Who was this man...

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
AH

Who was this man...

Post by AH »

Whos was Max Hansen? I know he was SS but that's it, do you have any info on him?
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Post by Ernest Penfold »

Hello,

I found this on a website selling off his personal photo albums. It's not much help, but perhaps it is a beginning.
These albums chronicle the career of Max Hansen, an SS officer who joined in August 1931 as an inductee. He was promoted to an Untersturmführer in November of 1936. Hansen went on to eventually reach the rank of SS Standartenführer. He was everything the German "master race" was about physically. He is a very tall blonde man with the same arrogance in his look, which the movies have captured ad finitum over the years. Hansen is literally a stereotype of what we think of as an SS officer. They follow his entire career with the ÷Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler,÷ and later as commander of the first SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment "LSSAH". The first album consists of photos of the black Allgemeine uniform being worn, with Hansen ranking as an SS man. There are also photographs showing Hansen stationed with the LAH SS guards at Berchtesgaten. Other photos show Hansen on the patio at the Berghoff along with other family members. There are also photographs of Hansen with a skiing team. The next album progresses into the beginning of WWII when Hansen became an Waffen SS officer. This album details Panzer tanks, the conquest of Poland and France with many shots of SS officers enjoying themselves in Paris, SS graves, SS vehicles, etc. The last album features Hansen after winning his Knight's Cross and after being assigned to the first SS Panzer Grenadier regiment, "LSAH". In the Russian campaign his battalion was credited with the retaking of Kharkov. Hansen is shown speaking to local citizens, he is also shown with Himmler, Dietrich, Goebels, Wolf and many other high ranking SS personnel. The uniform study is fantastic showing Hansen with his German Cross, first and second Iron Cross, Knights Cross - everything we would want to see or could imagine.
M.Wittmann
Supporter

Post by M.Wittmann »

Standartenführer Max Hansen

* 31.07.1908 Niebüll
+ 07.03.1990

Ritterkreuz am: 28.03.1943 als: Sturmbannführer as Kommandeur II./PzGrenRgt.1 "LAH"

835th Eichenlaub am: 17.04.1945 as Standartenführer and Kommandeur SS-PzGrenRgt 1 "LAH"

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Nahkampfspange in Gold

Bes. Vermerke: Laut Krätschmer RK im III./SS-PzGrenRgt 1 "LSSAH".

http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Info about 5.SS-Pz(Gren)Div 'Wiking' and the dutch Waffen-SS volunteers.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Among other things, he commanded the balance of the Leibstandarte at the Bulge - that is, the part that wasn't Kampfgruppe Peiper was Kampfgruppe Hansen.
AH

Post by AH »

Okay, was this here Max Hansen? Or who is the man on this pic.

http://www.knallert-tuning.dk/axis/ss1.bmp
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,

To me the picture from AH bears no resemblance to the picture ealier in the thread.

Regards and Merry Christmas

Helmut
AH

Post by AH »

Helmut wrote:Servus,

To me the picture from AH bears no resemblance to the picture ealier in the thread.

Regards and Merry Christmas

Helmut
I know, but I've heard that the picture I have is of Max Hansen, so just checking.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Hansen's picture appears on the spine of either "Steel Inferno" or "Men of Steel", I forget which.
AH

Post by AH »

Okay, now I've sorted out who Hansen was.

Now who is the guy at the other picture?