Eben Emael Veterans

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Fish
Contributor

Eben Emael Veterans

Post by Fish »

Does anyone know if there are any surviving Fallschirmajager veterans from the raid to take Fort Eben Emael.
I known all the Knights Cross Recipients from that mission have passed on and that Lt Witzig and Sgt Wenzel have passed in the last year or two

Regards
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Hallo, Fish:

You might try posing your question on either or both of these websites, if you haven't yet: http://www.rottauer-museum.de (do take note of the photograph section of "Panzergirl"!), and http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk.
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

:shock: MEIN GOTT!!!! Uli your a bad bad man 8), however the website looks really cool.
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

Fish:

Here is a little link about Eban Emael. At the bottom of the page you will find out some of the fates of people who were involved in the fight:

http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/belgium.htm

Sadly most of the men have died :(
Fish
Contributor

Thanks

Post by Fish »

Lex, Thanks thats a great site thanks for the tip. Sorry to say not many of the original crew are left alive.

Best
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Just read the whole site....very nice job I will add !! :D
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

well thanks :D
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

No prob. Give credit due when it is required.
Nice Pictures on the site too. 8)
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
hennesmeiser

veterans of eben emael

Post by hennesmeiser »

hi together,
my girlfrind is the daghter of the son of ofw josef porsteffen. we are searching for informatins about him since nearly 2 years. does anybody know something about this knights cross holder? does anybody veterans from the 51. pibtl (mot)?

p.s.: i am sorry for my bad english - it is 12 years ago when i have learned the language. :oops:

hennesmeiser
hennesmeiser

Post by hennesmeiser »

look at my post: belgium fotress "eben emael"

thanks
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Wow! :shock: Panzer Girl just made me forget about all this WW2 crap!
Uli
Enthusiast

Eben Emael Veteranen

Post by Uli »

Very doubtful that many of the Eben Emael assault heroes still remain with us. There were only 85 original members of Rudolf Witzig's "Granite" group, and the operation took place nearly 65 years ago! Gott im Himmel!

Also: Language proficiency is neither positive nor negative here. All that matters is what is contained within one's heart. And glad a few of you enjoyed "Panzergirl." She's my wife, actually (just kidding!)

Thanks, Lex, for the tip on the website.

I raise a bier tonight to my cousin, Erwin, killed in France in 1942. He was an airman with 12 kills to his credit at the time of his death. Buried in Bourdon, France.
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

Re: panzer girl
nice.....er?....Zundapp!!
I could marry a girl like that, if I weren't married already, I like specially the fiery look of her eyes...

very best regards & a happy /& warm new year!!

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Mischkulnig

Re: Eben Emael Veteranen

Post by Mischkulnig »

Uli wrote:
I raise a bier tonight to my cousin, Erwin, killed in France in 1942. He was an airman with 12 kills to his credit at the time of his death. Buried in Bourdon, France.
Meine Oma died on this anniversary - although 51 years later - a good innings!.
I raise a bier also to your cousin on this day on seeing your post.

Meine Oma came from Bruck-an-der-Mur in Austria and was a Helferin of some description - don't know whether Luftwaffe or Wehrmacht. She didn't talk of it much and I wish I could have found out more. I know her cousin was in an Austrian regiment that fought at Stalingrad and was wounded and was still alive in 1984 when I met him (as an 11 year old). Again - regret not finding out more.

Does anyone know how I would trace meine Oma's service and family circle? My German is not great, but would the town of Bruck an der Mur (Steiermark) keep any such records?
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Thanks for your note, Misch: Glad you had Oma at least for a short time during your life. Too bad you weren't able to better know Oma's cousin, the Stalingrad veteran.

I should think that Steiermark would have those records you're seeking: Most such documents are stored within local church vaults in Germany, I believe. Being the hardworking sort that they are, German townspeople will likely help you find what you're looking for.

~zum Wohl! (I'm having that bier now, Misch: It's a Becks! Yummy. My personal favorite!) Go Bremen!

Merry Christmas to all.