need experts in this case!!!

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tito

need experts in this case!!!

Post by Tito »

hello everybody!
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2136/f4.gif

can anybody help to identify this uniform? this is an austrian (brother of my Grandfather)officer who served in the 111 Gebirgsartillerieregiment.

i don`t know when that picture was taken so its hard to say if his rank is reflekted on this photo. Hes was most likely a Leutnant at last.

Maybe an austrian uniform with Reichsadler but i don`t know really.

greetings
tirola
Supporter

Post by tirola »

Yes DEFINITLY an Austrian uniform. I'm not sure if those are officer's stars, but if so it IS Oberleutnant.

VERY intresting pic. My guess it was taken between the Anschluß and the outbreak of the war. (1938/39)
Tito

Post by Tito »

thanks for your fast reply!

as mentioned before i cant really say when the photo was taken but your guess is possible! ....and if i think about it its maybe the most likely case and best answer.
but anyway i am still not sure about those "officer`s stars". couse i cant say if he was a Oberleutnant at that time. At the end of the war yes, but thats a bit too early for that rank i think.

best regards
Tito

Post by Tito »

an other thought: is it possible that this stars mark a oberfeldwebel or stabsfeldwebel. couse this would explain some things. Oberleutnant is too high i believe.
tirola
Supporter

Post by tirola »

After a close look at the uniform and the stars, from what I can tell I think you are right, that he might be only a Korporal which translates to a Obergefreiter.

The stars as well as the uniform looks a bit plain. And he can't be a NCO because of the lack of tresse on the rank bage.

The Austrian 1933-1938 rank insiginias were similar to WW1 Austrian which can be seen here:

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ ... badges.htm

I hope that helps, I'm no expert on interwar Austrian uniforms though. ;)