Medical - Schusterspan

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

graykcb

Medical - Schusterspan

Post by graykcb »

Hello,

I am trying to find a contemporary equivalent of Schusterspan. It was used as a splint material and appears to be something like thick cardboard or wood fibreboard. A German description is:

Ein starker Papierspan der beim herstellen von Bogensatz in Accidenzdruckereien gebraucht wird.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Post by Ernest Penfold »

I can't answer your question directly, but something in your post doesn't seem quite right. Your German description sounds like it refers to printing or publishing because "Drucker" is a printer and "Accidenz/Akzidenz" is a style of font or typeface.

I'm guessing "Schusterspan" is an idiom with multiple meanings and you might have posted an incorrect description. Perhaps a native German speaker here can help sort it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Off topic meanderings: For anyone interested in printing, if one has a paragraph but the first line is isolated at the bottom of a column of text, one gets a "Schusterjunge", or "shoemaker's boy". If the very last line of a paragraph is isolated at the top of a column of text, one gets a "Hurenkind", literally, the child of a whore. The equivalent phrases in English are "orphan" and "widow". I used to do typesetting in my younger days and to avoid orphans and widows, we'd insert thin metal slivers of lead between the lines to help space out the text. Nowadays, programs like Microsoft Word automatically keep paragraphs together (orphan and widow control). "Schusterspan" is likely the German word for what we used to call "leading".
SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

It´s in general the difference between Span (wooden chips or metal shavings) and Spann (instep of the feet) what makes you confused. :D

Schusterspann or Leisten is a wooden foot a shoemaker uses as a model (hard to explain). He nails the the leather to the Leisten to bring it into the right form/position before assembling the sole.

Sven.