 red army achieve Oder river. 22nd February was taken Sagan, large railway junction, and crossed autobahn Breslau - Berlin, 8 km south from Sagan. To 24th february Russian capture Liegnitz (Legnica) and Greenberg (Zielona Gora) in western Silesia. Still was sieged Glogau (Glogow) and Breslau (Wroclaw). From this time frontline was freezed on line south from Liegnitz - Bunzlau. Russians got autobahn Krakow - Breslau - Berlin, Germans hold railway Waldenburg - Gorlitz. Near Waldenburg (Walbrzych) are coalmines, and in sudeten mountains was large number of amunition factories. Both sides knew how important area is it. However 1st Ukrainian Front lost in february 1945 almost 1000 tanks, Breaslau and Glogau were in Germans hands so offensive was holded. Russians launched another offensive 7th may 1945. German defence was symbolic, so Russians almost without battle achieve Czechoslovakian city Liberec.

Germans: 17th Army gen. Wilhelm Hasse, including 57 Panzer Korps, Panzer Korps "Grossdeutschland", VIII Korps, and some other units

Russians:52nd Army, 31st Army, 21st Army and 59th Army

Check this map (unfortunatelly text only in Polish)
http://ubocze66.republika.pl/wyzw.htm
laszlo.nemedi
Supporter

Post by laszlo.nemedi »

http://panzerkeil.dre.hu/egyeb/egyeb.htm

and click on the "A laubani páncélosütközet"

sorry only in Hungarian. Use automatic translator, and if you have question, let me know...
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Here you find an article about the Battle of Lauban by OTL a.D. Klaus Christian Richter (in german language).

:[]

Jan-Hendrik