Looking for a game ...

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Paul_PJ

Looking for a game ...

Post by Paul_PJ »

I am looking for a game regarding East Front which has palyability and thrill of Close Combat series but strategic ability as well.

Close Combat 3 is of course about east front. But there is no strategic choice since the battles are on pre-set maps.

Any suggestions?
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hello!

Post by Jason Petho »

Talonsoft's East Front 2 is the best one out there, IMHO - if you don't mind turn/ hex based games. :D

If you would like to know all about it, feel free to email me.

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

You could also try the Panzer Campaign Series. These games and operational level game at a grand tactical scale. You usually command a few armies with units down to company level. East front games so far included Smolensk 41, Karkov 42, and Korsun 44. There also are three West Front games on Normandy, Bulge and Tobruk 41.

You can get more info at
http://209.216.35.193/index.htm

Or PM me for more info

Michael Avanzini
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hey Michael!!

Post by Jason Petho »

Hey Michael!!

Long time no talk..

How are you doing?

Hope all is well

Takecare and good luck
Jason Petho
Paul_PJ

Post by Paul_PJ »

I have EF (i.e. EF-1 we should say) and WF both. I heard that EF-2 is gold edition of EF-1.

My problem Jason is :

EF is quite illogical ... computer is easy to beat. Of course I have never played it against a human opponent where the actual fun would be.

I think I will get EF-2 so that possibly I can play by e-mail with guys in here or on other websites.
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hi Paul!

Post by Jason Petho »

East Front 2 is a whole "new" version of the game... and a welcomed upgrade. The AI is harder to beat... especially if one plays with Extreme Fog of War with all options. :wink:

Regarding human play. You're missing out!!! I highly recommend it. If you wish I'll play a game with you of West Front to help you see what challenges you are missing out on. Great fun indeed!!! :D

If you're interested, drop me a line...

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Nate
Supporter

EF 2 and West Front question for Jason

Post by Nate »

Jason,

I have been having problems with West Front and East Front, mainly video/graphics. Just got a brand new computer and am hoping that this will solve some of the problems. However, I have been hearing around that Talonsoft programs are known to have alot of cliches.

I love the Talonsoft games, just curious if you have ever run into any problems.

Thanks.

Nate
Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt !!
Paul_PJ

Re: Hi Paul!

Post by Paul_PJ »

Jason Petho wrote:East Front 2 is a whole "new" version of the game... and a welcomed upgrade. The AI is harder to beat... especially if one plays with Extreme Fog of War with all options. :wink:

Regarding human play. You're missing out!!! I highly recommend it. If you wish I'll play a game with you of West Front to help you see what challenges you are missing out on. Great fun indeed!!! :D

If you're interested, drop me a line...

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Jason ... not a bad idea. Of course I am not too sure about the time and also how to play the game.

Let me do some homework first and I will get back to you. I need to understand how PBEM works etc.
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hello Nate!

Post by Jason Petho »

Hello Nate!

"I have been having problems with West Front and East Front, mainly video/graphics. "

Can you be a little more specific... what kind of problems are you having?

Have you patched the games with the patches available from the Talonsoft website? If not, I can point you in the direction of where to get them...

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Jason Petho
Supporter

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Hello Paul!
Jason ... not a bad idea. Of course I am not too sure about the time and also how to play the game.

Let me do some homework first and I will get back to you. I need to understand how PBEM works etc
No problem! Whenever you are ready :D

Points to ponder

1. Time: for smaller complexity of the scenario, it takes usually around 10 minutes to play a turn - including watching the replay. (unless of course you like the larger complexity games - 8 to 10 - which can then take up to and over an hour to play)

2. How to play: If you are finding the AI easy to beat already I'm sure the learning curve of playing a human will be pretty easy for you.

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

Jason,

I always use the 3D pieces (the small vehicles looks much cooler!). The main problems have been as follows:

West Front, once I seem to have it loaded on the computer I cannot get it to run at all. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the CD. If you go into the C drive a file shows up under Talonsoft/West Front though. Really wierd! NO chance at loading the Battel Pack or Sea Lion.

East Front 2 was doing fine until I loaded the Fall of the Reich the movement of the pieces started sticking/stopping and starting in a real jerky fashion (not very technical description).

The video in the begining will not come up at all and all the pictures that accompany descriptions of equipment is gone.

The main problem is the jerkiness of the pieces when you move them.

I have not tried any of the patches, mainly because I was clueless on what the problem really is to find a fix.

Thanks for the assist!

Best,

Nate
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hello Nate!

Post by Jason Petho »

Couple of questions for you before we proceed to figure out what the problem is.

1. What are you running for hardware?

2. What are you using as an operating system? (Win98, ME, XP, etc)

3. Do you have more than one CD Drive?

Let me know!

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

Jason,

Sorry I did not get back sooner. I sent a reply this morning and just now saw that it did not take.

I originally was using Win 95, was doing fine for awhile. I tried a few other games and was having problems with a joystick. Was told I needed to upgrade to Win 98 or Millenium. Went with Millenium and the problem really got worse. Got rid of Millenium and had a friend load Win 98. Was able to play EF II, but the graphics were breaking up during play. WF would load to the computer, but not take when I tried to play the game.

I got rid of the old computer and just got a new Dell in a couple of days ago with Win XP. Have heard about Talonsoft having alot of problems due to not putting together solid software, so have been leary about loading on the new system.

I do have two CD drives in the new computer.

Hope this helps. Appreciate your time!

Best,

Nate
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

Hey Jason,

Well I attempted to load WF on my new Dell! NO GO! I am really frustrated with the whole computer industry. Part of the problem I admit is that I am not a computer expert. I may have gotten the NT version of Win XP, which I did not order, but did tell the salesperson I utilize at work. I did specifically state that I wanted to be able to play computer games. If I am not mistaken, Win NT does not support that type of software. Looks like I will be spending hours talking to answering machines. Once they have your money no one wants to talk to you anymore! ARGHHHH!

Nate
Paul_PJ

Post by Paul_PJ »

Nate ... In all lilkelihood it is Windows edition problem.

Windows 98 is the most stable system (and accepted by most games). Windows XP, NT, Millenium etc. all seem to be having problems.