Guns in the U.S.

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Reb,

You SMOKED Rhodesian ciggies? Brave man. I am a non-smoker, but I was told that they were awful by the late 1970s. Apparently the best tobacco was exported in order to get foreign currency for the war. Also in order to conserve foreign currency, no plastic wrapping was imported, so Rhodesian cigarettes reportedly lost their moisture and dried out out very quickly. Is this the case to your recollection?

I agree on the censorship issue and would not advocate a ban on the depiction of violence per se. However, the over representation of violence (or anything else) by the media can distort perceptions and make a public believe that something is worse than it is or, worse still, that it is a normal and supportable condition.

Cheers,

Sid.

P.S. Did you ever try African opaque beer like Chibuku? After the war one of my responsibilities was overseeing the Beerhall on Mangula Mine. As an act of good will and of leadership by example, I used to taste each new delivery. It is for that act of persistent raw courage that I feel I earned my Zimbabwe Independence Medal! Indeed, I should have been awarded a Bar to it every time I repeated the deed.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Sid

Rodie cigs were great - air cured instead of sugar cured hence no carcinagins - tasted great and Madison 30 packs fit nicely into the leg pocket of uniform trousers (No. 4s).

I smelled chibuku - could never get past the smell. Gaaah...
Beer should not look like that either - talk about cultural differences. you truly should get an award for going through that!

And there was a hard liquor the Africans drank that smelled like
chickenshit - I had a nice Chinese water bottle I wanted to keep as a souvineer but couldn't get that stink out of it so I traded it to some reporter who wanted to be salty without eating any spicy food...

Ghastly stuff and I'm not that choosey - I did drink my share of Cane :D
I drew the line at that horrible blend young Rodies liked - that green
cream soda mixed with various of the petrol flavored liquors available.
but even the brandy was so bad I mixed it with coke - seemed like blasphemy but I kept expecting to find red dye in it like they put in Army petrol... 8)

cheers
Reb
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Reb,

The illicitly brewed African spirit was called something like "cachasu". It was made from mealies. I think the Brazilian word for such maize spirit is very similar, so I suspect it was brought to Moczambigue by the Portuguese when they first introduced maize from the Americas. (Another Portuguese word used by African nationalists in the 1970s was "Povo", meaning "People". I guess Frelimo taught ZANLA that one.) The brewing of "Cachasu" was traditionally reserved to old women without other means of support.

Cheers,

Sid.
marius

Post by marius »

Yiha

Y`know, i just have to say that i am very happy to live in a tranquil country as far as guns go. I mean, the Police officers over here arent allowed to carry one!
Maybe its our mellow nature, but guns has not ever been that big a deal in our culture. I`ve actually fired one once (gasp) and i found it very unpleasant. So there. But does that make me/us cowards? During WW2 norwegian resistance against the initial german assault was, as we say, just about as useful as pissing in the North Sea to make it lukewarm, but as the war progressed MilOrg (the militia) grew in strength and increasingly soured the conditions of the occupants.

We have a social democracy. That means that there many political parties that make up our government. So I don`t have to worry about the possibility of a strong political group suddenly taking power since we all support our different parties and they have to work together to make the wheels go around. It is sometimes slow, yes, boring (no 100000000 billion election campaign/rock`n`roll tours and sleaze throwing between candidates to entertain us here, bro) but it is very stable and, shall we say, userfriendly? lol

Even if someone in the govt. should go for a coup d`etat, the only weapons they would have had access to would be their suits and letteropeners because our army (called Forsvaret: "The Defence") answers to our King (who has no real power, except in war-time situations and so forth. But his cultural value and position as national icon and focal point is invaluable!! :D ) and his people.

Can u pistoleros even imagine how nice it is to not have all this (seemingly) tension all the time? From the government, from "them" (whoever "they" may be), from armed muggers, gangs etc. ?
I can only speak for the culture i know, and i also fully realize the fact that i would never fully understand U.S conditions since i dont live there 8)

but picture this: I am on a holiday in the U.S of A, (Tourism is a good thing yes? Pleasure for me, money for you... :wink: )
I rent a car and go for a spin out on the countryside. Suddenly, somethings wrong (sic) with the car and it stops dead. It`s late in the evening and i don`t know where the hell i am or what to do. A couple of meters down the road there is a house. Now, can i risk walking up to it to ask for help with my foreign accent or will this most likely result in someone busting a cap in my ass?

Hope y`all take this question with good humour, coz we`re all friends in here right? But do you understand why someone like me, where i`m coming from, would ask such a question? :D

Double cheers to all
Pax Aeterna ACDC
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Marius

One of our TV networks does some hilarious commericals where it shows situations like you fear - and then: "We interupt this Southern stereotype to show you how it really is!"

If you come to our house with a broken down car (and even a foreign accent eh?) you're apt to get more than a phone call...pause for sinister music. You'll probably get invited to dinner while we get your car sorted out! :D

Yeah - we have guns. But outside of some gangster types in the inner cities we don't shoot 'em much. And we keep them locked up and away from the kids. Out in the country (where I live) we might keep a gun handy for snakes or varmints.

I do know a shooting range in Los Angeles that has a movie special for foriegn tourists - you can shoot Dirty Harry's big pistol and all the other famous guns from movies.

One more thing about Americans - we come in a lot of flavors - big place. West Coast alone is two or three complete cultures living side by side.
The South is its own place as is the North East. Texas? Well its big as all outdoors and hot as hell. But I've been all over it (minus Alaska) and can say I've been treated well were ever I went. I think you will be too.
OberleutenantAG
Supporter

Post by OberleutenantAG »

Marius,

You need to get out and shoot some more. Once you get used to it, it can be a lot of fun. I love going to the range and blowing through a magazine or seven. Only paper targets though.

As some smart aleck said a couple years ago "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." This is true if you think about it. Some people want to ban all weapons here in the US, but that is backwards thinking. Would you ban all types of knives just because people are killed with one? Probably not. How about baseball bats?

Also, people are taking gun makers to court over here to sue them for making the gun that killed their family member. Again, blame the manufacturer not the person that killed them. Sounds backwards, huh?
What do you think? What is your homicide rate over there? If you don't have guns...it should be really low.

You can come over anytime and have dinner with me and my family. We won't shoot you, I promise. he he

^
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Reb,

For a southern boy even the new yorker accent is foreign :wink:

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Imagine my surprise when i opened my morning paper and see where the
UK is going to ban toy pistols,i thought they had thier crime rate under
contol when they banned hand guns.The piece also that thier crime rate is
growing by leaps and bounds,it is twice the US violent crime rate,i also
hear Austrialia's rate is going up.We have our gang bangers with thier drive by shootings,but that is usually in states with strict gun contoll laws.
We don't see to much of it in the South.We have more violent criminals in
prison than most countries,to be fair about 33% of the offenders are illegals or people who just came here. The old law of survival"Shoot first
and ask questions after"
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Rodger

Ban toy pistols? What a bunch of miserable pansies! When I was a kid the word would go out that somebody was putting together a 'game o' guns' and we'd all strap on a pistol and grab a rifle, jump on our bikes and go join a team. We were into gory 'drops' as we called our actions upon getting killed. Blood curdling screams and various gyrations increased if neighborhood girls were watching.

Then would come the fights - "you missed!" "The heck I did - nobody could miss at that range!" "I ducked" "Not in Time - you're dead as a mackeral!" etc

Once I got a well deserved whuppin' for shooting my squirt Thompson at passing cars.

By the time I was twelve I was taking my .22 out to the quarry by myself or with friends. Hiking and shooting - how uncivilized! (no one would have dreamed of shooting at another person with a real gun)

Maybe the world will be better if we insist that boys play with dolls and avoid strenuous activity like 'games o' guns' and dodge ball. We can have anger management classes instead of fist fights and sensitivity sessions for all.

And we can send the resultant sissies off to Iraq to hit terrorists with their hankies. Then who will defend the girly men who come up with this nonsense? Logic? We don't need no stinkin' logic...

It really sounds like the maniacs have siezed control of the asylum - Britain is begining to be like Massachusettes and New York - where as you noted lots of gun related crime can found since criminals - even though they are typically of the lower classes and poorly educated - are at least smarter than politicians and prefer unarmed prey.

Don't mind me - I watched "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" last night and it makes me feel froggier than usual - which is sayin' something.

cheers
Reb
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Hell Reb,if you didn't start off with a .22,you had a BB gun,remember the
Daisys.
I think most Europeans watch shows like Cops or LAPD and think the US is
one constant big time gun battle.
I have a lot of respect for the British Armed Forces,they're some of the best.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Rodger

My grandpa made sure I had a great BB gun - a gas powered thingy - but I was into .22s pretty early!

I agree with you (based upon what I've seen) that the Brits have a first rate military - how long they can keep it up is anybody's guess. Fortunately there always seem to be men coming up despite the worst efforts of the cultural marxists to do away with us.

And yeah - battleground USA eh? I used to like Miami Vice but always had to laugh at the body count - Sonny Crockett killed more men than Davy! :D

cheers
Reb
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Reb,

But Sonny didn't kill a bear with his hands. Davy did it. About the body count do you know its Murphy's law : 2 men armed, two dogs, one cow and one donkey make 37 enemy guerilleros shot down :wink:
So you have a .22, "Lopette" :D

So long.
Last edited by Dackel Staffel on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Ah Dackel - the memories

I went off to school at age six with a Davy Crocket lunchbox with a picture of Fess Parker on it - from the Disney series. My first toy soldier set was a Lewis B. Marx Alamo Playset - how I loved it! Davy was always the guy swinging a rifle butt and was guaranteed to kill four or five mexicans in every battle!

I've got the right wife too - she admits to having a crush on Fess Parker when she was a kid!

Davy was a hero to me then and still is. The recent "Alamo" movie with Billy bob Thornton had its flaws but billy bob now owns the role - I was cheering when Davy jumped up on the wall and played an jazzy fiddle part against the Mexican bugler doing the Dequello (and getting some weird looks from the other movie goers!). :D

"Be sure you're right - then go ahead!"
Reb
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Reb,

Maybe Davy is your hero but he didn't go to combat with a 22. Be a man ,use real guns like the colt 45 or the IMI Eagle. For the rifle, everything can firing a 456 Weatherby bullet. Even Trinity has bigger than you. :wink:

So long.
marius

Post by marius »

thx for the invitation guys, I kinda knew i was going to be served a friendly dinner coz thats what i would do in that situation but i just had to ask to be sure.

Strange coincidence: A rather shocking event occurred in Oslo city yesterday, and its all over the news: Some 40 year old Somalian refugee suddenly went wacko with a large bowieknife inside a citytram slashing up innocent people without any warning, killing a 23 year old male (thats my age) and wounding 12 others, 2 of them critically. This is a highly unusual incident for us. The guy is still at large somewhere and is being searched for by large policeforces.
Most likely, this is a individual suffering some horrific trauma from the war and seemingly snapped.

This made me think: What if Norwegian gun restrictions wasnt so tight, then at least some of the commuters would have pulled out a gun and stopped the man cold before he could slash up all those people. I guess they would have to shoot him, because he was reported to behaving quite insane

Then again i thought: If restrictions/regulations wasnt that tight, then there would have been a much larger possibility that the perpetrator himself would have pulled out a gun and not a knife. Then one could argue that the casualties would be much more severe. Especially with a scenario were armed commuters would be involved in a "firefight" with the man.

What do you guys think?

cheers
Pax Aeterna ACDC