10th SS Panzer Div "Frundsberg" veterans?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

matthew

10th SS Panzer Div "Frundsberg" veterans?

Post by matthew »

My father was a soldier in the SS-Art.Rgt.10 of the 10th SS Frundsberg Division from June of 1942 until captured by the Americans in 1945. He passed away when I was very young - so I know little about his German life. He immigrated to the states in the 50's. Slight chance - but I'm curious if others from this unit may monitor this board, or if others know where to find more info regarding this unit?

Thanks for any assistance.

Matt
bloodpet [GER]
Supporter

Post by bloodpet [GER] »

Fish
Contributor

Frundsberg

Post by Fish »

Matt, here are a couple of books which may help in finding out more info on Frundsberg and your father experiences during the war.

In the Firestorm of the Last Years of the War by Wilhelm Tieke ISBN 0-921991-43-6

Sons of the Reich by Michael Reynolds ISBN # 0-9711709-3-2

Hope this helps
Good luck
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
John W. Howard

10th SS PzD

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Matthew:
The following address may be of some help to you:

Karl Godau
Semmelweisring 16
D-38440 Wolfsburg
Deutschland

I have no idea if this is still a good address, but it is worth a try. I believe Herr Godau is the head of the Frundsberg veterans group. I would write to him, in German if at all possible, requesting information regarding your father. He may be able to help. Good luck and best wishes.
John W. Howard
rhaught

Post by rhaught »

That address is Germany didn't work for me and I know a 10th SS vet. The veteran's are very careful since most people still do not want to recognize them. If you go to a WWII reenactment you might meet veterans and get to know them who would send you in the right direction.
POWERFULL

Post by POWERFULL »

Matt, My Fatrher was also in the 10SS Panzer 21st Panzer Grenadiers. He is now nearly 82 and has been trying to contact other vets although with no luck.
How have you been getting on with you quest ?
Regards
Peter Gehrke
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

I would try this address:

Kameradschaftsvereinigung Suchdienst-Frundsberg e.V.
Kameradschaftsvereinigung Suchdienst-Frundsberg e.V.
1. Vorsitzender: Siegfried Römer
Geschäftsführer: Willi Weber
Postfach 410803
50868 Köln

Willi Weber is in contact with a number of veterans from the Frundsberg. In fact you can also buy copies of the Frundsberg newsletter that was published and printed during the war detailing the highs and lows of the division. A number of post war stories have been added to give the books a bit of substance.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
bulge

Frundsberg vet's

Post by bulge »

There are still quit a number of Frundsberg veterans arround, but because of the negative way they were treated as a Waffen-SS unit since the lat 60 years, they won't come out in open easily. I knew Godau very well, I thought he died in the meantime. Also the Kameradschaft of the Frundsberg was split, one sector was the Harmel Group, the other the Weber Group.

For my own research I visited in the early 90's some meetings of the Frundsberg for my books on Arnhem / Nijmegen. Euling was very helpfull with info, but you have to know one veterans at least who can speak out for you to the others. I would try Weber for sure.