Question about orginization

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Christoph K
Supporter

Question about orginization

Post by Christoph K »

I need some help about heer orginization. How would you write the 11th company in a regiment. Would it be XI/NaRgt 511 for example? or what. Also I would like to be shown how to write a company of a divsion in a Heeresgruppe all the way up to an Armee in a Heeresgruppe. Thanks for clearing this up!
Ye who dig's the pit!
Shall fall into it!
Christoph Awender
Patron

units

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello!

Basically all companies/batteries were written in arabic numbers 1 - 18, battalions/Abteilungen/ in roman numbers I - III

How they abbreviate it depends on the context it is written. In a unit diary you would certainly see just 11./125 which would mean 11.company of infantry regiment 125.
In more offical documents or books it would mostly be 11./Inf.Rgt.125, 11./I.R.125 or 11.Kp./I.R.125 etc..
The third battalion would be written like III./I.R.125 or just III./125.
As would be the third battery of artillery regiment 12: 3./A.R.12 or the second Abteilung artillery regiment 12: II./A.R.112

The divisions, Armeekorps, Armies and Heeresgruppen are not included in this way of abbreviating. They would be written seperately like 11./I.R.125 of 102.Inf.Div. of XXVI.Armeekorps, 4.Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
* Note the numbers and subordinations are not correct just examples out of my head.

hope this helps,
Christoph
chrisp

Company designation

Post by chrisp »

What would "(gp)" after a company number refer to?
Christoph Awender
Patron

gepanzert

Post by Christoph Awender »

would mean gepanzert - armoured

Christoph
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Thanks for the response.

Chrisp