9th Pz.Div.

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Gino

9th Pz.Div.

Post by Gino »

Could anyone help me to find the 9th Panzer Div. OoB and main field operation during the 42/45 period? Thanks in advance.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Gino!

I can help you with some info. During the period '42-'45 the 9th Panzer Division consisted of:

- Panzer Regiment 33
- Panzergrenadier Regiment 10 and 11
- Panzeraufklarung Abteilung 9
- Panzerjager Abteilung 50
- Panzer Artillerie Regiment 102

In early 1942 the 9th Panzer Division was stationed in the Central part of the Eastern Front in the Bryansk and Kursk areas. In June the Division took part in the Summer Offensive and saw fighting in the Voronezh area attached to the XXIV Panzer Corps in the Fourth Panzer Army. Later on that year the Division was moved to the Rshev area. Early 1943 saw the 9th Panzer Division stationed in the Orel sector. In July the Division saw action during the Kursk Offensive as a part of the Ninth Army. Later on in the Summer and Fall the 9th Panzer Division saw action along the Dneiper River in the areas of Stalino, Krivoi Rog and Nikopol. In April of 1944 the Division was moved to France to refit. The Division saw action in Normandy in the later parts of the campaign in August. The Division was committed to action in parts and did not see action as a complete unit. In the Fall of 1944 the 9th Panzer Division saw action in the Aachen area as well as along the German-Dutch border in the areas of Geilenkirchen and Roermond. In December and January the Division saw some action in the Ardennes and the Eifel areas. In the last months of the war the 9th Panzer Division fought in the Cologne, Remagen and Ruhr areas. Apparently, remnants of the Division fought on until surrendering in the Harz Mountains.

This is kind of an amalgamation of various information from three books. Panzer A Revolution In Warfare by Roger Edwards, The Panzer Divisions Men At Arms Series 24 by Martin Windrow and Richard Hook and Panzers At War by A.J. Barker. Along with a few things added by me. :D

If you need some more detailed info about specific dates or anything, just let me know. 8)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Gino

Post by Gino »

Thanks Wolfkin, i really appreciate your reply and basically your informations were just what needed.
All the best.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Cool!

No problem, always glad to help out!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

One more note or two about the 9th Panzer Division: it was one of only three panzer divisions to have Panthers equipping its entire second panzer abteilung (not the first, as was usual). In the 9th's case, this was II/Pz. Rgt. 33; the other two were II/Pz. Rgt. 23 of the 23rd Panzer Division, and II/SS Pz. Rgt. 5 of the Wiking Division.

In addition, because of its Austrian origins, Pz. Rgt. 33 carried the honor title "Prinz Eugen", but I don't know if it had a cuff title or not.

Yours,
Paul
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello Paul,

If I just may add a minor detail: Sometimes the P4 of Pz Rgt. 33 sport Prinz Eugen on the tanks (usually on the turret-Schürzen). It is based on the famous Prinz Eugen Monument depicting him riding on a horse.
Cheers
Hans
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Thanks, Hans! I wasn't aware of that. Heck, until I read up a little bit about him, I wasn't even aware of the significance of Prince Eugene of Savoy. Now I know--he was one of the most famous soldiers of his time (probably the best), and most interestingly, he was a native of France who wound up spending most of his lifetime fighting against his native land in the service of Austria. He was also the friend and comrade of John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough in the wars of the early 18th Century. I believe Eugene is seen as a German and Austrian hero, Hans; am I right?

Yours,
Paul
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello Paul,

Yes indeed, very intersting life he led. He actually applied for a post in the French King's army first and was turned down. Bad judgement by Louis XIV, he really was a nemesis to the French after that. He is most fondly remembered by the Austrians, as he was with the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation, aka the Habsburg Monarchie, Vienna. He also led some decesive battles against the Turks.

Cheers
Hans