Otto Skorzeny a true hero of Germany

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Otto Skorzeny a true hero of Germany

Post by 2nd SS Panzer Das Reich »

Otto Skorzeny was the best commando of World War II, If not the best commando of all time. He was born in Austria but as many Austrians (like Hitler) found themselves in Germany.

He tryed to get into the Luftwaffe but was to old. So he turned to the Waffen SS he found a place there a served with one of Germany's best Divisions-- the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler". He saw action in the balkens campaign. And soon found himself fighting in the USSR in 1941 and 1942 before he was badly wounded and sent back to Germany. He was awarded a Iron Cross around this time.

And a legend was born! When Italy fell Mussolini was captured by Italian partisans and held at a hotel in the mountians with a massive number of guards (I don't know the number please inform me). After two months of a cat and mouse game-- Skorzeny struck! he landed a small team of Waffen SS glider commandos and saved Mussolini with very few shoots being fired.

Otto Skorzeny led yet another dareing mission on May 25 1944
It was to capture Yugoslav partisan leader Tito. The Mission cost 213 Germans killed 881 and 51 were missing. However this was small compared to partisan losses numbering about 6000 died! But Tito sleped away just a few minutes before Otto Skorzeny reached the cave were he set up his HQ.

After the assassianation attempt on Hitler Skorzeny played a major role in restoring order among the OKW and OKH and spent 36 in TOTAL command of the mightly Wehrmacht!

His next big mission was to capture Miklos Horthy's son. to provent Hungary from back stabbing Germany. He and the commando team blasted there way in to the building and kidnapped his son by rolling him up in a carpet and draging him out. A pro German goverment was then installed and fought along side Germany until the pretty much the end.

As the war drew to a end Adolf Hitler called apon Otto Skorzeny for a final time. With a Mission to led a team of english speaking Germans into Allied held areas and create havoc during the famous battle of the bulge. These troops worked wonders one team took and acted as MPs guarding a bridge. Some the soldiers were caught and when asked what their mission was, they said that Otto Skorzeny was leding a commando raid in Paris to kill Eisenhower this was a lie but allied soldiers believe it. and for weeks Eisenhower did not dare leave his quarters which had now been turned into a super fortress.

Otto Skorzeny spent the last few days of the war as a acting Major General. Commanding armies in Prussia and Pomerania. He was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves a great German military award.

Otto Skorzeny was one of Das Reichs greatest heroes... In my eye's awarding him the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves Swords and Demands would be a must if I was Hitler.
Wehrmacht: men of courage
Kamen Nevenkin
Contributor

Re: Otto Skorzeny a true hero of Germany

Post by Kamen Nevenkin »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: A pro German goverment was then installed

It was pro Nazi goverment, not pro German...
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: and fought along side Germany until the pretty much the end.
From Austria, in order to be closer to the frontline...
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: Otto Skorzeny was one of Das Reichs greatest heroes...
Otto Skorzeny was a fanatical, die hard nazi and admirer of the Grofaz (Hitler)
http://auschwitz.dk/skorzeny.htm
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:if I was Hitler.
No comment...
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny was the best commando of World War II, If not the best commando of all time. He was born in Austria but as many Austrians (like Hitler) found themselves in Germany.
...which other WW2 commando's did you study to be able to compare them with Skorzeny? Your assumption that Skorzeny was the best must be based on some research, right?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:He tryed to get into the Luftwaffe but was to old. So he turned to the Waffen SS he found a place there a served with one of Germany's best Divisions-- the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler". He saw action in the balkens campaign.
That's quite odd. The Leibstandarte didn't become a Panzer-Division untill October 1943.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:And soon found himself fighting in the USSR in 1941 and 1942 before he was badly wounded and sent back to Germany. He was awarded a Iron Cross around this time.
...interesting, but average frontline duty does not make him the best commando of all times.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:And a legend was born!
...a legend. But what about the facts?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:When Italy fell Mussolini was captured by Italian partisans and held at a hotel in the mountians with a massive number of guards (I don't know the number please inform me). After two months of a cat and mouse game-- Skorzeny struck! he landed a small team of Waffen SS glider commandos and saved Mussolini with very few shoots being fired.
...Yes, few shots were fired. The Italian guards did not put up a fight. Yet 31 German commandos died and 16 were severely wounded. An extremely high casualty rate of 40 percent. And not in battle but from injuries sustained during the glider landings because the planning was an example of amateurism. Luftwaffe experts tried to convince Skorzeny that the plateau was not suitable for gliders to land but he would not listen.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny led yet another dareing mission on May 25 1944. It was to capture Yugoslav partisan leader Tito. The Mission cost 213 Germans killed 881 and 51 were missing. However this was small compared to partisan losses numbering about 6000 died! But Tito sleped away just a few minutes before Otto Skorzeny reached the cave were he set up his HQ.
...in other words: 213 German killed, 881 wounded and 51 missing. They lost 1145 men in an operation that was a complete failure. 6000 partisan casualties, if that is indeed an accurate figure, cannot hide that fact. The mission was to catch Tito but all they caught was one of his tunics, left in one of the houses of the deserted village.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:After the assassianation attempt on Hitler Skorzeny played a major role in restoring order among the OKW and OKH and spent 36 in TOTAL command of the mightly Wehrmacht!
...interesting - if true - but not part of his commando achievements.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:As the war drew to a end Adolf Hitler called apon Otto Skorzeny for a final time. With a Mission to led a team of english speaking Germans into Allied held areas and create havoc during the famous battle of the bulge. These troops worked wonders one team took and acted as MPs guarding a bridge.
...which bridge was this and what use was it for the Germans? Skorzeny had brought 9 sabotage groups (4 men each) across the front line. Two of them were taken prisoner at once, two more, according to Skorzeny, told fairy tales about their deeds after return, and 5 groups, in Skorzeny’s opinion, caused some damage to the American troops. This damage, as he proudly recalls, consisted in cutting two telephone cables, removing a few road pointers and exploding an ammunition depot.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Some the soldiers were caught and when asked what their mission was, they said that Otto Skorzeny was leding a commando raid in Paris to kill Eisenhower this was a lie but allied soldiers believe it. and for weeks Eisenhower did not dare leave his quarters which had now been turned into a super fortress.
...and what use was that to the Germans? Did it keep Eisenhower from directing his troops and from winning the battle?
BTW, why did you leave out the failure of moving his Panzers into American held territory and the complete failure of his attack on Malmédy on December 21st? On December 28th Skorzeny’s panzer brigade was sent to the rear for rest.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny spent the last few days of the war as a acting Major General. Commanding armies in Prussia and Pomerania.
Armies? Which armies did he command? On January 10th, 1945 Skorzeny’s brigade was disbanded. However, the SS battalion "Mitte", the SS paratrooper battalion and the company-sized "Nordwest" battalion remained under his command.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:He was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves a great German military award.
...yes, but for what?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny was one of Das Reichs greatest heroes... In my eye's awarding him the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves Swords and Demands would be a must if I was Hitler.
LOL
Former member
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Timo wrote:
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny was the best commando of World War II, If not the best commando of all time. He was born in Austria but as many Austrians (like Hitler) found themselves in Germany.
...which other WW2 commando's did you study to be able to compare them with Skorzeny? Your assumption that Skorzeny was the best must be based on some research, right?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:He tryed to get into the Luftwaffe but was to old. So he turned to the Waffen SS he found a place there a served with one of Germany's best Divisions-- the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler". He saw action in the balkens campaign.
That's quite odd. The Leibstandarte didn't become a Panzer-Division untill October 1943.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:And soon found himself fighting in the USSR in 1941 and 1942 before he was badly wounded and sent back to Germany. He was awarded a Iron Cross around this time.
...interesting, but average frontline duty does not make him the best commando of all times.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:And a legend was born!
...a legend. But what about the facts?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:When Italy fell Mussolini was captured by Italian partisans and held at a hotel in the mountians with a massive number of guards (I don't know the number please inform me). After two months of a cat and mouse game-- Skorzeny struck! he landed a small team of Waffen SS glider commandos and saved Mussolini with very few shoots being fired.
...Yes, few shots were fired. The Italian guards did not put up a fight. Yet 31 German commandos died and 16 were severely wounded. An extremely high casualty rate of 40 percent. And not in battle but from injuries sustained during the glider landings because the planning was an example of amateurism. Luftwaffe experts tried to convince Skorzeny that the plateau was not suitable for gliders to land but he would not listen.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny led yet another dareing mission on May 25 1944. It was to capture Yugoslav partisan leader Tito. The Mission cost 213 Germans killed 881 and 51 were missing. However this was small compared to partisan losses numbering about 6000 died! But Tito sleped away just a few minutes before Otto Skorzeny reached the cave were he set up his HQ.
...in other words: 213 German killed, 881 wounded and 51 missing. They lost 1145 men in an operation that was a complete failure. 6000 partisan casualties, if that is indeed an accurate figure, cannot hide that fact. The mission was to catch Tito but all they caught was one of his tunics, left in one of the houses of the deserted village.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:After the assassianation attempt on Hitler Skorzeny played a major role in restoring order among the OKW and OKH and spent 36 in TOTAL command of the mightly Wehrmacht!
...interesting - if true - but not part of his commando achievements.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:As the war drew to a end Adolf Hitler called apon Otto Skorzeny for a final time. With a Mission to led a team of english speaking Germans into Allied held areas and create havoc during the famous battle of the bulge. These troops worked wonders one team took and acted as MPs guarding a bridge.
...which bridge was this and what use was it for the Germans? Skorzeny had brought 9 sabotage groups (4 men each) across the front line. Two of them were taken prisoner at once, two more, according to Skorzeny, told fairy tales about their deeds after return, and 5 groups, in Skorzeny’s opinion, caused some damage to the American troops. This damage, as he proudly recalls, consisted in cutting two telephone cables, removing a few road pointers and exploding an ammunition depot.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Some the soldiers were caught and when asked what their mission was, they said that Otto Skorzeny was leding a commando raid in Paris to kill Eisenhower this was a lie but allied soldiers believe it. and for weeks Eisenhower did not dare leave his quarters which had now been turned into a super fortress.
...and what use was that to the Germans? Did it keep Eisenhower from directing his troops and from winning the battle?
BTW, why did you leave out the failure of moving his Panzers into American held territory and the complete failure of his attack on Malmédy on December 21st? On December 28th Skorzeny’s panzer brigade was sent to the rear for rest.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny spent the last few days of the war as a acting Major General. Commanding armies in Prussia and Pomerania.
Armies? Which armies did he command? On January 10th, 1945 Skorzeny’s brigade was disbanded. However, the SS battalion "Mitte", the SS paratrooper battalion and the company-sized "Nordwest" battalion remained under his command.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:He was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves a great German military award.
...yes, but for what?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:Otto Skorzeny was one of Das Reichs greatest heroes... In my eye's awarding him the Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves Swords and Demands would be a must if I was Hitler.
LOL

Im just going off what the websites say.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

I don't want websites (btw, just one of the links actually works) I am interested in the facts behind the myths created by Skorzeny himself. The post-war fame of Skorzeny mainly proves that he did a splendid job changing history in his favour. I would really appreciate it if you could provide facts instead of fiction.
Former member
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Timo wrote:I don't want websites (btw, just one of the links actually works) I am interested in the facts behind the myths created by Skorzeny himself. The post-war fame of Skorzeny mainly proves that he did a splendid job changing history in his favour. I would really appreciate it if you could provide facts instead of fiction.
Well about how you said i assumed Otto Skorzeny was best maybe im wrong, The US/Canadian "Devils brigade" awesome. Some of those Marine Force Raiders pulled off some sweet stuff. And the American 82nd and 101st airborn divisions did some great things.

Yes technically you are right LAH was not a offical panzer division until 1943. It's like the Green Berets are the only special forces within the US military, the rest (like Rangers, Navy SEALS, Delta Force, Marine Force Recon) are all labled "special oprations". Its a common mistake like that.

Ok so maybe you know more about Otto Skorzeny than I do. If so can you point me to any books were I can find out more about him.

You told me to ask quistions and I have alot for you :).

How many Italian partisans were holding Mussolini?

Can you provide me with names of other great ww2 soldiers. (In the great war i read about alvin york who killed 22 germans and captured over 130 almost single handly).

Otto Skorzeny im told like to use a captured Sten, is this right?

and also you really exposed alot of things to me. Maybe he wasn't the greatest commando who ever lived, he indeed had his shortcomings but he did some amazing stuff.

btw can you point me toward good reading on Otto Skorzeny. Any book titles to look for?
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

I am certainly no Skorzeny expert but his career has been discussed quite often on Feldgrau and the AHF (were a "Skorzeny" veteran recently joined the forum). Some hints and tips regarding your questions:

- use the search function on both forums for keyword "Skorzeny" and you'll find interesting discussions about him,
- Do forum and google searches on the Brandenburger Division for more German commando and special operations,
- dito for the Spercial Air Service for Britain
- Many, many, many soldiers in WW2 from both sides were exeptional soldiers. For Germans, have a look at the careers of Matthias Hetzenauer, Kurt Meyer, Jochen Peiper, Dr. karl Mauss, Kurt Knispel, Ernst Barkmann, Michael Wittmann, Friedrich-August Freiherr von der Heydte, and more and more. The list is endless and many are anonymous to date.

Hope this helps,
Timo
Former member
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

The best story I ever read about Skorzeny (forget the book and cannot verify) had him going to Argentina to steal back some nazi gold confiscated by Evita. Had his way with Evita and got the gold too! :D

I've always figured that to be one of those stories that if it ain't true - well it oughta be!

cheers
Reb
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Did Otto Skorzeny ever marry?
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I believe so - I remember seeing him give away his daughter in marriage on TV back in the sixties (as I recall). It was in spain and he caused rather a bit of controversy by appearing in a white dress SS jacket!

cheers
Reb
Holmer
Supporter

Post by Holmer »

Reb wrote: he caused rather a bit of controversy by appearing in a white dress SS jacket!
Now that is extremely interesting. I wonder if there are any documented photos of him wearing the jacket?
Regards,

Holmer :D
We are born to die.
HSSPF
Supporter

Post by HSSPF »

Timo wrote:I am certainly no Skorzeny expert but his career has been discussed quite often on Feldgrau and the AHF (were a "Skorzeny" veteran recently joined the forum). Some hints and tips regarding your questions:

- use the search function on both forums for keyword "Skorzeny" and you'll find interesting discussions about him,
- Do forum and google searches on the Brandenburger Division for more German commando and special operations,
- dito for the Spercial Air Service for Britain
- Many, many, many soldiers in WW2 from both sides were exeptional soldiers. For Germans, have a look at the careers of Matthias Hetzenauer, Kurt Meyer, Jochen Peiper, Dr. karl Mauss, Kurt Knispel, Ernst Barkmann, Michael Wittmann, Friedrich-August Freiherr von der Heydte, and more and more. The list is endless and many are anonymous to date.

Hope this helps,
Timo

You forgot John Moore's CD in your possession.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Kamen Nevenkin wrote:
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: A pro German goverment was then installed

It was pro Nazi goverment, not pro German...
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: and fought along side Germany until the pretty much the end.
From Austria, in order to be closer to the frontline...
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote: Otto Skorzeny was one of Das Reichs greatest heroes...
Otto Skorzeny was a fanatical, die hard nazi and admirer of the Grofaz (Hitler)
http://auschwitz.dk/skorzeny.htm
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:if I was Hitler.
No comment...
the music keeps playing the "Jaws" them song
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

A new book on Skorzeny coming out next year by one of my friends will shed light on the myths and facts.