Anyone help with a clause?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

Anyone help with a clause?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi guys. Back again with another plea for help.

Gewissermaßen um die Wette mit dem Feinde stoßen wir vor, dessen Masse westlich von uns ebenfalls nach Norden drängt, um über die Bzura hinweg hart an der Weichsel entlang durchzukommen, ehe wir und die auf dem anderen Bzuraufer angreifende Schwesterdivision diese letzte Lücke verschlossen haben

I've got most of it, apart from the clause about the Bzura and the Vistula!

To some extent we're in a race with the enemy - the bulk of his forces to our west pushes us northwards - ....
before we and our sister division attacking on the other bank of the Bzura seal this final gap.

It's from page 67 of Kielmannsegg, Johannes Graf von, Panzer zwischen Warschau und Atlantik, 1941. Generally speaking, very easy to translate and a good read. I'm translating virtually the whole book. :shock: Very time consuming. :(

Thanks in advance as usual.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
medic

Post by medic »

"In a way we are advancing in competition with the enemy, the bulk of whose forces are also pushing northwards west of us to cross the Bzura and push forward along the Weichsel, before we and our sister division, which is attacking from the other shore of the Bzura, have closed this last gap."

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of the book. Hope you have on hand a copy of the "Militaerisches Studienglossar" Deutsch-English. Very, very useful book when translating military texts into English.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

medic wrote:Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of the book. Hope you have on hand a copy of the "Militaerisches Studienglossar" Deutsch-English. Very, very useful book when translating military texts into English.
Thanks. Sadly, I do not have that dictionary/glossary, but I do have sufficient divisional histories and such like to help me/ Fortunately I work for the Royal Navy so I'm used to infuriating military speak. :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
medic

Post by medic »

If you ever get a chance to get a hold of it, it's a very useful book. I've had my copy for quite some time and it's come in very handy with some words I didn't know the translation for in the past.