Induction and Basic Training

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

Not nit-picking just correcting, but above it was stated that December 6 1943 to February 3 1944 was three months. This is actually a little under TWO months. You would count it like this: 6 December to 6 January= first Month, 6 January to 6 February = second month. So, when Christoph stated that four weeks of Basic Training then four weeks of unit and weapon training, he was pretty accurate. I Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

The duration of the training for personnel in the German army varied.

Infantry soldiers received 16 weeks of basic training in 1938, this was cut down to 8 weeks in 1940. In 1943 it was expanded again to 16 weeks. In 1944 it was 12 to 14 weeks.

Armored personnel received 21 weeks of training during the whole war, albeit from 1944 sometimes armored personnel was used in combat operations after only 16 weeks if the overall war situation demanded it.

Source: various Volumes of "Ausbildungsvorschrift für die Infanterie" and "Ausbildungsvorschrift für die Panzertruppen".
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hi Kitsune could you please give me one number of a manual (A.V.für die Infanterie) where you found information about the length of the training? I wonder why I overlooked that in the last years reading them.

\Christoph
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

One? "Ausbildungsvorschrift für die Infanterie" Ausgabe 1E frome June 21st 1940.
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
Joe Cleere

training

Post by Joe Cleere »

Kitsune's numbers seem about right. The sixteen week training period was common from 1933-1940, except for reservists of the years 1901 to 1913, who were given a special eight weeks short course.

Also, German recruits had already spent at least six months in the RAD (Reichsarbeitdienst), a paramilitary labor organization where they learned basic military discipline and drilled with shovels, before they were inducted into the Wehrmacht. Does anybody know how long this was standard practice?
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Don´t forget the time they spent in the Hitlerjugend which also taught them a lot about military basics.
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Peter H.

Age limits?

Post by Peter H. »

To Helmut's questions at the beginning of this thread, I'd like to add another:

-at what age were Germans called up? I'm thinking specifically of the period 1939-1941

-how long was the period of service? I imagine it changed over the years 1933-1945

-could you join up voluntarily, before your call-up papers arrived?

-how much choice did you have in regard to whether you joined the army, navy or air force?
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Well, Anweder might know it better (honestly!)

but here´s what I know:

Of course people could (and did!) join the German armed forces voluntarily,

I guess that before the war started and maybe in the early war-years people were drafted with the age of 18,

and as much as I know VOLUNTEERS had a choice about the service he wanted to join - but that could be changed if he wouldn´t fit the needs (read Guy Sajer´s "Denn dieser Tage Qual war groß". He wanted to become a pilot but ended up as a grunt.....)
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Helmut wrote: Was basic training conducted at a "training center" or at the unit. What is the role of the Feldersatz Battalion and the Ausbildung und Ersatz Battalion? Are these the same thing?

Servus,
Does anyone have the answer to my questions about the FEB and the
AuE bn?

Thanks,
Helmut
Joe Cleere

Post by Joe Cleere »

I don't think they were the same. The Feldersatz battalion took in replacements assigned to a division after they were trained in an Ausbildung und Ersatz Battalion in the appropriate Wehrkreis (military district) or replacement and training division. The divisional Feldersatz battalion had the mission of taking newly trained replacements and aquainting them with the division and getting them ready for assignment to a front line combat unit.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I got the impression that early in the war, each Division (or even regiment) had their own A u E Bn. So it appears that the unit had a "depot" element that was dedicated to trrianing the replacements from day one. Can anyone verify or refute this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Helmut
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

A quote from the Stroop Report dealing with the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto is interesting. 3-4 weeks of training.

"Considering that the greater part of the men of the Waffen-SS had only been trained for three to four weeks before being assigned to this action, high credit should be given for the pluck, courage, and devotion to duty which they showed. It must be stated that the Wehrmacht Engineers, too, executed the blowing up of dug-outs, sewers, and concrete buildings with indefatigability and great devotion to duty. Officers and men of the Police, a large part of whom had already been at the front, again excelled by their dashing spirit."
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

great devotion to duty
quite a common description of the W-SS don't you agree?
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I assume that German recruits were trained at the various TRUPPENUEBUNGSPLAETZE, True or not? Were there were there training centers located in each of the Wehrkreisse?

Thanks in advance

Helmut
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Helmut wrote:Servus,
I assume that German recruits were trained at the various TRUPPENUEBUNGSPLAETZE, True or not? Were there were there training centers located in each of the Wehrkreisse?

Thanks in advance

Helmut
The recruits were trained within and outside their barracks. There was not a Truppenübungsplatz near every barrack. These Tüpls were large areas for large formation manouvers, battle practices etc...etc.
The daily recruit training was done on the square in front of the company quarter, in the wood next to the complex, the obstacle course in the barracks area etc....
Of course also behind the front when the unit was resting or in the divisional Feldersatz-Battalion.

\christoph