Knight's Cross Holder

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Pionier37

Knight's Cross Holder

Post by Pionier37 »

Hello,

My family and I recently discovered (thanks to this website) that among the medals he earned during the war as an officer in the Poiniere, (combat engineers) my grandfather Dirk Hoefer was a recipient of the Knight's Cross effective 4/14/45. His listed rank for the award is "Hauptmann," but I know that he ended the war officially as a Major. Possibly the promotion was related?

He passed away from Lymphoma in 1995, but I was very close with him and fortunately my love of history was such that I exhausted him with my constant badgering to tell me about his service years.

However, he never mentioned earning this high honor, and I suspect he never actually knew he had been recommended for it because he was captured by US forces in the Darmstadt area in early April, who had crossed the Rhine in his sector.

The story of his capture is a miracle in and of itself, in that he was traveling in a Kuebelwagen with his adjutant seeking to scrounge what reinforcements they could from a forward command post, when on the road ahead they heard the sounds of Panzers. Not knowing the Americans had already crossed the Rhine, they assumed the tanks must be German.

Rounding the bend, a lead Sherman opened up on the German vehicle, instantly killing the adjutant, destroying the vehicle, and wounding my grandfather who had at the last second leapt for his life onto the ground.

But I digress from my original question: What records if any, exist to this day which would allow me to shed some light on why and by whom my grandfather was recommended for the Knight's Cross? I'm sure many records were destroyed, or not even properly documented given the critical military situation at the time.

Any light on this would be greatly appreciated!

Eckhart B.
"Unzaehlige Graeber an allen Fronten--Mahnmale fuer uns alle." --Oberst Horst Scheibert
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Fascinating story, Eckhart, of your grandfather Dirk Hoefer. Sorry I am unable to help you in your quest to uncover more wartime information on the man. Not meaning to pry, but, simply asking out of genuine interest and admiration for your forebear, can you offer any additional details such as his date of birth, city of birth, general pre- and post-war information, etc? It would be a real treat if you were able to post a photograph of Dirk, should you have one, wartime or not. Best of luck in your search, E.

"Nur ist verloren, fur wen sich selbst auf verloren gibt!"--Oberst Hans Ulrich Rudel.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

If anyone has any of the various volumes in Ritterkreuzträger, that could be a start?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

He was recommended...

Hauptmann
Höfer, Dirk

Ritterkreuz am: 14.04.1945
als: Hauptmann
Funktion: Kommandeur PiBtl 256

source: http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de
Former member
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Eckhart, I suggest writing to Bundesarchiv in Germany. There you should be able to find some documents, in example the award recommendation.

Best regards/ Daniel