Uncle Helmuth

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Anton

Uncle Helmuth

Post by Anton »

I do not know much about him. But he was very close to the family before and during the war.

This picture shows him in uniform. Any ideas what he was? Obviusly he was in the SS, that much I can see on the collar.

This picture is taken in prison camp after the war. I say he look very stilish to be a prisoner.

This is why I know it is from his prison time, It reads as far as I can see
Zum andenken von Dein Freund Helmuth in gefangenshaft in (Sucht?) lager (Mab?)
Fur Dich und Hertha
Helmuth.
The words in bracket I can´t read or understand. In english that is "For rememberance of your friend Helmuth in prison camp
For you and Hertha (my grandma)

They where from Danzig, but I do not know if the prison picture was taken during the war or after. I do not even know if it was an allied or nazi prison camp.
M.Wittmann
Supporter

Post by M.Wittmann »

It seems that he had the rank of Rottenführer - corporal.
Wearing Algemeines Sturmabzeichen if I'm correct.
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"

Wanted:
Info about 5.SS-Pz(Gren)Div 'Wiking' and the dutch Waffen-SS volunteers.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Thanks. I did a blowup on his medals. Maby they say anything?

Thomas V.
Supporter

Post by Thomas V. »

"M.Wittmann" is incorrect. That is not the Allgemeines-Sturmabzeichen. It's the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber, which means your uncle served in a non-motorized unit at some time to be awarded this Orden. To the right is the SA-Wehrsportabzeichen and to the left is a Verwundeten-Abzeichen in Schwarz. He is indeed a Rottenführer. "Zucht Lager" is what he writes, which could translate as a 'prison camp'.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Thanks Thomas! Is it not an uniform he is wearing at prison camp? Stripped from insignia? I don´t know but it somehow does not look german to me.