do german veterans have a pension from goverment?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

ermane
Banned

do german veterans have a pension from goverment?

Post by ermane »

I am curious about that do german veterans take pension from government? or allies had prevent this?

if there is any what is the rate for privates and surgents
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Yes they do. But i don't know if everybody? Anyway may grandpa was in wehrmacht June/July 1941 - May 1945, wounded twice in January 1944 near Leningrad, and in January 1945 near Krakow. So i'm not sure that it's pension for duty or for wounds.
Bruno
Supporter

pensions

Post by Bruno »

In a nutshell all citizens qualify for the Invaliden Rente - OLd age pension (originally established by Bismark) since they all have to pay into the scheme. The Wehrmacht took deductions from your pay for this.
The pay-out depends on the years of contributions and which bureaucrat administers your case. If you were wounded (or injured at work for that matter) you will be accessed. Under 15% damage you will not receive any "rente" after 15% you receive partial disability pensions scaled to the amount of disability. Upon retirement you will recieve a pension based on what youve paid in,years of service, drew out, etc.
Last edited by Bruno on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Bruno,

Does this aply only to German citizens or can for instance anyone
whom served with the wehrmacht receive an small pension?

There are many young men who served from other countries
who would like to know I presume?

Annelie :D
Bruno
Supporter

pensions

Post by Bruno »

It is a very complicated thing, but I believe that if you pay in to the system you are eligible to receive benefits. This has been a source of major discussion and arguements since all the "Gastarbeiter" had to pay into the Health and welfare schemes, they then were eligible for benefits although they were not citizens. Because of this there was a large reform in the pension system (around 1970's?). Prior to that if you lived in the "Ausland" and gave up your German citizenship you were not eligible to receive a pension, but after the reform you could receive a pension at a reduced rate for living in a foreign country. Prior to that some Germans retained their citizenship just to be eligible, some even returned home. However I not certain whether the reduction is base solely on living on foreign soil or citizenship or both.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hi Bruno,

I was thinking of an friends Father whom like many others (from other
than Germany)
had to join the wehrmacht for the whole durations and
now lives in Canada but was told he is not eligable for any
pension.

I don't think that is fair however even in the states one must have
10 points before they are eligable to pensions. I suppose the systems
are much alike everywhere set up to pay only what they must.

By the time this is all sorted out the Veterans will not have any need
for money. :(

Annelie
Bruno
Supporter

Pensions

Post by Bruno »

(from other
than Germany)
had to join the wehrmacht for the whole durations and
now lives in Canada but was told he is not eligable for any
pension.

It was difficult enough for Germans to obtain their pension rights. Germany broke the contract with them, thats why so many moved to the Ausland. First you have to establish who you are with documents. Of course they were all destroyed during the war. Prove that you have paid into the system. Argue about the eligibilty of the pow time. Were you then a civilian or were you still on the Wehrmacht's payroll. Nobody wanted to acknowledge you.
You must also complete endless questioneers very carefully. The slightest error results in reduction of benefits or ineligibilty. I have heard of people spending over two years with the the PapierKrieg.
POW
Supporter

Post by POW »

Bruno,
you are wrong. The Wehrmtacht didn't pay any contrbutions to the pension fund like the Bundeswehr. I like to give 2 examples:
  • 1) A German laborer was drafted to the Wehrmacht, was a POW for some years and emigrated after the end of his captivity.
    2) A german student was drafted from school/unversity to the Wehrmacht, was a POW for some years and emigrated after the end of his captivity.
While soldier 1 will get a pension cause during his time as laborer he paid to the pension fund, soldier 2 will get nothing. He won't get a single Euro for risking his life for his fatherland and wasted his youth behind barbed wire. It's a shame but true.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

1. My grandpa has Polish citizienship since 1947 (he automaticly lost german passport). But he still got pension, coz he was wehrmacht soldier. Not as volunteer but simply from draft.
2. Pensions for slave workers are payed in Poland only once for each worker. For 1 880 000 slave workers and if they died for his succesors German goverment gives a one refundation which will be payed from 2002 to 2006. It's a agreement between German and Polish goverment made in 2001.
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

German Pension

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello all,
I was a member of the RAD and Wehrmacht from 10 December 1941 until 17 June 1945. I am not receiving any pension for the time served during this time. However, the RAD-Wehrmacht time is counted toward the mandatory 5 years of, what they call 'Zusatzzeit (additional time)' before one can claim a pension. In order to qualify for the 5 years, by attending highschool after becoming 17 years of age (for 5 months only) and after attending 3 semester of the Tech. Uni. of Munich, I qualified for the required 5 years. While waiting for permission to be "repatriated" to the United States, I worked on 2 jobs for which my employers contributed to the German Social Security System. Based on these times, I was granted a monthly pension of 15.41 Euro per month. However, since I didn't apply at age 65, they paid me only the amount due after age 76 since I, as I was told, applied too late. I protested about this decision but was not successful.
So, in other words, I did not qualify for a pension for my military service!

Best regards,
Rudi S.
http://www.feldgrau.com/interview6.html
Bruno
Supporter

Abgeschoben.

Post by Bruno »

I am not a lawyer and do not know the merits of an individual case, but the Wehrmacht did contribute.

To be eligible for a pension, the recipient must have paid into the insurance fund for a minimum length of time, 5 years or 60 months. So-called substitute periods, such as military service, count as insured periods. As a rule the retirement pension is disbursed beginning at the mandatory retirement age of 65, but under certain conditions (flexible retirement provision) it may be drawn at 63 or 60. The amount of the pension depends on the duration of participation and the size of the income earned during employment.

4 years 364 days of service in the Wehrmacht and you will not qualify?
Did Germany break it's contract with you too! It truly is neither fair nor just that you should be have been denied.

Hi Rudi, Sorry I was replying to the POW, you got in between here. You more or less confer with me. They are "tricksy" when it comes to paying out.
HaEn
WWII Vet

pension

Post by HaEn »

It gets even trickier, if the WAST and/or de Deutsche Dienstelle, "can not find you anywhere in the archives", even if you send them information and copies of documents. From there on you get sent from one to the other, till you give up. Ironically, from time to time there are big articles in the press lamenting that "Thousands of SS men are receiving HUGE benefits from Germany, in Canada and the U.S." I have no idea who generates these stories, but it is annoying. Oh well, only a few more years and the whole issue is moot. By the way, "hang in there Rudie", keep on breathing :D . Regards. HN