Sicherheit vs. Sicherung:

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Joe AVENT
Supporter

Sicherheit vs. Sicherung:

Post by Joe AVENT »

I've seen both used as adjectives, which is correct? Does it have to do with the der/die/das case? Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Good hunting
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

They can probably best be translated this way:

Sicherung = secure or security
Sicherheit = safety
Joe AVENT
Supporter

Sicherungs vs. Sicherheits:

Post by Joe AVENT »

I've discovered on an English/German on-line dictionary that sicherungs
stands for backup whilst sicherheits means security.

For years I've read that Heer Sicherungsdivisions were security divisions & that Sicherheitspolizei stood for security police. I imagine that it was a convenient translation concerning the word sicherung. Differing opinions are sought after.

Good hunting
Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

"Sicherung" is a standing term in military German. It describes a kind of middle between "guarding" and "defending". Let me try to explain:

Three kinds of action:

"Bewachung": guarding an object, mostly peace-time action, no enemy attacks considered to take place

"Sicherung": secure an object, mostly in wartimes, but backward areas or so, enemy attacks are expected to be possible, but not in any case.

"Verteidigung": defending an object, enemy attack is taking place or is expected to take place in the direct future.

Note: in the case of an enemy attack, the status automatically will change from "Sicherung" to "Verteidigung"

On the other Hand, the term "Sicherheit" can be directly translated as "Security" and covers military security (military police, military guarding service, intelligence) as well as "civilian" security (police, secret service and so on).

Troops guarding objects are called "Sicherungstruppen" (translated as security troops) or "Wacheinheiten" (guard units), in this case the "guard" has no meaning of "elite" but only "watching and patroulling".

Often there is a mistranslation naming something "Sicherheitstruppen" instead of "Sicherungstruppen". To my best knowledge this is wrong, as I don´t know any "Sicherheitstruppen" in german military language.
Pedites pugnas decernent
Joe AVENT
Supporter

Sicherheit:

Post by Joe AVENT »

Thanks for the reply "Grunt".

I'm sure that you are aware of the WW II useage of Sicherheitspolizei,(
general term for the combined Gestapo & Kripo 'agency'; the Sicherheits-
dienst when combined with the Sipo made up the Reichsicherheitshauptamt, (RSHA).

I realize that the above mentioned are not combat troops but they were assigned to the rear areas of Army Groups N., M. & Sued for partisan
pacification, etc, etc.

Good hunting
Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

Sure, from this point of view there could be "Sicherheitseinheiten". As far as I know police units never were referred to as "Truppen" which is a military term only. So I may correct my last statement:

Sicherheitstruppen - no, should be called Sicherungstruppen

Sicherheitseinheiten - yes, truly possible
Pedites pugnas decernent