When Trumpets Fade

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Lipton

When Trumpets Fade

Post by Lipton »

What are your thoughts of this movie guys? I think it was perfect, although I was missing scenes of the hopeless attacks on German entrechments and bunkers, which were typical for the tragic battle of Huertgenwald. And it's one of the very few Hollywood movies that did good in portraying the German side.
Last edited by Lipton on Sat May 29, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2311Marine
Supporter

Post by 2311Marine »

I thought it was ok too. I own it but the two commando raids was a little much to swallow. I thought they did a decent job at trying to recreate Mk IV's.

Cheers
"Devildogs and Leathernecks, Thank God for Ammo Techs!"
Lipton

Post by Lipton »

2311Marine wrote:I thought they did a decent job at trying to recreate Mk IV's.
Well, I´m one of the few people who thinks they didn´t. I know it was not easy, because of the low budget, but these tanks looked like my granpa´s tractors. But I think that the shelling scenes were done pretty good.
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

A better "B movie" in my opinion. The tanks were fake, the Achtacht were fake, the trucks were fake (and carrying Balkenkreuze), and the uniforms were far from convincing (with that scarfaced German squad leader carrying the shoulder straps of a Bundeswehr Oberleutnant, as it seems). Also, there were some funny tactics used by the Germans: an unsupported Flak battery used far in front of the own trenchline in a direct fire role and a dug-in Panzer platoon used as stationary artillery in midst of a dense forest. Also, where were the American tanks, planes and artillery? Once again, you got the impression that the Wehrmacht was far superior to the US Army in numbers of weapons and personnel. Also, the GIs accomplished some very heroic and improbable feats: five men destroy the Flak battery and four men destroy the Panzer platoon. On the other side, there was some anachronistic talk about the dangers of smoking. So, what was good about this movie? I think it is the gloomy athmosphere of the film, caused by the realistic portrayal of a static warfare of attrition in the midst of an unfavorable environment, the disillusion and fatalism of the main characters, the cynical heartlessness and incompetence of the commanding officers and the helplessness of the greenhorn recruits who are sacrificed for nothing at all. There may be heroic deeds in this movie, but there are no heroes of the "Private Ryan" style.
Lipton

Post by Lipton »

Stefan, I think that an unprotected German artillery battery in Huertgenwald was nothing exceptional.
28. Infantry Division couldn´t use any tanks and other motorized equipment as well, because of the Kall river bridge that was unpassable for them.
Air force wasn´t supporting the ground units, because of the dense forest in which it was hard to locate exact targets for it.
Last edited by Lipton on Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

I'm new, so I hope you folks don't mind me butting-in on this one. I saw "Trumpets" last night, perhaps for the seventh or eighth time in three years, though I don't own it. I doubt I'll buy it, though I enjoy it to a degree. I think Stephan is right on target: there were boo-boos on the German uniforms; the dug-in Panzer platoon used as stationary artillery was difficult for me to understand; and no one--armed or otherwise--rode 'shotgun' on those German ammo-bearing trucks. Surely the Germans would not have risked precious ammo like that at that stage--or perhaps any stage--of the war. However, the 'gloomy atmosphere' of the film did indeed make viewing it well worthwhile, and seemingly 'authentic.' The cold, impassive anger on the faces of the men of the German patrol sent chills down my spine. Those men were obviously famished, bone-weary and cold, extremely frustrated and intensely desperate. I doubt that GI prisoner made it back to intelligence without a bullet in his neck. Heaven help the guy if he didn't have those 'zigaretten' on him. The film did make me wonder, novice at this sort of thing that I am: What type of field rations did the Germans carry and consume? Bill Mauldin of "Willie and Joe" fame once wrote that American troops, with their ubiquitous K-Rations, dined on tasteless food steeped in high vitamin content, while the Germans bore delicacies like kraut, blackbread, cheese, etc ('little nutriotional value to these rations,' Mauldin wrote.) Frankly, I'll take a couple of bottles of Weihenstephaner--or a good Schnapps ration--and an aromatic chunk of cheese over K-Rats, anyday, despite what Mauldin said....

Prosit!! Gut appetit!
the.warlord1944
Supporter

Post by the.warlord1944 »

I`ve seen the movie two times but i can`t say it is a great movie.
Not enough Germans to be seen just a 88mm flak and a fake tank platoon.

Yes it`s true a bunderwehrshoulderboard on a winterjacket.........damn.
That was sad to see....

I like to see a movie about the victories of the germans in searly warstages.
gavmeister13
Contributor

Post by gavmeister13 »

i hated the film...i didnt care for any of the characters and thought it was pants...i DID like the flamethrower part though 8)
Geniesset den Krieg, der Frieden wird furchtbar sein
Hawk
Supporter

Post by Hawk »

So, what was good about this movie? I think it is the gloomy athmosphere of the film, caused by the realistic portrayal of a static warfare of attrition in the midst of an unfavorable environment, the disillusion and fatalism of the main characters, the cynical heartlessness and incompetence of the commanding officers and the helplessness of the greenhorn recruits who are sacrificed for nothing at all.
A good way to sum up the movie. Althoug, most of the the time one can watch the movie without going into the details, accuracy, german combat doctrine, strategy, and tactics associated with the particular combatants involved ant the time frame, it nevertheless has is a Hollywood movie which requires that the heroes acomplish their goal regardeless of the opposition.

If you want to know about the events and aftermath of the battle go to,

http://www.bayerworld.com/files/huertgen.pdf
Lipton

Post by Lipton »

Has anyone noticed the 116. Panzer Division badge on one of the truck's door?
I agree with Uli that the German soldiers were portrayed very realistically - exhausted, hungry and dirty.